Old 03-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #16
ParrotheadJeff OP
Cultural Infidel

Oddometer: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
gald it runs so far.
Thanks

OK, time for another minor update. Remember how that battery was dead? I tried adding distilled water and setting it on charge, but that didn't get too much of a charge. I went ahead and drained out the water and replaced it with fresh battery acid before leaving it on the charger overnight. I took it off charge this morning, rinsed the outside off (there was still a little bit of acid on it in places), and left it until this evening. I hooked the battery up to the leads on the scooter and something awesome happened...

IT WORKED

New battery acid was only $5 or so where a new battery would've been $60

My next order of business will be getting another key cut, getting the vacuum & fuel lines, and getting the oil changed. I'll also have to order up the new valve stems and petcock. It won't be too long at all until it's on the road
Old 03-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Can't tell much about the thing in the second green circle from the pic, see the valve cover and vac line. Is the other cracked line to the fuel tank? Does this bike have remote start?

Either way, I sold my roketa with 2500 miles for $1000. You did good.
creighta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
ParrotheadJeff OP
Cultural Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by creighta View Post
Can't tell much about the thing in the second green circle from the pic, see the valve cover and vac line. Is the other cracked line to the fuel tank? Does this bike have remote start?

Either way, I sold my roketa with 2500 miles for $1000. You did good.
Thanks I think I found out that the thing I was looking at is the PAIR system which is emissions related. Chinesescooterreference.com has a great write up on it here. They say:

Quote:
Next is a diagram of the PAIR emissions system. It stands for Pulsed Air Injection Reburn. It sends pulses of fresh air into the exhaust during low pressure pulses in the exhaust side. This is a canister that has a vacuum line and a hose to the valve cover area. It is usually only on newer scooters. This helps burn uncombusted gases that make it through the engine. Earlwb, a font of knowledge, sent this to me. Thanks again Earl:
I went and got quite a bit in the way of supplies at the auto parts store today including a new hose for this system. I'd just rather replace the hose than try to yank the system right now

I'll try to get another update posted tonight - there's more good news
Old 03-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #19
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,971
That's high mileage for one of the things. I was on my 3rd motor at 6000mi. I loved the damn thing but it didn't reciprocate . Belts every 1200 or so miles. Good for around town stayin in the 30-40 mph range but any extended riding beyond that had bad consequences.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:20 AM   #20
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,704
The thing with the red and green wires looks like a relay of some kind. The red wire is definitely a ground, it goes to the frame. Red is not normally a ground color, they are usually green or brown. Red should be hot. But you can tell from the crimp on connector on that red wire that it is a home spun job.

The part with the rotted hoses appears to be the vacuum fuel shut off valve, but I can't tell for sure. If it is, it will have a hose from the fuel tank, one to the carb, and one to a vacuum source somewhere near the carb.

Adding new acid can rejuvenate an old battery, but I have never seen it last more than a few weeks. Chances are you will still need a new battery soon. But $60 seems like about twice what it should cost. I got a new sealed battery for my XT225 for $50 that is still good after almost 3 years, from Batteries Plus.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #21
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,501
Often some of the battery dealers have seconds in batteries they ll sell you. Just means that it's doesn't look perfect or the post might have a nick in it. I know where I live I can go to all state batteries and buy one for 20 bucks. Doesn't mean that it's not going to last for along while. Once you re scooter going stop by a battery place and ask them to do a test on it. it's free and can tell you how good it is . Load test is what it's called.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #22
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,971
It will kick start and run fine with a dead battery,the brake and signal lights won't work properly though.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #23
fullmetalscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
It will kick start and run fine with a dead battery,the brake and signal lights won't work properly though.
I wonder about inline fuses hidden somewhere? Then again china scooter more likely the wiriing contectors are just crap and need to be gone over one by one . Worth doing just to be safe now then have problems at the side of the road.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #24
ParrotheadJeff OP
Cultural Infidel

I'm going to post up an update in just a bit, but I wanted to respond to everyone else's posts first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The thing with the red and green wires looks like a relay of some kind. The red wire is definitely a ground, it goes to the frame. Red is not normally a ground color, they are usually green or brown. Red should be hot. But you can tell from the crimp on connector on that red wire that it is a home spun job.

The part with the rotted hoses appears to be the vacuum fuel shut off valve, but I can't tell for sure. If it is, it will have a hose from the fuel tank, one to the carb, and one to a vacuum source somewhere near the carb.

Adding new acid can rejuvenate an old battery, but I have never seen it last more than a few weeks. Chances are you will still need a new battery soon. But $60 seems like about twice what it should cost. I got a new sealed battery for my XT225 for $50 that is still good after almost 3 years, from Batteries Plus.
Jerry - I figured out that the thing in the green circle with the red and green wires is the ignition coil and that red wire is the ground. The other thing with the rotted hose is the PAIR system for emissions. I just replaced the rotted hose and we're pretty much good to go. The battery seems to be doing great, but I'll keep your suggestions in mind

Quote:
Often some of the battery dealers have seconds in batteries they ll sell you. Just means that it's doesn't look perfect or the post might have a nick in it. I know where I live I can go to all state batteries and buy one for 20 bucks. Doesn't mean that it's not going to last for along while. Once you re scooter going stop by a battery place and ask them to do a test on it. it's free and can tell you how good it is . Load test is what it's called.
Good idea about a "second" blemished battery! I'll see what I can find around here. It would probably be a piece of cake in Vegas or San Diego, but I'm kinda in the sticks in central Utah. I'll definitely have a shop do a load test on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
I've managed to get the thing kick started a couple times, but it's not easy. I hope I don't have to rely on it anytime soon

Quote:
I wonder about inline fuses hidden somewhere? Then again china scooter more likely the wiriing contectors are just crap and need to be gone over one by one . Worth doing just to be safe now then have problems at the side of the road.
I've looked all through the bike and there are only two fuses - the ones on the battery leads. They're glass and they're going to be replaced by blade type fuses before too long The rest of it may or may not get replaced before it fails - we'll just have to see how it goes from here
Old 03-24-2013, 02:06 AM   #25
ParrotheadJeff OP
Cultural Infidel

Talking New update

OK, time for an update and I've got quite a bit of good news Sorry for the delay - I came down with food poisoning a couple of nights ago and I have not had the time or energy to post anything I'm doing quite a bit better now, so I'll get on with the show

I had the plastics off the handlebars for a couple of reasons. The first was that the brake light was staying on all the time when the key was on and the second reason was that I figured it would be a good idea to flush the brake fluid on the front brake.

It turned out that the brake light situation was caused by a minor issue with the electrical switch on the left (rear) brake handle that activates the brake light. The switch looks like this and it's press fit into the lever perch. The brake light is turned on when the plunger is allowed to extend from the end. The problem was that there was not enough friction holding the switch in place and it was allowing that plunger to be out all the time. I wrapped the switch in a bit of masking tape and it's staying put and working correctly now. The Last thing in the front end that needed to be addressed was a marker light on the front above the right headlight that had fallen back. I got that reinstalled with no problem

Flushing the brake fluid went about the way it always has for me in the past - I ended up spilling a bunch all over the ground, but I got the job done! The old stuff came out rather cloudy so I'm glad I took the time to do this and get some piece of mind.

Once I got all that done, I fired up the engine and confirmed that all the lights on the bike work correctly. So far, so good!

Until the next day...

The next day, I decided to check a few things on my scooter and found that I had no power at all. I could turn the key and there wasn't even enough juice to turn on a turn signal. And this was with everything working the night before. I tried connecting jumper cables from my car to the bike, but still nothing. I had to head back to work wondering what had gone wrong. I came home and checked the fuses on the battery leads and found that even though the clips had been correctly attached and the plastic cases clipped over the fuse assembly, somehow something had tugged on one of the leads and pulled it off one of the glass fuses. I've decided to wait until everything else is done, but I will change those fuses out for blade type holders and fuses before too long.

I'd been feeling a bit ill after lunch that day and it took quite a bit of willpower to actually check on the scooter to see why it hadn't had any electric power. Once I'd done that it was pretty much for the rest of the night. The next day was pretty much nothing but recovery from the night before with no progress made.

That brings us to Saturday which was technically yesterday. I was going to swap out the vacuum lines, but then I looked at them closely and found that they're pretty new and U.S. made. Then I was going to replace the fuel lines, but I found pretty much the same thing. They were all really decent. Now, the fuel filter was a different matter (it was disgusting), so it got swapped out. I also filled the tank up to the top and was happy to see that the fuel gauge actually works!

It was getting late by now as I'd taken my daughter and girlfriend out to lunch, but there was one last thing I wanted to get done sooner rather than later. I wanted to get those valve stems replaced. I went out and got a couple of valve stems and a C clamp after watching this video (thanks again, tortoise2) and got to work. The guy on YouTube video made it look much easier than I thought it was, but that's just my take on it. Anywho, the tire was off the bead so I rolled the scooter around a bit to get it seated and that worked. I was able to air the tires up again with a $10 12 volt compressor from Walmart. Having set the tires to 29 PSI front and 32 PSI rear, there was only one thing I could think of to do...

Yep, I took my scooter for its first test ride

No, I didn't try for top speed, steepest lean angle, or anything else like that. I just had to take it out and make sure it works at a basic level and I'm glad to say that it does - All the lights work, the front and rear brakes work, and the whole drive system works

All that's left now is to change the engine and final drive oil, check and adjust the valves, add the replacement mirrors, re-install some body work, and possibly tweak the carburetor a bit. Then it's just a simple matter of an inspection and registration before I get to take this scooter all over the place

Thanks go out again to everyone who's followed along and given advice and insight! I'll be sure to keep posting as more progress is made
Old 03-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #26
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Congratulations and condolences. Congrats on the satisfaction of figuring it out.
Condolences on the fact that you now have a scooter. They are addictive, especially the 150s. Fwiw don't let the Chinese scoot turn you off to all scooters in a year or two, they are high maintenance, but great beginner bikes before dropping $4k+ on a big name.
creighta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #27
fullmetalscooter

cool glad it works and hope you feel better soon. Are you certain it was food poisoning and not one to many bears ? LOL Sorry I mean beers. . Once you ve got the paper work this is going to be the best 35 bucks you ve even spend.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #28
ParrotheadJeff OP
Cultural Infidel

OK, it's way too late to write up the whole post like I was going to, so I'll have to come back and write that tomorrow/later today/ASAP That said, I still wanted to answer the people who answered me

Quote:
Originally Posted by creighta View Post
Congratulations and condolences. Congrats on the satisfaction of figuring it out.
Condolences on the fact that you now have a scooter. They are addictive, especially the 150s. Fwiw don't let the Chinese scoot turn you off to all scooters in a year or two, they are high maintenance, but great beginner bikes before dropping $4k+ on a big name.
Thanks! I hope I like this machine - it's fun to work on, should be fun to ride, and it gets great mileage. We'll have to see what happens as time goes by.

Quote:
cool glad it works and hope you feel better soon. Are you certain it was food poisoning and not one to many bears ? LOL Sorry I mean beers. . Once you ve got the paper work this is going to be the best 35 bucks you ve even spend.
Thank you as well No, I hadn't been drinking at all - I never drink during the work week I just really can't wait until I've got this thing legally on the road
Old 03-25-2013, 12:38 AM   #29
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,704
Glad you're getting it going. I'm assuming the coil has a spark plug wire attached to it, probably behind that air duct where I couldn't see it.

The PAIR system serves no purpose, other than to satisfy the EPA, and can cause some running and starting issues. It is called the Pulsed Air Injection System, and injects air from the intake system into the exhaust, leaning out the mixture in the exhaust causing it to run hot, and usually backfiring. It is controlled by engine vacuum, and there are several places where a vacuum leak can occur. I have always removed them and plugged everything on every bike I ever had that had one, and they always ran better.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #30
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,616
I'm glad to see that everything is working out. I'm sure you will upgrade some time in the future but starting out with a cheap Chinese scooter is a great way to start and learn something about scooters and scooter maintenance. Thanks for documenting it all, it's been very interesting. I hope you enjoy the scooter and have some fun rides on it.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote