Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
indr OP

Oddometer: 1,197
Alberta Out of Province Inspection

I'm currently in BC with an Ontario registered and plated bike. My license is also of Ontario. I might be moving to Grande Prairie and will need to convert my license to Alberta license for work reasons.

To those that have moved to AB from other provinces, do I have to surrended my Ont license when applying for a AB one?

Can I ride my Ontario registered, plated, and insured motorcycle with an AB license?

How stringent are the out province vehicle inspections? Reading discussions about this online, there are a lot of chances of getting scammed?

Can a shop not allow me to ride away on my bike if they somehow deem it unsafe? I.e. Refuse to hand the key over and deny access to the bike? This providing the bike is already insured and registered; just in another province.

Anyone know of any shops that won't be all anal about stupid shit like rotor thickness or missing reflectors just to make a quick buck?

My bike looks pretty ratty. Dented tank, no fairings, slightly bent clutch lever. Things that don't affect safety or performance, and things I couldn't afford to replace. It's the same condition it carried me to Vancouver from Toronto in. But I can see some inspector being an ass.

The bike as also been in unreported "incidents". See "dented tank" above. Is there a remark made on the inspection sheet about this? Can this negatively affect me?

Before taking it in for inspection, I plan on doing a thorough check and required replacements myself. Things like new brake pads, tires etc.

Do they remove the tires to check the wheel bearings?
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
I don't know if you would want to do this but lots of guys I worked with and myself included just kept our old licenses and vehicle insurance. However we weren't 'permanent' residents of Alberta and I maintained my permanent residence in BC for 3 years while I worked out of Grande Prairie. I also kept my truck plated with BC plates for 3 years too.

I am also not 100 percent sure that bikes going into AB need to be inspected. I was told that bikes coming into BC from Alberta don't need to be inspected so that might be the case for you as well.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,186
If you want to register the bike here in Alberta, then you will certainly have to have the OoP inspection done on it. I bought an 08 BMW K1200GT with almost no miles on it from BC and had to get the inspection done on it even though it had had a full workup at the Victoria Dealership prior to my bringing it home. There is no leeway on the inspection for registering any vehicle that has not previously been registered in Alberta. Its a bit stupid since I walked past half a dozen junkers in the lot outside the registration office that should have been pulled off the road, yet they were free to keep re-registering every year while I was forced to cough up $15 for the inspection request and another $200 for the actual inspection of a virtually brand new bike.

The qualified shops are licensed by the province to do the inspection and have a strict list of items to check. I'm pretty sure they won't actually pull the wheels to look at the bearings, but they will look at the lights, reflectors, brakes, tires, suspension, steering , fuel system (for leaks), exhaust and more. They will likely disassemble only what they need to to for inspecting the listed components. Yes, lots of people do keep an adress in their home province to avoid the re-registration here, There are as many BC, Saskatchewan and Ontario plates on the roads here as Albertans. If you are actually moving here permanantly, it is illeagal to not get Alberta license, registration and insurance; not that it's likely to be enforced unless you do something stupid to draw attention to yourself.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,274
A word of warning, if you opt to go over the 30 or 90 days you are allowed after you get here (check with your insurance company, they decide) and have an incident you will likely find yourself on the wrong end of a nasty lawsuit. Your insurance company can just outright say you didn't have insurance for breach of conditons or they can pay out the claim and then sue you to recover your costs.

Reflectors; I've seen guys use decals on the swing arm and lower fork tube to have the requirement for the law and then tear em off after the inspection. The rest of it is all a matter of what you need to do to pass. Brakes and tires are a no brainer. Cosmetics shouldn't matter. I'd say you are far better off to find a smaller shop in a small center than to deal with a box store shop.

Good luck and welcome to Alberta
Old 08-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
As I mentioned before I carried aout of province insurance for 3 years while I worked in Alberta. What I did was go into ICBC here in BC and changed my location territory. It damn near doubled the insurance premium from 50 to 100 bucks a month but it made everything legal and I had full coverage in the event of an incident.

As always though....your mileage may vary....
Old 08-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
One advantage of having the out of province inspection is the much cheaper insurance rates once you switch to a local insurance provider. If you are with Primmum in Ont don't expect to pay the same as you will with Primmun in Alberta. Alberta has significantly cheaper costs to insure your bike and your cage

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
sunkist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
BC registered and insured xr650r being brought into Alberta

I did post this somewhere else on here but then found this thread.
Bringing this bike to Alberta but the Gov. website says any vehicle manufactured as an "off-road vehicle" cannot be registered for street use. It's not a new conversion as it's already on the road in BC. Anyone know if they'll pass it? Everything works properly. It's Sunday or I would ask them...
Old 02-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,354
This has been discussed endlessly on here and on the AB Adv site. Here is the readers digest version:

• The AB government won't knowingly allow an off-highway vehicle to be registered for street use in AB
  • You might find a OHV friendly (or just clueless) Registry office who will do it anyway, lots of people have done so.
  • Because you have to get an inspection of an out of province vehicle at an approved inspection station, it is highly unlikely that they will pass you because they are not clueless. The inspection form specifically asks whether the vehicle is an OHV and it's an automatic fail.
The ethics/legality/risks of doing item 2 have been debated endlessly. Ultimately, it's your decision.

If you really want to get an OHV plated in AB, you are better starting with a bike that is already registered in AB to avoid item 3.

Good luck.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
eviee1973
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
After getting my Civic through an out of province inspection, and the outright fraud that goes with that, I read that if I had of got a provincial inspection in my home province in the thirty days prior to registering in Alberta, I would not have had to got through the out of province inspection in Alberta.
eviee1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 7,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviee1973 View Post
After getting my Civic through an out of province inspection, and the outright fraud that goes with that, I read that if I had of got a provincial inspection in my home province in the thirty days prior to registering in Alberta, I would not have had to got through the out of province inspection in Alberta.
That is sometimes true. You have to check which provinces have reciprocol agreements. My 36 day Ontario inspection is actually good for
a year in Manitoba, for instance, but the Manitoba inspection is worthless in Ontario.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 172
riding course

I know that in Alberta that MC rider's course can get you serious insurance $ discounts.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
theshaneler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I'm moving to Alberta in about two months, and need to find a place in Edmonton to do an OPI on my bike. I was going to phone a Kawi dealership to see if they do OPIs. I have a 2011 Ninja 400r that is still under warranty so there should be nothing wrong with it. Any suggestions on places to get OPIs? i hear there are a lot of shady places that try and take you for a ride.
theshaneler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
bwallca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshaneler View Post
I'm moving to Alberta in about two months, and need to find a place in Edmonton to do an OPI on my bike. I was going to phone a Kawi dealership to see if they do OPIs. I have a 2011 Ninja 400r that is still under warranty so there should be nothing wrong with it. Any suggestions on places to get OPIs? i hear there are a lot of shady places that try and take you for a ride.
Sherwood Motorcycles in Sherwood Park does them, about $125 if I remember right.
Ben
bwallca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #14
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwallca View Post
Sherwood Motorcycles in Sherwood Park does them, about $125 if I remember right.
Ben
Sherwood Motorcyles / Zoli is at ~$185 now for a OOP / Salvage Inspection. My Kawasaki goes to E&S in Fort Sask and everything else goes to Zoli when it comes time to pay someone to work on them.
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
bmwnewbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Floorboards on BMW K 1200 LT Series

I know these are old postes, however hopefully someone still may reply. I have my 2009 BMW K1200 LT being inspected right now. They called me back as I have floorboards installed driver and passengers. They are claimin since the fllor boards are nto hinged the bike can not pass inspection, I have a June 2011 copy of the Alberta Motorcycle Insoection Manul and in section 9.7 it mention Footpegs must bot be bent etc, no mention of hinged floorboards ar footrest. They are adamnt about this and I have asked to quote me this ruling, still waiting. Has on one run into this situation before. I do not want to but a set of driver and passenger footpegs. Beemer Boneyard is out of them.

Thanks,

bmwnewbie

bmwnewbie screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 12:04 PM Reason: Spelling and grammar
bmwnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote