Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #91
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigPig View Post
If you do the BMW KTM split does Husaberg go with KTM and where does Husqvarna go?
BMW thumpers go under GS / singles
KTM thumpers go under KTM / singles
EVERYTHING ELSE stays in Thumpers

Clear enough?
The split would be by BRAND not by the name of holding company that happens to own the brand.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #92
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,256

I haven't noticed the problem much other than the fact that there are threads about non-thumpers in there. Really? A thread about Teneres in thumpers?
Punt it (and others like it) somewhere but I think thumpers is just fine if we just keep thumpers in there.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #93
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Whatever you do, please give the 2 strokes their own thread so that people will quit calling them thumpers.
this, we need a modern ring-a-ding forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn View Post

Clear enough?
The split would be by BRAND not by the name of holding company that happens to own the brand.
The problem here is there will be a hindrance to cross pollinating information about different marques which share the same engine, i.e. the BMW/Husky 450 engine; the BMW, Aprillia, and Husky Rotax; and the KTM/Berg newer dual and single cam engines.

Perhaps a split on topic, Touring, Trail, Street, and Upkeep/Modification.
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.

VxZeroKnots screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 07:32 AM
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #94
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn View Post

Clear enough?
Why? I just frankly don't understand why so many people here think KTM and BMW don't belong in a general Thumper discussion. I am not trying to be a smartass, I really want to know what the rationale is for the idea. Especially given how many multi brand people post here.

And SigPig makes a valid point. A Berg is a KTM in blue dress. You split off KTM and you need to take Husaberg with it. How about the BMW powered Huskies? What brings me here instead of a brand specific forum is the outrageous mixing and matching. Why y'all want to make things homogeneous is beyond my comprehension.

Which is why I like to hear the actual rationale behind this idea. Maybe I am missing something.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #95
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post

I haven't noticed the problem much other than the fact that there are threads about non-thumpers in there. Really? A thread about Teneres in thumpers?
Punt it (and others like it) somewhere but I think thumpers is just fine if we just keep thumpers in there.

Erm, pretty sure I only counted one cylinder when I was building my Tenere. Just because you 'muricans only get the (2-cyl) Super Ten, doesn't change the fact that Teneres have been thumpers for nearly thirty years ;)

www.dashmoto.net
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #96
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
I hadn't read this before I wrote my last post, but that makes a lot of sense to me. What does everyone else think?
I can nitpick every potential approach, but I think this is reasonably logical, and should help people find the right forum.

I would make three forums out of Thumpers:

Singles under 599cc - Dirty!
Singles over 599cc - Far!
2-strokes - Prehistoric! (just kidding)

My logic is that this makes cross pollination between brands easier than splitting it by manufacturer, and the intended use within these divisions is more or less distinct.

Sure, there are some bikes that cross over, but there is a lot of commonality in intended use by and large.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #97
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
I have deep scars on my back from the days when we nuked threads that we thought weren't interesting, only to find out later after the rider was killed or something that they were priceless to their families, etc.
I read this yesterday, it had relevance but did not really hit home til last night.
I lost my brother to cancer a year ago at the tender age of 57. He was a prolific poster here and I spent some time looking through his posts last night. After seeing his pics that I had not seen before and reading his posts it has moved me to put together a monage of his experiences and share it with family and friends. I am glad this opportunity exists.... I miss you Gary (Hammer).
As far as the split I guess the best idea I have heard is the cc's split. Any change that happens I will adapt but wiser minds in this subject should prevail.
Thank you all for providing an informative and entertaining site.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #98
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
I'm looking for a small-displacement dual sport and a mid-displacement street bike. I depend on the inmates in the thumper and road warrior forums to let me know what's new from the manufacturers. If thumpers had been divided into two forums by displacement I probably wouldn't have seen the Husky 650 strada/terra thread. Now I'm considering the strada for my street bike.

I like the way things are. I don't think there's any way to divide the forum that will increase it's utility--only decrease it.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #99
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
I'm looking for a small-displacement dual sport and a mid-displacement street bike. I depend on the inmates in the thumper and road warrior forums to let me know what's new from the manufacturers. If thumpers had been divided into two forums by displacement I probably wouldn't have seen the Husky 650 strada/terra thread. Now I'm considering the strada for my street bike.

I like the way things are. I don't think there's any way to divide the forum that will increase it's utility--only decrease it.
That's exactly my worry. Somebody considering a mild 250 DS bike (i.e. xt250) could easily be looking at a DR650 as well depending upon their mission. But I would guess the person looking for a CFR250/XT250/DR200 isn't looking for a small displacement KTM or Husky.

I still like the idea of moving the megathreads, but perhaps a dirt only subforum may work too.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #100
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashmoto View Post
Erm, pretty sure I only counted one cylinder when I was building my Tenere. Just because you 'muricans only get the (2-cyl) Super Ten, doesn't change the fact that Teneres have been thumpers for nearly thirty years ;)

Sorry about that, yes we only get the big pig and it sure as heck isn't a thumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
I can nitpick every potential approach, but I think this is reasonably logical, and should help people find the right forum.

I would make three forums out of Thumpers:

Singles under 599cc - Dirty!
Singles over 599cc - Far!
2-strokes - Prehistoric! (just kidding)

My logic is that this makes cross pollination between brands easier than splitting it by manufacturer, and the intended use within these divisions is more or less distinct.

Sure, there are some bikes that cross over, but there is a lot of commonality in intended use by and large.

I like this!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #101
coloktmGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Sorry about that, yes we only get the big pig and it sure as heck isn't a thumper.

I like this!
I do too...only issue...where does the ATK 605 go? It's a 605 with a 598cc engine?
coloktmGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #102
Gordy
Team Listo

ATK Forum, NOW!!!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #103
rch10007
Dotted Quad Ranger

Oddometer: 39
Eh? $0.02

If there's a poll somewhere, I would think the split into 3 groups makes the most sense.

Small Thumpers
Big Thumpers
Smokers

I never thought about how the mix of bikes in one forum actually contributes to the overall forum but I can see that it does and would vote against separating the forum into brands.

I can say that I do think it sucks trying to search a MegaThread to find info as there are tons of shit to sort through but at least I know its in there somewhere!

If the main forums were split into categories instead of bikes, I think that would be better:

Instead of a Bikes Section separated by types, have the Section split up by Engines, Suspension, Electrical, etc and THEN have the bikes section as a subforum from those so when folks are wanting specific info like fork swaps for a DR650, the search results from that section would be nothing but suspension related thread as opposed to a search now from a MegaThread that shows a damn post everytime someone mentions the search term and may or may not a valid return.

OR, vise versa...split the bikes section further into engines, electrical, etc... Once you enter the Section: Thumpers, you get a long list of bike megathreads...searching for specific topics IS difficult and could be remedied by breaking out the subjects folks are searching for (engines, suspension, etc...)
Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #104
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 525
Subforums

Thumpers

Bigblocks (>=500cc)
Smallblocks (<500cc)
Two-Strokes
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #105
nomad guy
nonaffiliated

Oddometer: 783
I think splitting would be a welcome change. As stated before, finding something in a 400+ pages of a mega thread is a major PITA.
I vote for KTM and BMW go their way.
Also, please make this thread a sticky and poll.

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote