User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 04:52 AM   #7921
Bumpaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Clutch safety switch question

Hi all. A friend of mine has a 2008 690E and on a ride in Utah last year the bike developed an intermittent problem where after the engine had been shut off it would not start again. We figured it was probably one of the safety switches, either kickstand or clutch. We started at the clutch safety switch and after pulling it apart and cleaning it the bike started right up. Problem solved..maybe not. The bike did this again during the ride and we employed the same fix with good enough results to finish the ride. When my friend got home he had another similiar incident so his mechanic cut the safety switch and jumpered it to remove it from the system and as we know from other posts, this misguided shortcut caused other problems. On the advice of the inmates here, the old switch was spliced back in and the bike is running fine. My friend is certain that Murphy's Law is going to strike again and leave him stranded out in the pickertoolies. With my keen sense of the obvious, I suggested a replacement of the old clutch safety switch with a new one, but I would like to solicit advice from the experience of everyone here if this would be the right fix? The previous owner has told him that the kickstand safety had been removed and replaced with the KTM kit. Is there something else that he should be looking at here also? Thanks for the help.
Bumpaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #7922
allroadrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Safari Fuel Tank

Anybody put one of these on lately and have the printed instructions
I purchased one of these from an inmate and he didn't have the instructions, I have looked at the various post's but would like to have a copy of the instructions if any one happens to have one laying around and could scan them or fax them to me
Thanks
ARR
allroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #7923
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
KTM 690 Auxillary fuel tank-suggestions please

I like the concept here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=6004
Can someone tell me how it connects/drains to the rear main?
And where to get the fittings for the replacement air filter?
Any other thoughts?

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum

(Are you understanding now!?)
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #7924
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by allroadrider View Post
I purchased one of these from an inmate and he didn't have the instructions, I have looked at the various post's but would like to have a copy of the instructions if any one happens to have one laying around and could scan them or fax them to me
Thanks
ARR
Here's the online set.

http://safaritanksusa.com/downloads/...structions.pdf

Print what you need.

Here's some helpful pics from another rider.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dpeward/...44625479545170
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #7925
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
I like the concept here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=6004
Can someone tell me how it connects/drains to the rear main?
And where to get the fittings for the replacement air filter?
Any other thoughts?
No pumps, it will empty front Alutank first.
You see the fuelline in the last picture going back to the filler neck and connects there.

Airfilter is easy, the EVO2 filter won't work tho, I use an uni filter.

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #7926
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by allroadrider View Post
Thanks
ARR

Be sure not to open the safari tank until you have ridden about 60 miles on the main tank otherwise the main tank will overflow

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #7927
allroadrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Safari Tank

Thanks
This is what I needed another example of what a great site this is
ARR
allroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #7928
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Safari Tank:

Rinse out new tank several times to clean out plastic shavings, mouse turds, and other crud before installing...

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:22 AM   #7929
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,062
I put an inline filter between the safari and the main tank...

I just finished changing the fuel pump in my bike as it died in my driveway two weeks ago... and set code 4long one short.
taking it apart.. don't forget to unplug the air box sensor, when removing the airbox, don't forget to remove the frame grnd before you flip up the main tank as they will break...
I found the fuel line was kinked from the dealer when he put the fuel line adapter on the main fuel tank...
I used the wiki690 web site http://ktm690.info/index.php/Main_Page for the recipe for the napa/ ca cycle pump... worked out wonderfully... not likely to kink again because of the rubber lines... vs plastic. I also found it was quite easy for the power lines to fall off the fuel pump when reinstalling so I put a zip tie right at the connections.. hopefully won't fall off...
dealer 400$ for fuel pump
ktm690.info recipe less than 200$ including shipping..

The bike is running again, but the bars got bent somehow last year, so the controls are all removed and the new bling is now on order for that...
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #7930
Bumpaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
I put an inline filter between the safari and the main tank...

I just finished changing the fuel pump in my bike as it died in my driveway two weeks ago... and set code 4long one short.
taking it apart.. don't forget to unplug the air box sensor, when removing the airbox, don't forget to remove the frame grnd before you flip up the main tank as they will break...
I found the fuel line was kinked from the dealer when he put the fuel line adapter on the main fuel tank...
I used the wiki690 web site http://ktm690.info/index.php/Main_Page for the recipe for the napa/ ca cycle pump... worked out wonderfully... not likely to kink again because of the rubber lines... vs plastic. I also found it was quite easy for the power lines to fall off the fuel pump when reinstalling so I put a zip tie right at the connections.. hopefully won't fall off...
dealer 400$ for fuel pump
ktm690.info recipe less than 200$ including shipping..

The bike is running again, but the bars got bent somehow last year, so the controls are all removed and the new bling is now on order for that...
May I ask what filter you used between the Safari and the main tank? Thanks
Bumpaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #7931
dunefreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I'm having an issue with coolant venting out of my overflow bottle tube. I already replaced the radiator cap and made sure the tank wasn't overfull. I seem to remember reading some guys were having this problem. Mine is a 2012 and has been doing this since new. Any ideas? I'm tired of coming home after a ride with coolant all over my right boot.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #7932
daveknievel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Mine did the same thing. But it wasn't coming out the hose. It was running down the hose because of a hole in my rad.
daveknievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #7933
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,460
Anybody CONUS have a set of .56nm 485mm springs sitting around they would like to unload? Even .59nm would work for me.
I finally got to serously ride Ginger after the rework of my shock. I put the 1-5/8 Kouba link back on first. Just so I could freaking touch the ground at least with my toes. I've decided to order in a 1" Kouba Link to keep from trashing my pan and tank. This chunky boy hits really HARD.
Now the front needs a bit more spring to match up with the rear. My valving is great, just a bit more spring.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #7934
dunefreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveknievel View Post
Mine did the same thing. But it wasn't coming out the hose. It was running down the hose because of a hole in my rad.
I haven't seen any leaks. The radiator looks ok. It's like when the bike gets warm it just slowly vents and fills the overflow bottle up and then pisses some out the overflow tube.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #7935
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunefreak View Post
I haven't seen any leaks. The radiator looks ok. It's like when the bike gets warm it just slowly vents and fills the overflow bottle up and then pisses some out the overflow tube.
could be a bad radiator cap that is not holding the pressure. If this happens you will overflow more liquid. Bad radiator caps are more common than you might think.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote