User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
hammerhoot OP
dual season rider

Oddometer: 98
Tires on the Lab, I'm gonna ask again!

Ok, round trip will be approximately 5500 to 6500 miles. gonna do the trans-lab. Starting in Pennsylvania so the majority of the ride will be on pavement until we get to Manic 5 in Quebec. I'm sure I'm going to go with the Heidenau K-60 Scout rear. I'm still twisting between the Heidenau Scout up front and a Conti TKC. Will be on a BMW GS Adventure. I know the Heidi will be just fine if it stays dry.......... but I'm sure the Conti will do better if wet in the dirt. My main concern is not having to change a tire during the trip and I'm not sure if the Continental will do 6000+ miles. What do you guys think?

Faster Horses

Younger Women

Older Whiskey

And More Money!
hammerhoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
I know you said not wanting to have to change a tire, but, what about just runnning up on older street tires and carrying the best dual sport tires and swap them in Baycomeau....? You will want good tires for the Trans-Lab. We did it two summers ago and went from Toronto clockwise just to make sure we had the most tread for the rough stuff if needed. One guy needed a rear in Goose Bay, his fault for not getting better tires to start with and then another before getting back as the only tire he could find was a completely off road MX tire. You could see that one wearing as he rode down the road!
You know your bike better than me, pick the best tire you can or carry a fresh set and change it as close to the gravel as you feel comforable with.

Sorry, but it is the best way...imho.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
I have run Tourances on the Trans Lab but would not recommend it. Best kind for the dry but toss in anything past occasional showers the road turns to shit. I have Heidenaus on now and except for the noisey front at 90 to110Kmh they are ok.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,221
I ran TKC on my GSA and was very happy to have them. I don't think you need a knobby but it is nice piece of mind on the gravel. That said I'm not sure you'll get 5-6000 miles out of them... I ran about 6000km and the rear was worn out. Heidenaus were run on many other bikes on the trail and they didn't wear as fast. One variable was that I was riding two up with about 100lbs of gear on the bike.

Have a great trip!
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Mr. C
I need more bike time!!

Oddometer: 524
I went from North Bay Ontario to Baie-Comeau on a half worn pair of Kenda 270's on my KLR with a brand new set of Kenda 270's strapped to the back. The plan was to change them in Baie-Comeau.

Unfortunately, the tires were stolen from my bike the night before I was going to change them!

Anyway, I did the rest of the trip across the TLH on those old Kendas. They made it all the way home. I was very happy with their longevity and their road manners.
2009 DRZ400S (sold)
2002 KLR650 (sold)
Mr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:01 AM   #6
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
One option is to get new tires in Moncton, New Brunswick. We have some of the cheapest tires in Canada. Basically two dealers fighting with each other to sell cheap tires, like 50% off list. I did the trip on TKC80s from here and the rear was still on the bike which is a Honda XL1000cc Varadero. Similar bike size wise to a BMW. I ran the TKC 80 rear for most of the rest of the season. Moncton is a days trip to Bay Comeau, the start of the Trans Lab. You will pass through Moncton on the way home.

The TKC80 can get cut on the TLH from the rocks. Mine had at least 4 cuts, not deep but cut inbetween the knobs. I did not air down the tires for the gravel, that may help.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #7
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhoot View Post
Ok, round trip will be approximately 5500 to 6500 miles. gonna do the trans-lab. Starting in Pennsylvania so the majority of the ride will be on pavement until we get to Manic 5 in Quebec. I'm sure I'm going to go with the Heidenau K-60 Scout rear. I'm still twisting between the Heidenau Scout up front and a Conti TKC. Will be on a BMW GS Adventure. I know the Heidi will be just fine if it stays dry.......... but I'm sure the Conti will do better if wet in the dirt. My main concern is not having to change a tire during the trip and I'm not sure if the Continental will do 6000+ miles. What do you guys think?
A tkc on the front "should" last. A good choice for the Trans Lab IMHO. If you encounter miles and miles of freshly graded road or it rains....you'll be happy to have the knobby tread

Have a great ride

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
tat2
where's ya too?

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
A tkc on the front "should" last. A good choice for the Trans Lab IMHO. If you encounter miles and miles of freshly graded road or it rains....you'll be happy to have the knobby tread

Have a great ride
+1 to this.

I used a Heidi Rear, TKC Front on an KLR. A great combo for this road.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,382
tires

I went from Idaho to Inuvik and back on K60's last summer on a GSA. The Dempster was rainy and muddy for 300 miles going back to Dawson. The k60 on the back was ok. I wished for a TKC on the front. The k60 rear will go 6k miles no problem. I am going for a set of TKC's this summer for a Bella Coola to Canol Road ride. Unless you need some company on the Lab...

tvbh40a screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 09:15 PM
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,382
New tire for the GSA

Metzeler has a new tire coming out this April. Karoo 3, worth a look.http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/en/p...alogue/Karoo-3
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
The lab is boring compared to what you did last year I've done them both. Not bad just boring if you compare the two locations!
I'm going back to the far north again next year......can't wait? Is it winter yet?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 5,001
I'd definitely recommend the K60 rear, TKC80 front combo, aka "The Mullet".

The best recommendation thus far has been to contact one of the Moncton Motorcycle Dealers and have tires changed there enroute.

The trip to Godbout is five(?) hours and then it's another 3 or more to Manic 5. Your tires should be fine for the trip around and then home...
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
Labrador Louis
n00b

Oddometer: 8
How far?

6000 miles? How far is that?
Labrador Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,528
I have not been on the TransLab, probably never will do it.

But if I were to go, it would be Hiedeneau's. had then on my F800 and currently have them on my KLX400.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 526
on my TLH ride last year I rode a GSA, ran the Heidi K60s on both front and rear. I liked it on the back, hated it on the front. If I was doing it again I'd definitely run the Heidi on the rear TKC on the front. I've got TKCs on the bike now and the front is holding up really well, I'm guessing it would last the trip for you.
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote