Old 03-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #4396
GT-Rx
Guzzi freak

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
Todd also reflashes ECU's.
Thanks Doug.

Guys, I've been nostrils deep in Guzzi F.I. since '01. If you want to do it once and be done with it, I can save you a ton of time and money... and as we know, you get what you pay for. I've invested the price of a new Guzzi in hard/software and training to do it properly, as well as working as Dynojet's "Technical Advisor" for all things Guzzi since '01 as well.
FatDucs are proven not to work with the newer ECUs (sorry dirtymartini)... though they'll work OK on the '00-05 big block Guzzi (MM15RC ECU) with one lambda/02-sensor.
I fixed our friend 'ToadRide's '12 Stelvio that was corrupted while at Redline (hopefully Doug will expand from there), and I've also now re-flashed at least two corrupted ECUs that were programed with shareware programs. Caveat Emptor.
The bikes (as delivered) are horrifically lean due to Euro emission regs, though they run fair all things considered... but extreme engine temps are a resultant. Pop-on-decel is an extreme lean condition at closed throttle... and for those who know AFR's you'd cringe to see how they fuel bone stock. If you modify the bike at all (or even if not), you owe it to the bike to correct the fueling so it will run cooler, deliver more power, and offer much smoother throttle control/response.
Any one in the Coastal L.A. area is welcome to come try it. I can do all Guzzi, most Ducati, Aprilia and KTM twins.
Testimonials on the ECU flash here; http://forum.guzzitech.com/forum/235/4129.html#p34071 -- and Power Commander info here; http://forum.guzzitech.com/forum/235/2686.html - Dynojet is working on the dual 02-sensor models still, but I have the solution now.
Happy to answer questions direct e-mail shown below in my sig, replace at with @.

GT-Rx screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 12:00 PM
GT-Rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #4397
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Rx View Post
Thanks Doug.

FatDucs are proven not to work with the newer ECUs (sorry dirtymartini)... though they'll work OK on the '00-05 big block Guzzi (MM15RC ECU).
No problem, there are enough bikes that they will fit I'm sure I'll find a buyer
With the nasty non spring weather we're having in the northeast I haven't had a chance to try the re-flash yet. I reset the TPS and am just waiting for the weather to cooperate.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #4398
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
I back Todd solutions 100% of the way. After 'straightening me out', I took the plunge for the complete Power Commander setup. And I am totally glad I did. Unfortunately, as I think some of you know, I didn't get to enjoy it long enough due to the guy behind me probably texting and driving at the same time.
But, I can tell you that when you hit the trail with Todd's setup, it doesn't just end there. Carrying a netbook you get the free download of analysis software that, at say, 500 mile intervals, you capture a readout of the present ECU activities which you email to Todd. He then makes more minute adjustment and sends you back the adjustment which you input. This can go on till it just can't get any better or you get rear ended. Preferably the former.
Todd is a true, down to earth, no nonsense tech and I am convinced that there is no one knows more about Guzzi fuelling than him.
Money well spent.

Toadride screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 08:47 PM
Toadride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #4399
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Update as we rode just north of Carefree into the wilderness. Here is a picture of the switchbacks into the northern route from carefree.

Then off to Bartlett lake

Temperature was 72 degrees up there and 84 degrees in the city. I do find when in heavy traffic on Scottsdale drive the engine heat becomes uncomfortable. I steadily average 40 mpg when riding through the city and quickly go up to 50 mpg once out and going in the rural areas.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #4400
RAD3766
0ld n00b

Oddometer: 51
Out of lurkdom....finally.

After waiting very patiently for an insurance settlement check to show up, I'm very pleased to announce I paid a visit to Mike at MPH yesterday and ordered my Stelvio. (MPH is less than 20 miles from my house, arent I a lucky slob?)
While waiting patiently, Ive read and reread every review I could find and read this entire thread front to back a few times over making note of whats great about the Stelvio (lots!) and whats not so great (very little).
I already know to check the aux lights, check ground wiring, have the TPS and TB's checked (Mike said he would do this) and go over the whole bike with a torque wrench and a bottle of 242 among other little things.
Thanks to everybody who has contributed to this thread, glad to read of everybodys experiences with the Stelvio, sure confirmed my idea that Ive picked the right bike.
Jeebus, its gonna be a l-o-n-g month waiting for it to show up, now I know how the rest of y'all mustve felt.

Bob
RAD3766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #4401
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 756
Congratulations!

FWIW, there are few better places to get a Guzzi from, than Mike and Todd at MPH. You're lucky to be so close to their shop.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #4402
RAD3766
0ld n00b

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Gents,

it's a new season, I have a new bike and want to check if I have enough gents who want a rear rack:

Need about 4 to 5 to keep the price near $100 tab bend direction your choice. SS hardware included.
I'm in, PM sent. The first official farkle for "Sophia".
RAD3766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #4403
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
So I guess GT-RX the question is what do the modifications do to the mileage. How much cooler? Etc. I am not a real stickler for perfection. I just enjoy a bike that generally runs good the vast majority of the time and I find guys on here that split nats' asses with diamond blades so its hard to determine the extent of improvement. I have noted the popping at decel. I note heat in city. At 72 mph it runs so smooth I forget its even turned on.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #4404
ducwad
Livin' the dash

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
So I guess GT-RX the question is what do the modifications do to the mileage. How much cooler? Etc. I am not a real stickler for perfection. I just enjoy a bike that generally runs good the vast majority of the time and I find guys on here that split nats' asses with diamond blades so its hard to determine the extent of improvement. I have noted the popping at decel. I note heat in city. At 72 mph it runs so smooth I forget its even turned on.
I can't speak to the temperature issue yet (though that is the main reason I decied to get the ECU re-flashed by Guzzitech) but fuel economy takes a hit. I just filled up for the second time since getting the reflash and switching to an open airbox and Leo Vince pipe. My fuel economy has dropped from 38mpg or better to 30mpg. I did not expect that great a drop. It will mean more frequent fuel stops. In my commute I was able to get two full round trips before the changes and now it will only be one so I will likely have fill up every day.

That said bike runs great. No popping, surging, or other unwanted poor fueling induced effects.
1992 Ducati 900 Superlight
ducwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #4405
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducwad View Post
I can't speak to the temperature issue yet ......but fuel economy takes a hit........ My fuel economy has dropped from 38mpg or better to 30mpg. .
How many miles on the bike? My mileage was in the high 30s at first but as the miles increased so has my fuel economy. On the last trip of about 2,000 miles I was getting about 47 mpg. I have a bit over 7,000 miles on the bike now. As for heat, the left head on my bike will show about 170F when fully warmed up on a hot day. That temp is probably more a function of the oil temp since the head is cooled by oil.

Peter Y.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #4406
GT-Rx
Guzzi freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
So I guess GT-RX the question is what do the modifications do to the mileage. How much cooler? Etc. I am not a real stickler for perfection. I just enjoy a bike that generally runs good the vast majority of the time and I find guys on here that split nats' asses with diamond blades so its hard to determine the extent of improvement.
Depends largely on ambient air temp (the lower the temp the higher the consumption, well known/documented) and how much you twist the throttle. Since the motor is fuel/oil cooled, feeding it the AFR it really needs adds smoothness and power. I've personally witnessed about 40F drop using an infrared meter at the exhaust port of the head while on the dyno.
Again, you can find more answers including above on the ECU thread linked above.
If you're a MPG counter, it's not a mod I recommend. I get mid to high 30's with mine, and it'll lift the front tire in the first three gears. Otherwise, I don't really care. I only did the calc's because I am often asked.
If you want cooler running, more power where you use it the most, and all around better throttle smoothness, happy to be of help.
Also, what Peter above points out is also a huge factor in consumption. Towards 10k miles, and these motors really start to get their legs.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #4407
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,591
Tire question

I just ordered a set of Shinko 705's (because they were on sale!) Problem is I mistakenly ordered a radial rear and a bias front....my mistake but it will probably be a third of the price of the tire to send it back.

What are the issues with mixing a bias and radial tire? I know I shouldn't even ask and just send it back but I'm feeling cheap!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #4408
vivo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
harshness

Hey there Todd...

Question... I'm about to service my 13 NTX, a few hundred and it goes in. I'm ok with the bike except it is harsh from 3200 to say 4000 rpm. Assuming I'm not 100% thrilled with the bike after Ferracci balances the throttle bodies, adjusts TPS, and whatever he can do to make the bike run better, does your ECU re program change any of the vibration related harshness at all? What goes on in that range anyway, speaking of fueling?

Have you done a 13?

Vivo belasemp2@aol.com Phil
vivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #4409
ducwad
Livin' the dash

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
How many miles on the bike? My mileage was in the high 30s at first but as the miles increased so has my fuel economy. On the last trip of about 2,000 miles I was getting about 47 mpg. I have a bit over 7,000 miles on the bike now. As for heat, the left head on my bike will show about 170F when fully warmed up on a hot day. That temp is probably more a function of the oil temp since the head is cooled by oil.

Peter Y.
I'm just crossing 5K miles. Mine had also been slowly increasing. It started out mid to low 30s and had just gotten to high 30s before the changes.
1992 Ducati 900 Superlight
ducwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #4410
GT-Rx
Guzzi freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
Hey there Todd...Question... I'm about to service my 13 NTX, a few hundred and it goes in. I'm ok with the bike except it is harsh from 3200 to say 4000 rpm. Assuming I'm not 100% thrilled with the bike after Ferracci balances the throttle bodies, adjusts TPS, and whatever he can do to make the bike run better, does your ECU re program change any of the vibration related harshness at all? What goes on in that range anyway, speaking of fueling? Have you done a 13?
I spoke with Eraldo a few months ago. He told me he was going to start sending me ECUs. Vibration is fuel and exhaust related. The RPM range you speak of, is the transitional area from closed to open loop. Happy to pick up from there on my Forum, and direct e-mail coming your way after this post.