Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
JJJZJ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Rear EBC brake pads simply will not fit!

I bought a pair of EBC FA208R pads from a local shop. The fronts installed fine, but the rears simply will not fit.

I took the rear wheel off, compressed the caliper piston and installed everything without the new pads. The amount of clearance between the rotor and caliper is less than the thickness of the new pad. It simply cannot and will not fit!

We cross-referenced the pads with the bike in their book. Is there a chance that I got the wrong set?

I may throw the old ones back in for the time being as the GS is about to be my only mode of transportation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pics: http://jjjzj.smugmug.com/
JJJZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,253
I don't know if those are the right ones. Do you know what a sliding pin caliper is? Is it the inside pad that won't fit? If so, it is because the whole caliper has to be moved towards the wheel.

Loosen the reservoir lid. Put the palm of your hand/s on the outside of the caliper and rap your fingers over the rotor. Squeeze or push inwards and see if the off side doesn't make room.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
JJJZJ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Its the pad that rests against the caliper opposite the piston side. I gave your advice a shot and can now see how the sliding caliper works.

I gave it a few bumps and could see it slide, but it returned to almost where it was before. I was able to get the pad in after using a wrench to get it to slide (more force than I can bump with), but there is still a huge amount of friction between the rotor and the pad. So it moved a little, but not enough

Any ideas given these results?

I looked up an EBC catalog and they list a 213 model as fitting for the rear, not the 208. The 208 does fit the caliper perfectly though.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Kaw4Life
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,652
Pads are not the problem, your caliper is hung up. There is a kit to replace the moving parts, you may need it or you may get away with careful cleaning and lube.
Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
JJJZJ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ah interesting. Where does one obtain the new pieces if the cleaning and lube dont work?

Is the pin that the caliper slides on the only part that is hung up or are there multiple items to check out?

Old 03-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
JJJZJ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I took it all apart and cleaned it best I could with the tools I had. I will probably put on new dust seals and a slide pin as soon as I can order some. That thing was fully corroded and just about welded in there.

So if anyone runs into a brake pad not wanting to fit in the future, your caliper is probably seized. Just another thing to add to the regular maintenance list.

Thanks for the help. Bike is all together and the rear wheel is free spinning yet again!

Old 03-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #7
Kaw4Life
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,652
Glad to hear!

Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #8
bobbybeemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Same thing on 1150 rear calipers. There is a guy that makes a lot of stainless parts for the BMW's on eBay . He has front slide pins and a few rears but not the one for the 1150. Any good machinists out there here is a way to make a few bucks making some slide pins. I grease the shit out of the pin and pack the dust boot also with grease, new boots also helps. I get a very high quality caliper grease and since then it's been working fine. If you do lots of riding in the rain or water crossings service this every year.
bobbybeemer is offline   Reply With Quote