Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #16
SafteyCushion
"Ask better, learn more"

Oddometer: 82
How about archiving the "old" threads and let folks start new ones as wanted?
SafteyCushion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #17
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn View Post
How about create a Single Cylinder sub-forums under the BMW and KTM sections and move those bikes there. All others stay in the old Thumpers.

Example, under the BMW section you'd have the Boxers, Parallel Twins and Singles. Under KTM you'd have the LC8 Orange Crush and Singles.

Pretty often already now newbies accidentally post say BMW 650 single questions in BMW area as opposed to in the Thumpers.

I'd say moving out all KTM and BMW singles out of the Thumpers would create lot of room.

Edit. I just did a quick count. On page 1 of Thumpers right now there are 8 BMW threads, 8 KTM threads and 24 other thumper threads.
Based on this very limited sampling, moving BMW and KTM under their respective brand sections, that do excist already, would clear about 1/3 of the traffic out of Thumpers.

Mikko
+1
Old 03-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #18
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,333
If you do create sub forums, I hope you keep a "general" thumper forum as well. That way people that are cross shopping can get opinions from owners of all brands. Also, if people have more general thumper related questions (suspension, comparing displacement options, etc), they have a place to go.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #19
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Don't really understand the current problem. Run that by me again?
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #20
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBiker View Post
Rather than splits by brand, how about:

Split into Asian Thumpers / Euro Thumpers?

Maybe split by displacement? Above/below 500cc?

Just tossing thoughts out there. Of course, I'm half-drunk, so I'll probably look at this tomorrow and call myself a dumbass...

Or we could just call ya a dumbass today

I think the Asian Thumpers / Euro Thumpers would be the easy way to go...............but I'm dumbass..............and I'm gunna have a drink

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #21
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,109
Divide 2 Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
If you do create sub forums, I hope you keep a "general" thumper forum as well. That way people that are cross shopping can get opinions from owners of all brands. Also, if people have more general thumper related questions (suspension, comparing displacement options, etc), they have a place to go.
Totally agree.
Cutting along brand lines will do major harm to the charm.

Time to brood on other ways to make that division. Some suggestions:
-region where thumper was purchased (or is used, ...)
F.e. eastern/western hemisphere, though this would cut through good'ol england, sorry chaps.

-first owner or second hand
Another easy, clearcut line whithout connotations, that does not separate one brand or group of brands from the others.

Surely other and better suited ways can be found. The general aim however would be to keep thumpers of all kind represented in each of the subfora for that essential interaction.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #22
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
how about moving threads after they get over xx hits.... make a spot for high mileage thumper threads that stay active. something like the KLR mods thread is endless ... the 2 DR ones too, there are more.... some have over 50k replies. those could be easy targets. AND/OR remove threads that go quiet for xx weeks and put them in a thumper archive

that way the threads that only have a relatively "normal" life can come & go as they do now.

I like looking at problems, ideas, & opinions on bikes of all types

Beezer screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 06:03 PM
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #23
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Japanese (asian) and Euro split?
....and Generic/General for general inquiries/comparisons, etc.

No need to make it overly complicated. But what do I know-I can't even keep the alligators or the damned kids outta my yard!

Dirty

dirty_sanchez screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 06:24 PM
dirty_sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #24
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBiker View Post
The Combat Wombat deserves its own forum, indeed.
all 4 of them.....

Agree, this section is too...... somthing. Definitely needs to be split up in some manner.
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #25
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Sounds logical to me

Quote:
How about create a Single Cylinder sub-forums under the BMW and KTM sections and move those bikes there. All others stay in the old Thumpers.

Example, under the BMW section you'd have the Boxers, Parallel Twins and Singles. Under KTM you'd have the LC8 Orange Crush and Singles.

Pretty often already now newbies accidentally post say BMW 650 single questions in BMW area as opposed to in the Thumpers.

I'd say moving out all KTM and BMW singles out of the Thumpers would create lot of room.

Edit. I just did a quick count. On page 1 of Thumpers right now there are 8 BMW threads, 8 KTM threads and 24 other thumper threads.
Based on this very limited sampling, moving BMW and KTM under their respective brand sections, that do excist already, would clear about 1/3 of the traffic out of Thumpers.

Mikko
I think this is a fine idea.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #26
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Maybe you could start a new sub forum and call it something original, like say Thumper talk or something like that
davek181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #27
Joe
Debaser

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:

Mikko
FTW

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #28
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:

Mikko
I like this idea also!
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #29
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
That's horrible. If it had to be done, I'd like a second thumper forum just like this one. Don't move anything, just lock this one and whatever is here stays here. New threads have to go to Thumpers II, and then Thumpers III down the road. Would be too simple, and I would certainly browse through two identical thumper pages.

There would be 7 times as many threads entitled "what dual sport bike should I buy" and "what oil and tires are best for it" in all the different subforums if it were divided.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #30
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Whatever you do, please give the 2 strokes their own thread so that people will quit calling them thumpers.