Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #16651
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
I dropped by the local BMW dealer to check out the new GS and ended taking it for a 40 minute test ride. Real gem of a motor. Revs quick and pulls very hard, with enough low end torque that it will drive out of a very slow corner in 3rd gear without complaint. Power output is much greater than the S10. Obviously Yamaha's 1200cc liquid cooled twin could have been tuned to a much high spec and the power tamed with different driving modes, it's a real shame that Yamaha didn't do more in this respect. The GS sounds fantastic with a deep, throaty tone. I don't know how BMW manages to get that loud of an exhaust approved, but Yamaha goes with a muffler that sounds like a garbage disposal.

twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #16652
okiegtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
okiegtrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #16653
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 240
Interesting cause I rode the new GS for about the same time and sorry but the S10 beats it hands down. Ok it is quicker, has cruise and lighter but it stops there. It would be nice if the S10 was bit lighter had cruise and tweaked the engine a bit but for the money you can not beat the S10.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #16654
clint64
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Excellent News Geology Rocks.
clint64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #16655
Boyd Koehler
I'll ride anywhere.

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
Well everyone. I did it. it took me 14 months and 2 weeks, but I freaking did it. It started with being in the hospital for 3 months, 10 months in a wheelchair, and the last 4 months or so using custom Tenere blue leg braces and a blue carbon cane. When I went to my doctors on tuesday he said do what I feel I can and live my life. My life includes motorcycles, so here it is. I cried, I laughed, I screamed in my helmet, I thanked my wife for her support, and I thanked God for the gifts in my life. It was an incredible feeling. I cannot even express the feeling. Thank you all for continuing to encourage me and stand behind me and my goal of riding again.

I sit on the bike and put my helmet and gloves on. Fold up my cane and put it in the pannier. Lift the bike off the side stand and off I go. Knee braces and leg supports are under my riding gear. Its still painful and hard to do, but I can do it.

You can see my smile under the helmet!
Best News Of The Day! Excellent
Old 03-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #16656
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podman View Post
Interesting cause I rode the new GS for about the same time and sorry but the S10 beats it hands down. Ok it is quicker, has cruise and lighter but it stops there. It would be nice if the S10 was bit lighter had cruise and tweaked the engine a bit but for the money you can not beat the S10.
Yeah, I agree the S10 is good bang for the buck but for the same money Yamaha could have tuned the motor a bit better. At the very least done away with the tuning that created a $450 surcharge to get rid of the 1-3 gear restrictions. The GS pulls like a beast in both road and dynamic modes right off the showroom floor.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #16657
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I dropped by the local BMW dealer to check out the new GS
And this is posted in the Yamaha Super Tenere thread because why?
Old 03-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #16658
hANNAbONE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Thumb

Quote:
Well everyone. I did it. it took me 14 months and 2 weeks, but I freaking did it. It started with being in the hospital for 3 months, 10 months in a wheelchair, and the last 4 months or so using custom Tenere blue leg braces and a blue carbon cane. When I went to my doctors on tuesday he said do what I feel I can and live my life. My life includes motorcycles, so here it is. I cried, I laughed, I screamed in my helmet, I thanked my wife for her support, and I thanked God for the gifts in my life. It was an incredible feeling. I cannot even express the feeling. Thank you all for continuing to encourage me and stand behind me and my goal of riding again.

I sit on the bike and put my helmet and gloves on. Fold up my cane and put it in the pannier. Lift the bike off the side stand and off I go. Knee braces and leg supports are under my riding gear. Its still painful and hard to do, but I can do it.

Good On Ya, JOE.!!!

Congrat's being back on 2-wheels..!!

??did you order your RADIATION STICKERS yet??
hANNAbONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #16659
hANNAbONE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post

Thanks 20v : ya beat me to it. B^)

??did you order your RADIATION STICKERS yet??
hANNAbONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #16660
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,420
Quote:

Outstanding. Very happy for you.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #16661
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,215
Quote:
I dropped by the local BMW dealer to check out the new GS and ended taking it for a 40 minute test ride...

I think that bike is beautiful.

I can't afford one, and have a prejudice against Euro bikes. But, if I did have spare cash sittin' around, I can't guarantee that I wouldn't put my prejudice aside, for long enough to try it out for a few months.

Quote:
Yeah, I agree the S10 is good bang for the buck but for the same money Yamaha could have tuned the motor a bit better...

Understatement of the decade...

Quote:
...At the very least done away with the tuning that created a $450 surcharge to get rid of the 1-3 gear restrictions...

Amen...

...and that horrible off-idle dip that is so obvious when you ride it (and in all the dyno charts that have been posted).

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #16662
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
I figure it is a troll.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #16663
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post
I figure it is a troll.
This. I'm not gonna bite.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #16664
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 627
Quote:

We can definetely see it
Congrats and glad you back on the road
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #16665
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post
I figure it is a troll.

Maybe he's just not punch-drunk off the Blue koolaid, and wanted to initiate some positive discourse.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote