Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #7201
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
Same here. National open house and introduction weekend for the LC at the dealers, and snowing heavily
Was hoping for a quick test ride today
No more snow here. But i did drive in the snow last night. But at least it isn't freezing.

I am not going to the dealer for a testdrive. Going to wait patiently (not really) for mine to arrive.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #7202
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Talking imho , ymmv so on and so forth... feel the force...errr..umm the light

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Agree on the HID, removed mine. Annoyed too many drivers in day and night and the beam was so scattered it didn't really enhance my vision that much. Clearwaters are very usuable on road. A friend has them and they come with a dimmer, so you can dim them during the day for a great DRL and it hooks to your high beam so when you activate the high beams the clearwaters come on 100% power. Much better option than the BMW aux lights IMO.

.......AND NOTHING WRONG with properly executed HID when LEDS are not available, or cost effective, or a "know quantity/ quality"......

Different HID setups yield different results. These things must be considered.

Volume of light... How much is given off, how far down the road it is projected etc

Quality of light ...different light has characteristics as it is reflected back to the eye.

Color of light... In europe many use yellow in some of their lighting schema. Yellow will enhance seeing and being seen for many different reasons

Accuracy of light...of course a laser is to focused and a flood light is used for road construction. Some where in the middle, the emitted light for single track ( or double track) needs to be. I tried several makes of HID systems. These http://www.xenonrider.com/ worked the best.

How the light is perceived by others.... this is of utmost importance...i hope the reader understands this point, and all of its nuances etc... If not best of luck to you.

Here is the deal. BMW lights, have for the most part, not been as well designed as many astute informed owners would prefer/ want/need. They were always lacking in some or many of the categories I speak of. Were the HID's perfect...NO. But they were far superior in ALL counts to the BMW set up!!

THIS is equally important... Due to the nature of our chosen mode of transport, MORE than just a single headlight are required if one wants to maintain some modicum of safety. Hence the abundance of aftermarket solutions. Lights like Piaa, Hella ( btw these are awesome, ask how i know http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=4261 ) then and Clearwater now ..well all of these fill the gap for the single headlight dilemma. In fact with the hella i mention here, that would be all you need to TOTALLY ILLUMINATE your path less taken!!!!!!!!!!

As to the issue of legality that was very simple. If one executes the implementation of HIDs in a responsible manner, they do not bedazzle
on-comming cagers. The only time I was pulled over was for not dipping my Hellas to on-comming vehicles. I was simply warned that no high beam is allowed to remain on, in that circumstance, ... as that is how the law is written.

In addition, MANY MANY, 4WD P/U driving, "TABAKKI CHEWIN" "GOOD OLE BOYS" & "RICERS" in their Faux NIssan-GTR wannabes, with their Bizzar color lights are far worse offenders. The local Gendarme could care less. Not only could they care less but they are clueless...if one incorporates HID correctly. It is a science, and those that are un-informed or ham-fisted need not apply!!! Be warned, to not proceed as I have said can be problem-matic!

I rode my HID R1200GS all over the southern half of the USA. I was never even asked about the lights. Like I said, High Power HIGH BEAMS etc can garner the wrong kind of attention.

So, in the end this effort was to simply illuminate the subject a bit more. After all we must be seen and see..RIGHT?
Costs aside the questions will in time, be answered.
Will the BMW LED be effective, durable, pleasing, Cost effective... only the shadow knows for sure.
Now you know ...........the rest of the story ( as opposed to a drive-by blurb with less than satisfactory cogitation)

Racegun screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 09:43 AM Reason: complete the process
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #7203
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,233
Had a go on one today, very nice motor. Will be keeping a close eye on the beta testers.

twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #7204
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinriderHad a go on one today, very nice motor. Will be keeping a close eye on the beta testers.

[IMG
http://twinrider.smugmug.com/photos/i-TVv4pNG/0/X2/i-TVv4pNG-X2.jpg[/IMG]

CHAYEEEABUDDY!!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #7205
maximo de la maximus
Abracadabra Holmes

Oddometer: 56
[IMG]03/23/13-GS purchase date[/IMG]

[IMG]03/23/13[/IMG]

Feeling your pain in the UK....

For those asking about the software update for enduro pro; I'll re-confirm today but when asked my dealer told me the mode was ready to use. (I originally asked when upon first inspection I didn't see the plug under the seat... turns out it was with the oodles of other material in the plastic bag.)

Going back today to finalize purchase- Will get some more pics and try to answer the nav iv question, photo the under seat area, and not lose the tool kit.

maximo de la maximus screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 09:38 AM
maximo de la maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #7206
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
One more video to dwell over while we wait for the snow to melt.

Max :-)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #7207
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximo de la maximus View Post
[IMG]03/23/13-GS purchase date[/IMG]

[IMG]03/23/13[/IMG]

Feeling your pain in the UK....

For those asking about the software update for enduro pro; I'll re-confirm today but when asked my dealer told me the mode was ready to use. (I originally asked when upon first inspection I didn't see the plug under the seat... turns out it was with the oodles of other material in the plastic bag.)

Going back today to finalize purchase- Will get some more pics and try to answer the nav iv question, photo the under seat area, and not lose the tool kit.
that is a pretty picture... just think how much you will appreciate when the snow meltz and you get to ride in such a beautiful part of the world....IT IS ALL GOOD! I use times like these to show my wife plenty of attention, that way when I ask to take a weekend off so I can ride 2,000 miles or so, she will be glad to loosen the reigns!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #7208
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
One more video to dwell over while we wait for the snow to melt.

Max :-)

Max, do you work for Stephen Spielberg? I think BMW owes you something... like free service for life or something.... Great Job!!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #7209
maximo de la maximus
Abracadabra Holmes

Oddometer: 56
Thanks Raceguy

Racegun- I know you're intent is pure and you are clearly a zen genius. however, my wife also rides! I know, I know... patience.

Maybe I'll just clean the garage today!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #7210
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximo de la maximus View Post
racegun- i know you're intent is pure and you are clearly a zen genius. However, my wife also rides! I know, i know... Patience.

Maybe i'll just clean the garage today!

schaweeet
Old 03-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #7211
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Haha! I have no idea how I missed that... I've been following this thread since it started. I'll go sit in the corner with my GS dunce hat on now.

That could be me sitting on the GS, need that supersized screen

Weather not that bad in Vancouver but no new WC's!
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #7212
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Right, I've been out in the garage and had another look round the bike. No Enduro pro plug under the seat, so I'll get onto my dealer on Monday. The rear seat is a little fiddly to remove at first, but once you have the knack, its easy.

Here are some more pictures

Pivot Pegz

Touratech side stand enlarger

Touratech radiator guards

One world sticker

Touratech tail bag

And a picture under the seat, as requested

Old 03-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #7213
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
I will never start to post negative comments in other bike forum and bitch about Harleys and KTMs, what is the point. So to all of you who have nothing else to write than negative comments: Leave this forum and remember to close the door behind you.
I don't recall anything in the posting rules that say all posts in a bike-specific thread have to be positive about the bike. People are entitled to express their opinions. If they're reasonable and well-formed, I welcome them. And there is the hypocrisy in posting a negative comment about posters who post a negative comment.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #7214
JoshBMW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Rode one yesterday just around the parking lot.

Friend Demoed one he got some road miles.

Cluch is excelent. Motor is responsive, weight with power is more than noticalbe over a 1150 but that's kinda a "duh" statment. She felt great, do the foot pegs placement bug any one elce when stopped? Did not bug me but they sit right were you want to put your legs down and as such make the inseam of the bike loger than it really is.

Bike is ugly as sin, the demo did not have all the gizmos and the turn signals are all fucked up But over all I will say BMW did a nice job.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
JoshBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #7215
specs
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hi new on here.

Enduro pro plugs are being held by the dealer here in Wales until there is a software update for them or for the bike. They didn't mention a timescale.
specs is offline   Reply With Quote