Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #61
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbusa View Post
Well i don't have my 950 Adventurer anymore, But when i tried to start it on very cold days,yes it would need warming up,Which i achieved by turning on the lights for a couple of moments. But believe me, it would crank way longer and faster than my old lead acid battery. I had one of the fuels lines pinched off one time by accident and cranked it way too long before discovering the problem,where the stock battery would of fell on its face way before the Shorai. Is there better batteries out there? Probably, But i am happy with the Shorai right now.And it has not failed me yet on an LC8,even with the smaller LFX18A1.
And lucky i don't go Starbucks very often,But my 950 with the Shorai was fine up the Dempster and Denali Highways with a GPS.radar detector,and heated vest and grips.
sounds like you made it, but just barely. if it was me I'd want a larger margin of error in larger reserve amp hour capacity. especially a long way from support.

just hope you never have a need for extended cranking .. like say getting a bad load of fuel ... we all know things never go wrong
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:22 AM   #62
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,222
At last you joined with facts CY.

I dare to enter this thread with a question. ive lost my connection to buy an ETX36 battery. Does anyone know where to get it, either US or EU works for me.

CY - You convinced me that i needed the extra Ah. And starting my project with an Yasu14 in a cold shed im willing to spend the extra for the POWER. Just need a good source.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #63
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
At last you joined with facts CY.

I dare to enter this thread with a question. ive lost my connection to buy an ETX36 battery. Does anyone know where to get it, either US or EU works for me.

CY - You convinced me that i needed the extra Ah. And starting my project with an Yasu14 in a cold shed im willing to spend the extra for the POWER. Just need a good source.
here's a picture of Earth-X ETX36 next to Shoria LFX36 .. both survived 200amp extended cranks with flying colors. Shorai LFX36 has survived a one year long term test with lots of 200+amp cold extended cranks. the jury is still out for Earth-X but it's looking pretty strong!

Earth-X ETX 36 is considerably smaller than LFX36 and water tight.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #64
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
sounds like you made it, but just barely. if it was me I'd want a larger margin of error in larger reserve amp hour capacity. especially a long way from support.

just hope you never have a need for extended cranking .. like say getting a bad load of fuel ... we all know things never go wrong
Hey no problem cy,I tell it like it is. Will update when i get my new 18 Shorai for my 990SD. I know i should get more juice,But its all about cost per amp
And up in Canada these suckers are not cheap. I think the Shorai 18 is costing me 184 dollars ,How does that compare with the earth?
Old 03-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #65
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbusa View Post
Hey no problem cy,I tell it like it is. Will update when i get my new 18 Shorai for my 990SD. I know i should get more juice,But its all about cost per amp
And up in Canada these suckers are not cheap. I think the Shorai 18 is costing me 184 dollars ,How does that compare with the earth?
pretty darn $$$ expensive! that's why my recommendation is go with a quality AGM... unless saving weight is more important than $$$. then if one is actually riding to parts unknown with little to no support .. go with largest AH LiFePO4 battery one can stuff into space available.

HUGE $$ differences in what one can get away with using for LiFePO4. for instance someone that only rides from a heated garage with a lithium charger handy... that person can get by with a much smaller LiFePO4 battery. but there's a base size a 1,000cc class high compression motorcycle will need.

someone only riding during warm weather, again from a fully equipped garage. their needs are going to be different than someone riding a looong ways from support.

all those extended 200amp crank tests look extreme, until one factors in what usually gets downed bikes going again. lots of times hooking 12v directly to fuel injection pump, then banging on pump, while cranking and cranking... and cranking will get your bike running again. with a good chance once bike gets running again, problems will clear itself. vs a looonngg $$$ expensive trip to the dealership
Old 08-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #66
PhilPassmore
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Just thought those who were concerned about the water-tightness or otherwise of the Shorai units might be interested in this document that is enclosed with current production from the manufacturer.

PhilPassmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #67
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

welcome to Adv .. please do stick around lots of good people here.

below instructions are a good start but doesn't cover what's really important when starting a motorcycle at cold temps below 30f. which is the reserve amp hour needed for reliable cold weather performance.

at -10c or 14f .. LiFePO4 loses about 1/2 it's amp hour capacity. yes getting current flowing does warm up LiFePO4 internals. heating battery up by drawing precious current could use up a major chunk of your limited AH reserves. lights, starter, heated grips, etc uses real AH .. not pb/eq.

ahhhh .. what if your bike doesn't start with the first crank? at say 20f it's normal to take several cranks for your engine to start. take a LiFePO4 with a tiny AH reserve, then drop by 1/2, one crank could be all you get .. how lucky do ya feel?

KTM 990 a minimum of 12AH AGM to have a hope of being reliable in cold weather. LiFePO4 is no different at colder temps, it's also going to need about same actual AH to be reliable for cold weather duties.

KTM folks have a tendency to ride their bikes to remote locations in some of the nastiest weather conditions. with no kick starter you cannot take a chance on getting stuck with a no start bike.

stick with AGM for cold weather conditions if you are not willing and/or able to buy the largest LiFePO4 that will fit into battery tray.

one viable tactic is to use a small LiFePO4 for warm weather duties, then switch to AGM for cold weather. otherwise for 990, EarthX ETX36 (14AH) is the only LiFePO4 that I'm aware of with enough AH to be reliable in cold conditions and still fit into tiny battery tray.

------------------
Q. Cold Weather Performance Expectations?

A. Down to about 20 degrees Fahrenheit (-7C) most users find that they can start normally on first crank. If your headlight comes on at key-ON, it is good for the batteries to flow some current before cranking in cold weather. The suggested headlight-on time before cranking depends on the temperature. If starting at 40F/5C, 30 seconds will help wake the battery and increase cranking performance. If at 0F/-17C, leave the lights on for 4~5 minutes before cranking. The result will be a better first crank, and longer battery life. If the engine fails to start on first crank, that first crank has warmed the battery, and the second attempt will be much stronger. Other accessories that can be turned on before cranking can also be used for this purpose, such as heated gear, radio, etc... Insuring that the battery is fully charged after storage also improves first-start performance in cold weather.

_cy_ screwed with this post 08-29-2014 at 05:18 PM
Old 08-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #68
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKRYDER View Post
I just installed a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 ultra lightweight high performance battery in my 990 Adventure R and it's working fine, but I just learned that this battery is not waterproof and I do 2-3 week rides through tons of mud, dirt and sand including deep water crossings. I'm concerned that this battery is going to shit the bed on me in the middle of nowhere hundreds of miles from the nearest motorcycle shop.?

My bike had that same battery here. Left my bike like this for about 16 hours ( had to walk out )

Got there the next morning, and it cranked over and started while still in the water. So I think a little mud would be ok.

It did die months later when I drained it. Now I have a earthx 36c
rburkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:25 AM   #69
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,784
I follow a different approach.

I use a cheapo 35euro lead acid battery that is cheap enough to replace every year or whenever it dies and a small LiFePo starting battery by AntiGravity to be safe and able to start whenever I am left stranded, till I buy my next cheapo chinese battery.

http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/micro-start-xp-1/
expenssive but gives me peace of mind.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote