Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #211
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
The 1150 just sits in the stable as the 990 is being ridden 99% of the time.

I agree, the clutch plates should last longer with the Rekluse. A few people have experienced a notching problem with the EXP after 10K miles or so. If these notches keep growing then the clutch doesn't disengage.

I'm hoping this is as bad as they get

Moto-Treks

moto-treks screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 11:38 AM
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #212
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
EXP - latest adjustment

Have had the EXP on my 990ADV for a few months and have been playing with the different settings during that time. I definitely like how it requires a lot less feathering of the clutch in technical stuff, but wasn't that happy with the downhill engine braking, as it always seemed to cut out when I needed it (even when blipping the throttle). There were a few time when I went a bit more off road than I had planned

After talking to the folks at Rekluse tech support - great folks by the way - I recently changed the springs to the 950 low engagement set up (3 red/3silver) with the medium weights.

Took it out today for a 70 mile ride - my dirt loop - and what a difference! Engine braking when I need, even in the really slow stuff (in first gear). And the clutch engagement was smooth - I would say fully hooked by about 2300 rpm. My warm idle is about 1300 rpm and the clutch starts grabbing about 1500 rpm

It still chatters and drags a bit when cold - but once it warms up it is almost undetectable. At a light, I can just feel it drag once in a while. It doesn't move the bike and the bike moves back and forth as it did before. Running about 7/8 of a turn in. Had it at 1 full turn with no drag at all, but it seemed to engage a little slower.

I like it

Unkgd screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 06:38 PM
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #213
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Unkgd: Sounds like the hot ticket. I think I may set mine up like yours. I also run a 15-42 final drive and am swapping to 16-47 tomorrow. Yes a tad taller but I dont really see any interstate riding. Maybe with a better engagement and getting the lower rpm compression braking without disengagement- I will step down to 16-45. The 15 counter is a little hard on the chain and I am seeing some wear on my upper guide. I think the EXP set up proper with a 16-45 would be the all around set up. Currently I have mine set so it just barely creeps with the MED set up. I use my clutch still at stops and starts and count on the EXP to help out with the technical stuff. Head out for a 5 day test Thursday
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #214
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
Unkgd: Sounds like the hot ticket. I think I may set mine up like yours. I also run a 15-42 final drive and am swapping to 16-47 tomorrow. Yes a tad taller but I dont really see any interstate riding. Maybe with a better engagement and getting the lower rpm compression braking without disengagement- I will step down to 16-45. The 15 counter is a little hard on the chain and I am seeing some wear on my upper guide. I think the EXP set up proper with a 16-45 would be the all around set up. Currently I have mine set so it just barely creeps with the MED set up. I use my clutch still at stops and starts and count on the EXP to help out with the technical stuff. Head out for a 5 day test Thursday
Having seen pictures from some of your earlier rides - look forward to your thoughts after your 5 day ride!
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #215
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
where are you finding the 47 tooth sprocket? I just picked up a SE and am pretty sure it's 16-45. It seems when I looked at most manufacturers they only have 45 as the biggest rear sprocket for the 9x0 bikes.

I have a rekluse in my 450 XC and love it. I think the rekluse in my 950 will be one of the only mods I do in the near future. that should help in the tight stuff...
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #216
KTMforget
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
where are you finding the 47 tooth sprocket? I just picked up a SE and am pretty sure it's 16-45. It seems when I looked at most manufacturers they only have 45 as the biggest rear sprocket for the 9x0 bikes.
We have a 46 tooth SuperSprox in stock - just trying to help.

http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...90-detail.html

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!
KTMforget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #217
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post

I have a rekluse in my 450 XC and love it. I think the rekluse in my 950 will be one of the only mods I do in the near future. that should help in the tight stuff...
Dirt Tricks makes it. Put on a new 16T ktm counter with the Dirt Tricks 47 and a new X chain. Glad I did the old counter sprocket was getting a little loose on the splines. I have to say it is pretty rock stompin torquey with this combo. Planned to head out bright and early but 2 little hurdles to get over. #1, got a small job to knock out at work. #2 I may have a water pump shaft/seal job to deal with. I thought it was condensation I was seeing in my clutch area, very cold nights with short drive to work then having the sun shining on the case - But I looked at it again before leaving work tonight and it looks like a bit more then condensation. But when I look at my oil in the tank it is not foamed up ? Anyone with a clear clutch cover see white film during the cold riding season ?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #218
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,954
Quote:
I thought it was condensation I was seeing in my clutch area, very cold nights with short drive to work then having the sun shining on the case - But I looked at it again before leaving work tonight and it looks like a bit more then condensation. But when I look at my oil in the tank it is not foamed up ? Anyone with a clear clutch cover see white film during the cold riding season ?

Clear cover and cold weather.... It's that time of year for a CJD reminder.

WARM those bikes up and don't be over alarmed if you see some slime on the window. Short drives will not burn off the condensation fast enough as the temps cool down. Give a good ride, 45 min - 1 hr before you get concerned and rip into a Water pump job.

All bikes have condensation build up, but now you can see it. Good and bad thing with this cover.

We also have 47 supersprox and 49 supersprox rears in stock, for those looking for lower gearing.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #219
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Craig ! I guessed that was the case. Love the cover, Real nice work on it. Maybe see ya in December if I get back "home" for the holidays.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #220
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,954
Great, Ring me up. Be nice to see you again.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #221
patoche
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Opinion for use EXP rekluse only on the raod

Hello,
Sorry, my Englich is not very well.
I know the rekluse EXP because I have a KTM 350 EXC enduro and I have one on this bike.
I have just bought one 990 Adventure of 2008.
I find this so great automatic clutch that I hesitate to put it on my 990.
But I use this motorcycle only on road.
Think that it is good; in use on road only.
It is someone could express me his opinion. (For the road)

I ride sporting. ( a little bit full gaz )
I do not make a city. ( No traffic light to much)
Does not the clutch skate, because of the big power???
Thank you very much beforehand.
Greetings since France (La Rochelle - Bordeaux)

patoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #222
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by patoche View Post
Hello,
[SIZE=3]Sorry, my Englich is not very well.
I know the rekluse EXP because I have a KTM 350 EXC enduro and I have one on this bike.
I have just bought one 990 Adventure of 2008.
I find this so great automatic clutch that I hesitate to put it on my 990.
Sent you a pm
Old 03-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #223
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by patoche View Post
Hello,
But I use this motorcycle only on road.
Think that it is good; in use on road only.

I wouldn't put a rekluse on if you ride only on the road. They are a great clutch for off road. On road I don't notice a benefit.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #224
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
I wouldn't put a rekluse on if you ride only on the road. They are a great clutch for off road. On road I don't notice a benefit.
I have the EXP on my 990 and its great, glad I got it and would cert buy another. But if I never got off the road, I wouldnt even consider one.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #225
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
The EXP is great on pavement too. Makes it so easy to ride in stop-and-go traffic and riding in the city is now a breeze.