Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #31
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootern29 View Post
I was gonna post more today...........but...........I got sidetracked and had to buy this bike.
Sweet machine! What model, year, cc's, etc.?
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #32
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
1974 TY 250A. First year of the trials bikes. I am sure it will run and will do another thread if I don't sell it.
Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #33
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I spent some time soda blasting some of the aluminum parts as well as some of the other hardware.

I took my little palm sander to the brake stay arm to take some of the scratches out of it.

Took the backing plate apart as it was pretty dirty.

Got it all painted up and installed the rear wheel into the swing arm.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #34
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Next up is working on the motor. I will polish the rims at a later date. I had to soak the flywheel nut for quite a few days as it was pretty nasty. I needed to wait a few days for a new puller as the one I bought a couple of months ago wouldn't fit this bike.

Got the flywheel off and yep it is pretty nasty. The bike ran like this which to me is pretty amazing being it has an electronic ignition.

The stator is equally as nasty.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #35
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I spent a few hours cleaning up the ignition parts. I took some real fine sand paper and cleaned off the magnets real good and decided to you may have guessed..........try the soda blaster on the flywheel. It worked real well. I then took it too my wire wheel to clean up what wouldn't come off. It looks pretty good.

I figured I might as well try the soda on the stator itself as what the hell, it ran before, so what can I really mess up. It took off alot of it and I ended up taking all of the old silicone off and replaceing it with new and had to repair the wiring in a couple of places. For some reason the pictures make it still look tarnished but it must be shadows as it is real clean.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #36
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pulled of the head and it looks pretty good down the bore.

Taking off the cylinder.

May need a new piston or just clean up and new rings. We shall see.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #37
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So now I'm at this point and ready to start taking the low end apart. This should be fun as I haven't done one in quite awhile.

Got it to this stage pretty quickly.

I didn't have a case splitter so I had to make one. I didn't get any pics of it during the process. It was a chore to get the cases apart. Once I got them apart the crank came out pretty easy. A little heat from a heat gun and a rubber mallet did the trick.

The crank is in exceptional condition. The bike I don't think was really rode that much. Everything is tight. I will clean up the stator side of the crank before re-installation.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #38
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I procrastinated a couple of weeks and finally ordered up seals and bearings and they arrived.

I contemplated using the old bearings but I am this far and ordered them up to. In the meantime here's the cases I am going to use.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #39
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got a little side tracked and had to rebuild about 8 sets of Curnutts for customers so I didn't get much done for a week or so.

A couple of the guys in my club the Hilltoppers needed some work done on their suspensions. I did a set of forks and built some shocks for this guy, Rich. 70 years old and just did his first race in 40 years and finished. His son is an inmate on here. Drunclewill.

Rich then at Deadman's Point here is socal.

Rich now a month ago.

Set up a pair for Ronnie, he is going for the #1 plate in D37 Classic division. He is going almost as fast as his modern bike on this thing. He is the taller one.

Scootern29 screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 12:28 PM Reason: wrong pic
Old 03-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #40
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The week before last I soda blasted the cases and started to install the bearings.

After putting the main bearings into my deep freezer I used this old dental press that I acquired to install them. I use this press for putting in shock seals. This thing I think is from the late 50's early 60's. If anyone knows, let me know. It does a sweet job.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #41
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Last Friday I put the trans back in the case to get ready to assemble them.

I ended up making a crank installation tool out of some steel pipe to pull the crank through the bearing instead of pounding on it.

After 45 minutes of assembling the cases, it took longer than I thought. Lining up the trans parts I thought would be the tough part. It wasn't. Pulling the crank through was a major PITA. All together.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #42
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I worked most of the day Saturday putting the motor together. Got this done before noon.

Used the old penny in the gear trick.

Cleaned up the side cases. I took them all down to the condition of the chain guard in this pic and sprayed them. I then put them under a heat lamp to cure the paint.

While I was waiting for stuff to dry I sprayed the manifold with Plasti-Dip. I had very minor surface cracks and this stuff fills them up and creates a nice smooth finish. I have used this on a few manifolds and it works great. 3 or 4 coats and you are done.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #43
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I did a bit more painting of the center cases. I masked everything off and sprayed it. I had painted the cylinder and head previously. I had been looking all week at bolt kits from Stainless Cycle and Spec bolt, I wanted to get this thing assembled and I was contemplating just taking the wire wheel to the bolts after I sprayed it.

I ran down to the bike shop and picked up most of the bolts I needed. The rest I will have to order. The motor with some more bits installed on the drive side.

I went ahead and wire brushed the clutch side cover bolts and mounted the cover. I will have to order up these bolts also.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #44
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Me and the dog decided it was time for a break.

Pop a frosty one and watch some Daytona short track.

While working on the reed cage.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #45
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got the reed cage all put back together and decided I can do a little more this afternoon. I really like the black cylinders on the Yamaha's. I also like shiny looking fins on the edges. Out comes the dremel with a drum sand paper attachment. I had bought some cheapo sanding tubes from Vatozone and they are cheap. I went through about 5 of these things to do the fins. They kept exploding on me. Do not buy these things, period.

It came out pretty cool.

I set the barrel on the motor to see how it looks. Mighty handsome I might add.

While I had the dremel out I took the paint off the engine mounting points so it will ground later.

I still had some dayllight and pulled the chassis out of the garage and washed it. The bike has not been outside for a couple of months and it has dust, and soda dust all over it.

Now I am caught up on the build. There will be more to come soon.