Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 05:27 AM   #16
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
Seats are very subjective. I bought a custom-built seat from Renazco for my F800GS. When it arrived, I used it while riding a half-day in the Micheux State Forest and on paved roads. I listed it for sale on the ADVRider flea market within 24 hours. It was no more comfortable than the BMW standard seat. I submit the expensive Renazco is best suited for the riding and bikes on which Renazco built their reputation, rather than heavy dual-sports.

But then, after all, seats are very subjective!

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Fred,

I fully support your experience in that when I first put the seat on I was not amazed! It was better than the stock seat and even the bmw rally seat but I was still not overly impressed. Then I put some miles on it, it definitely had a break in period and I have hit a point where it is great. The biggest issue I was having is that my ischial tuberosities (major contact point for moto seats) were taking a beating on the other seats and I never had that occur with the renazco seat. This is usually the pain people talk about. But everyone has a different shape to their posterior so it is not a magic cure all for the bike. I am in the process of making an add on to this great seat for serious mileage. Essentially it will be a strap secured seat enhancer that will make the seat platform larger and eliminate the small depression, it will be able to come off easily etc... When I get a good product put together I will post pictures.

Adam
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #18
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Fred,

I fully support your experience in that when I first put the seat on I was not amazed! It was better than the stock seat and even the bmw rally seat but I was still not overly impressed. Then I put some miles on it, it definitely had a break in period and I have hit a point where it is great. The biggest issue I was having is that my ischial tuberosities (major contact point for moto seats) were taking a beating on the other seats and I never had that occur with the renazco seat. This is usually the pain people talk about. But everyone has a different shape to their posterior so it is not a magic cure all for the bike. I am in the process of making an add on to this great seat for serious mileage. Essentially it will be a strap secured seat enhancer that will make the seat platform larger and eliminate the small depression, it will be able to come off easily etc... When I get a good product put together I will post pictures.

Adam
If anyone can do this... it is you.... My butt, and body for that matter, dont like the memory foam in there..... But James is the first one to say that all butts are not the same, and he is trying to generalize, for all butt's out there. I think that eventually I will replace the memory foam in there with regular foam. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

This won't be a solo endeavor, I am talking to James about it because I do not have the expertise in this department.

This is the concept, it would be a direct cinch and clip that would hug the other seat, increasing the seat width and height.

photo 1_zps9f5843f3.jpg

photo 2_zps9de39dbe.jpg
Old 03-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #20
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
Very interesting....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #21
coloktmGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
FWIW...I bought ebrabaek's suede renazco and I love it. It's proof that all butts aren't the same as it works great for me. Any other seat and I use an airhawk for any ride over 30 min. Only conundrum I see with the proposed design is the width up front would make it very tough to stand. Biggest issue I have with the renazco is when I stand up, it's wide for getting my feet on the pegs. I move forward to the narrow section and it's better. If you widen the whole seat, I would think it's harder yet.

Then again, maybe you just have them 'good birthin' hips'
coloktmGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #22
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Yeah I took a piece of crappy foam I found and made a very garage gangsta trial and it wasn't bad at all for my proposed usage. I plan on using it for long multiday trips, like 400+ miles a day for 2 weeks when I do my Alaska trip. As it really doesn't get much larger than the actual frame of the bike it isn't bad at all and I am 6'1" I clear it no problem. We shall see, I just need to get back to the workshop.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #23
KTM250rm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
All I know is that I rode my bike for 2 hours 2 weeks ago and before I had the seat replaced, I couldn't ride it over 30 mins without feeling like I rode a horse bearback. My butt now thanks me.
KTM250rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #24
OBD
Other Brother

Oddometer: 124
i thought they weren't making the 800GS seats with suede anymore because the material shrinks slightly and pulls the nose away from the 'tank' up front..

anyways i got one with the vinyl cover and about 1.5" taller height and love it..no more feeling like the boys are getting crushed, no burning after 20-30 minutes and the additional height is welcome when going from seated to standing and back again..
being 6' tall i can touch 1-footed at traffic lights.. coming from a dirt bike background, that feels just fine.
i swapped seats with a friend mid-ride so he could try my saddle and that uncomfortable feeling was back almost immediately.
not surprising i had a little difficulty getting my friend to stop and give my seat back!
anyone know if they still require your old seat pan or do they stock them now?
OBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #25
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
I'm on the list to get a seat!!