ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #16651
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,470
Anyone using these MotorAnchor 82° valve stems in their Tenere? Changing tires today, have a spare set and am wondering if they will work.

twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #16652
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Do you think Yamaha would have to bump the compression up to get more power? The Tenere's 11.0:1 is quite a bit higher than the compression on the 145hp FJR and unlike the FJR requires premium gas.
The S10's modest power output mostly has to do with its peak torque being reached at fairly low RPM. If they wanted to bump the output, they'd probably do it mostly by raising revs, not compression. They may be somewhat restricted by the crossplane crank which puts additional bottom end stresses on the engine which would be aggravated with a higher RPM ceiling.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #16653
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 596
I dont really feel like going back and reading through a 1000 + page thread so Ill just ask . How are yall doing with 2 up on yalls S10s , rider/passenger comfort and handling? My wife and son both had asked about riding with me on a bike , the problem is my bike is a super sherpa 250 so no 2 up on that out of the yard . I was thinking about a DL650 /1000 or a tiger but the tenere would have a bit more grunt and it seems like a hell of a bike .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #16654
twinrider
pass the catnip

I've ridden 2-up with my wife, 5'6"/135 lbs, with no problems. I do have a Givi top box that provides back support for her.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #16655
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
I was thinking about a DL650 /1000 or a tiger but the tenere would have a bit more grunt and it seems like a hell of a bike .
Any of the above bikes will carry two people.

The S10 has the space and the motor for you not to notice as much that's all. It is probably the easiest of the lot to use on rough terrain with a load as it has a slower more predictable steering response. HOWEVER mud and sand will probably be harder.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #16656
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
The S10's modest power output mostly has to do with its peak torque being reached at fairly low RPM. If they wanted to bump the output, they'd probably do it mostly by raising revs, not compression. They may be somewhat restricted by the crossplane crank which puts additional bottom end stresses on the engine which would be aggravated with a higher RPM ceiling.

- Mark
+1. It's not the compression so much, you can just get more power at low revs with more compression, however the fuel must be better to use it, which again is fine for most of the "ADV Tourer" market just not where I live if you want to actually do some country touring.

Since power is RPM X torque a S10 spinning at 12000RPM will theoretically make about 200HP but in reality about 0 HP because the pistons would have departed the engine by then. You could do it but I would assume the bike would be heavier because the crank and rods would be thicker and YAMAHA would be talking to Wärtsilä to source their cranks at that speed.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 03-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #16657
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
+1. It's not the compression so much, you can just get more power at low revs with more compression, however the fuel must be better to use it, which again is fine for most of the "ADV Tourer" market just not where I live if you want to actually do some country touring.
I understand the logic, but Yamaha recommends premium for the S10, same as the gs.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 03-24-2013, 01:07 AM   #16658
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,470
Quote:
I understand the logic, but Yamaha recommends premium for the S10, same as the gs.
Find the first S10 to burn up a cylinder head and you get a cookie. I'm sure Yami has an appropriate timing curve. I'm also sure the premium fuel recommendation is for posterity purposes. I burn mid-grade fuel regularly and can induce a ping only by whacking the throttle wide open at super- low RPM. I'm sure the recommendation was made with that in mind. OTOH, BMW would rather ride the ragged edge so they can wow you enough to make you sign the dotted line.

Now the new GS being water-cooled might make CR and related heat issues less of a concern, but that doesn't change the overall mentality of a company run by accountants that would rather do test runs on an unsuspecting public. Loved reading about the tank slappers on the water boxer. I'd lay money that's the REAL reason Kevin Ash went down.

Sent from my SC-03E using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #16659
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Premium fuels generally have more cleaning agents in them than regular "made to a price" fuel so long term it's a better choice. It doesn't need the extra octane in general riding situations. It's a simple insurance policy for both YAMAHA and the user.
YAMAHA just recommends using the best fuel available. I don't use it. My local station has the second best available and I use that. Many country stations have the least best available and I use that.

Myself and many people including Davide Biga and Nick sanders and DCStrom use whatever they can get at the side of the road in any country they visit. No issues to date.

If you can get the good stuff use it but don't sweat it. The compression ratio is pretty safe across the range.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #16660
dickensheets
smprparatus

Oddometer: 294
What are most of you using for a rim sealant. Gotta do tires soon and not familiar with tubeless.

Thanks, Ryan
dickensheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #16661
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Premium fuels generally have more cleaning agents in them than regular "made to a price" fuel so long term it's a better choice. It doesn't need the extra octane in general riding situations. It's a simple insurance policy for both YAMAHA and the user.
YAMAHA just recommends using the best fuel available. I don't use it. My local station has the second best available and I use that. Many country stations have the least best available and I use that.

Myself and many people including Davide Biga and Nick sanders and DCStrom use whatever they can get at the side of the road in any country they visit. No issues to date.

If you can get the good stuff use it but don't sweat it. The compression ratio is pretty safe across the range.
Yamaha recommended regular for my TDM900, which was nice as it's 10 cents a liter cheaper. Ditto for the FJR. Haven't tried it in the S10 yet, maybe I should.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #16662
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
I'd lay money that's the REAL reason Kevin Ash went down.

have to say that the same thought has passed through my mind...
Old 03-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #16663
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickensheets View Post
What are most of you using for a rim sealant. Gotta do tires soon and not familiar with tubeless.

Thanks, Ryan
Nothing.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #16664
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Anyone using these MotorAnchor 82° valve stems in their Tenere? Changing tires today, have a spare set and am wondering if they will work.

Confirmed that these do not work on the S10 wheels.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #16665
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,483
Quote:
Premium fuels generally have more cleaning agents in them than regular "made to a price" fuel so long term it's a better choice.
I have no hard info, but many folks would dispute this. They say the additive package is basically the same for any given fuel supplier, regardless of grade.

And regardless of whether it is or isn't different, I doubt Yamaha specs premium because of the additive package. It's a big 600cc/piston, low-revving, high-compression motor without knock sensors. While many think you can get by on regular, Yamaha thinks you need to run premium for adequate knock margins. Other similar bikes typically spec premium as well.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote