Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 03:04 AM   #31
HunSolo
Mad Monk

Oddometer: 378
Pay attention to the fit of the ball joint into the trailing arm. When I pulled mine, the joint shaft had obviously been orbiting in the oversize hole. The non-tapered shaft was quite sloppy on my '07 GS (21" Woody, Wunderlich triple clamp), enough so that BMW offered to replace the arm, though the bike was out of warranty. When the new part arrived, it had the same sloppy fit. I solved the problem with a section of brass feeler gauge as a wrap-around shim.

The stiffer triple clamp will give you a lot more than just clearance for your 21" front. At least with the Italian Wunderlich clamp, the bike steers much sharper and is less forgiving than with the original softer lower clamp. Feels more rigid, like a race bike, and requires more of the rider, like a race bike. Fun, but like everything else, you get something and you give something up.
HunSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #32
Disco Dean OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
Interesting. My ball joint has a tapered foot and straight shaft. The shaft fits very tightly to the a-arm hole and I twisted an Allen socket tightening it to torque so I think your unit must have been loose for a while.

Either way here are the disks for the new woodsy wheels coming. Very nice units. And the ft fork top clamp bushings to make it all fresh and tighter than a.....

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #33
mark0ne
Ralle-Moto Adventure

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunSolo View Post
Pay attention to the fit of the ball joint into the trailing arm. When I pulled mine, the joint shaft had obviously been orbiting in the oversize hole. The non-tapered shaft was quite sloppy on my '07 GS (21" Woody, Wunderlich triple clamp), enough so that BMW offered to replace the arm, though the bike was out of warranty. When the new part arrived, it had the same sloppy fit. I solved the problem with a section of brass feeler gauge as a wrap-around shim.

The stiffer triple clamp will give you a lot more than just clearance for your 21" front. At least with the Italian Wunderlich clamp, the bike steers much sharper and is less forgiving than with the original softer lower clamp. Feels more rigid, like a race bike, and requires more of the rider, like a race bike. Fun, but like everything else, you get something and you give something up.
Interesting you had the issue with the oversize hole..... Like Dean said the bike's we have fitted to have had a hardened steel cone washer to seat into the arm. Did yours have this washer/spacer? The other thing maybe to check is the surface finish on the seat in the arm, if it is a bit rough the chatters can be pushed back down and create a tiny tiny clearance that then over turns into SLOP!!!

I have to admit it would not be the first out of tolerance parts I have seen on BMW's over the years and even a few less on KTM's but they are far worse when they do happen on the orange bikes......(frame twisted from the ktm factory to the point of 25mm miss alignment of the wheels)

I rode a 06 with the wunderlich clamp on and motard wheels a few years back and it was great!! Exactly like you say it became very responsive and sports bike like!

We wanted to make this product some time ago but hours were not on our side! But now we have an even better part that is even stronger and in my completely bias opinion looks heaps better too!

Cheers
Vaughan
Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #34
mark0ne
Ralle-Moto Adventure

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Dean View Post
Interesting. My ball joint has a tapered foot and straight shaft. The shaft fits very tightly to the a-arm hole and I twisted an Allen socket tightening it to torque so I think your unit must have been loose for a while.

Either way here are the disks for the new woodsy wheels coming. Very nice units. And the ft fork top clamp bushings to make it all fresh and tighter than a.....

Just a quick one Dean, when you push the bushings out maybe spay some penetrating spay around them first, I have replaced quite a few of these and every now and then you get some that have completely seized in the alloy clamp from corrosion. Do it the night before, it wont hurt and it might just save a few headaches!

Also use a socket or turn up a sleeve to press them in and out from the outer casing not on the internal part as the outer casing is very thin almost just tin, it will just stretch the outer casing and give it more freeplay than the ones you pushed out!

I know you probably already all over it but on the chance you or someone else had not done those bushes before these are quite handy tips that can possibly save someone a few hand fulls of hair!!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #35
Disco Dean OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the notes on it. I haven't done it yet and was planning on doing it this weekend. So good to know thanks.

Dean

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Old 03-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #36
Disco Dean OP
Beastly Adventurer

Next up the new skins!!! After much deliberation and soul searching I settled on the TKC80's. So have the Skouts on the oem rims and TKC's on the dirt. If I do some hard core dirt then I can get me some Moto tires.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #37
Disco Dean OP
Beastly Adventurer

Good notes for the bushings. They were tough. But all is well. Everything went in straight. But had to remove the top clamp which should be easy but the bolt was insane. Even with the impact driver it took a slow careful hour to do. Those damn Germans and locktite. Cleaned it out and it turned on with my fingers. Anyway now all I do is wait for the wheels to arrive.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #38
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Dean View Post
Next up the new skins!!! After much deliberation and soul searching I settled on the TKC80's. So have the Skouts on the oem rims and TKC's on the dirt.
Decided to stay with TKC80s on mine too after years of being pleased with them.

Seeing as I'm still waiting for my wheel, do you have any updates on how the front end feels with the Ralle-Moto clamp installed?
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #39
Disco Dean OP
Beastly Adventurer

Still waiting for the wheels but have ridden with the 19x17 inch oem set.

It is cold here so I haven't pushed it yet - and of course it is just seat of the pants - but it feels great.

Overal all, tighter in the bars - that is where I really feel it. It has actually seemed to help the Scout front tire from feeling as vague. So all I can say is it really does seem to help quite a bit. Much more instand input kind of thing.

It is going to be warmer tomorrow and I plan on a good long ride along many roads I am very familiar with - so a better comparison will be in order.

So far - much improved and much tighter feeling front end. I did also replace the orbital bearings in the front triple clamp but do not really think they needed it and do not think that has contributed as much to the front end feel.

Interesting when I did replace the top clamp and the bottom clamp supported the forks completely - how much movement is in even the new clamp - I cannot imagine (as I did not test this before on the old one) how bad that would have been. It really highlights the stress here and how much the new clamp is helping.

I get my new rims next week now....

Old 03-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #40
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
I also liked the TKC80's and did the same. IMHO in the 21" size they are crap on big heavy bikes.
Flimsy weak thing that needed 35psi minimum pressure. It's square flat profile had me looking for something with more edge grip for both tar or dirt.
Currently using MT-21's. They walk around a bit more than the TKC-80's but i can push them harder around tarmac corners and simply a better off-road tyre. It's also one of the cheaper options here in Oz.

Please do tell about the how the bike feels with the clamp.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:36 AM   #41
MANXMAN
Overlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
Currently using MT-21's. They walk around a bit more than the TKC-80's but i can push them harder around tarmac corners and simply a better off-road tyre.
I was going to use a MT-21 on the front for my mostly dirt Idaho backcountry ride this summer, so it sounds like you are confirming it will be the right choice.

Hopefully the TKC80 will be OK for the 50/50 rides until then.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #42
Disco Dean OP
Beastly Adventurer

Did 600km yesterday on roads I know well. Dirt and pavement. Quite noticeable for sure. In all respects. Did 150km with my 180lb son on the back so it normally really show with the weight when making quick transitions. That is where I can confirm it.

Overall without question. And regardless of if you put a 21inch on it. Highly recommended and well worth the price.

Good job Rallymoto!

Now to get those darn rims on this week!

Old 03-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #43
MANXMAN
Overlander

Thanks for the report. Sounds great!

Now where is my #%&$! wheel
Old 03-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #44
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
Thanks for the report. Sounds great!

Now where is my #%&$! wheel

A 21 front is in my near future....looking forward to your review

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #45
Disco Dean OP
Beastly Adventurer

Told they went out on Thursday. Should be dirt riding the 21 this weekend!!! Come on UPS!