Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #91
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by joon1911 View Post
Rob or Hikertrash:

Do you know what the overall width of the GSA cutout pannier kit mounted on the GSA mount is?
Joon,

39" across
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #92
F800 Rob OP
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,051
Just wanted to share a picture of the actual panniers in production. Coming Soon:

Old 03-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #93
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,997
Subscribed to the newsletter.

Just picked up a brand new Tenere and I need panniers! How else am I suppose to get groceries home?!
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #94
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by F800 Rob View Post
Just wanted to share a picture of the actual panniers in production.
Rob, seeing how you are very familiar with Holan's panniers, how do the Globescouts compare to the Nomada Pros in terms of construction quality, strength and finish?
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #95
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Rob, seeing how you are very familiar with Holan's panniers, how do the Globescouts compare to the Nomada Pros in terms of construction quality, strength and finish?
Didn't he sell Holan before? Not sure what answer you're expecting?
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #96
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Didn't he sell Holan before? Not sure what answer you're expecting?
He did, which is why he's very familiar with them. It's not a trick question, I'd like a frank comparison since I am in the market and both panniers look very good.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #97
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
He did, which is why he's very familiar with them. It's not a trick question, I'd like a frank comparison since I am in the market and both panniers look very good.
Yes yes, I just think its not easy for him to be really objective if you know what I mean, let's see the answer. Sure there are positives and negatives, lets hear both.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #98
F800 Rob OP
MotoInsight

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Yes yes, I just think its not easy for him to be really objective if you know what I mean, let's see the answer. Sure there are positives and negatives, lets hear both.
Great question.

I imported Holan into North America between 2008 and May 2012. To this day I still run a set of Holan crashbar pros and Nomada Pros on my F800GS. When done right, they are a good product. The problem is, it wasn't done right.

I ceased importing them in May of 2012 due to quality and supply issues. It was always a struggle to get product. Frequently their stuff also came in wrong, incomplete, or damaged. At the end, 4 out of every 10 calls where about a Holan issue or asking when a Holan order would ship. It was just unsustainable.

I post this not to bash Holan, but to give you a complete, honest comparison. With everything above - assuming you can get a set, and it comes in 100% correct, here is how they compare on the points that you identified:

Construction - Overall, Holans have a much more 'homemade' feel to them than the Globescouts do. The Globescouts are much more professional with things like the sharp stuff being addressed, bolts having plastic caps, mounting kit having O rings. (picture 1)

For example, let's look at the gap between lids and pannier bottom. A bigger gap is more likely to let in water and dust. I've attached pictures of how Holan and Globescout compare. (picture 2 & 3)

Strength - I'd say this a pretty dead heat. Philosophies from both companies on how to construct a pannier are very similar. Globescout has the edge on an all-metal mounting puck system. Holan has the edge on a rigidly mounted pannier rack. You should be able to stand on either box. I've attached a picture of someone doing just that with a Globescout. (picture 4)

Finish - I covered the natural one a bit earlier in the thread. In regard to the black - there is no comparison. The anodized Globescout pannier is fantastic. When I had Holan, I ordered in a few sets of the powder-coated panniers and I wasn't impressed. I choose to never sell them.

One thing I will give Holan credit for is their Special systems and pannier racks. They product them all in house, and offer a pannier notched to fit in closer. When you can get it, if it comes in right, it's a pretty nice setup. With the exception of the R1200GS 05-12, Globescout doesn't do this... yet.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #99
twinrider
pass the catnip

Thanks for the explanation and photos, Rob. Would be nice if they did a notched set for the S10 sooner rather than later.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #100
jumpman
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Great work... Yesterday i bought the case, just want to share a pic. 90. years adv with black topcase...

delicious... :)

jumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #101
joon1911
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Globescout Mount for Top Box

Question for you Rob,

I saw this photo in the original Globescout thread:

Is this the current mount for the R1200GS? I looked on the Globescout.de website and the plate looks the same, but I was wondering if those support struts are included that support the back end of the plate?. If so, can you please PM me pricing on the larger top box (in black anodized finish) and mounting kit for a '12 R1200GS? Thanks.
joon1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #102
F800 Rob OP
MotoInsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by joon1911 View Post
Question for you Rob,

I saw this photo in the original Globescout thread:

Is this the current mount for the R1200GS? I looked on the Globescout.de website and the plate looks the same, but I was wondering if those support struts are included that support the back end of the plate?. If so, can you please PM me pricing on the larger top box (in black anodized finish) and mounting kit for a '12 R1200GS? Thanks.
The 40L topcase in black for the R1200GS is $489.99, all in: http://advdepot.com/globescout-xtop-topcase-kit.html

Globescout saw your post and sent over the following diagram. That is not the latest version - it's this over-engineered beauty:

Old 03-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #103
F800 Rob OP
MotoInsight

Ordering has opened! Ordering has opened! Ordering has opened!

We're projecting a arrival date to our warehouse on April 18th. Use the coupon code GSPreOrder when ordering for $100 off a Globescout kit for your bike.

I would strongly suggest that you order soon - volume has exceeded our expectations to the point where we expect to sell through nearly everything in the shipment before it arrives! Also, earlier orders will be first in line for pre-drilling.

http://ADVDepot.com/globescout.html

Old 03-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #104
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,785
What does it mean for the black 40L top cases - "More coming soon" (all the others say "Pre-Order")? Are they all gone for the pre-Order already?
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #105
ducatirdr
Re-entry Noob

Oddometer: 126
Ordered mine today for my 800XC

These panniers look great and the video on the site won me over. I had purchased my Triumph Tiger 800XC over the winter and was looking around at panniers for a while. This system has all the features I'm looking for. I went with silver anodized look as I plan on doing some adventure rides that may have me on the side. I expect the minor scratches won't show up as much on it. Plus I figure it will keep the beer cold longer

Tom
2000 Ducati 996S - Madness
2014 H-D Breakout - Nothing like a big scooter to relax a bit

ducatirdr screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 02:03 PM
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote