Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #31
uh72pilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
The Acerbis doesn't require 'major mods' to anything - I think the most people have had to do is pry the lobes apart a bit to get it to slide down over components.

With two petcocks, you won't have to do the tip & slosh to make use of all the gas.
I know this is an old post, but I just got a Clarke tank and have been wondering how to make use of all the gas considering there are two lobes and only one petcock. Do you literally have to tip it to the left to get the gas over to that side?
uh72pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #32
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by uh72pilot View Post
I know this is an old post, but I just got a Clarke tank and have been wondering how to make use of all the gas considering there are two lobes and only one petcock. Do you literally have to tip it to the left to get the gas over to that side?
Yes... and it is no big deal. When you run out... bike off... stand on the side holding onto the grip, tip the pig down a bit and then stand it back up. Some will make it out like this is some huge undertaking. I suspect they have never actually done it as it is easy
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #33
uh72pilot
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Yes... and it is no big deal. When you run out... bike off... stand on the side holding onto the grip, tip the pig down a bit and then stand it back up. Some will make it out like this is some huge undertaking. I suspect they have never actually done it as it is easy
Is there a 'reserve' as on the stock tank or do you just have to pay attention to how much is left? So you don't think returning the tank and going with a Acerbis is worth the effort? I haven't installed it yet, so I'd rather know before I put it on, but considering how many people have them and like them, it doesn't seem to be a big deal.
Thanks for the input! I appreciate it!
Old 03-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #34
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
First off I like the Acerbis tank, So I think returning it and getting an Acerbis is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh72pilot View Post
Is there a 'reserve' as on the stock tank or do you just have to pay attention to how much is left? So you don't think returning the tank and going with a Acerbis is worth the effort? I haven't installed it yet, so I'd rather know before I put it on, but considering how many people have them and like them, it doesn't seem to be a big deal.
Thanks for the input! I appreciate it!
Yes there is a reserve on the stock tank, it also has some trapped fuel in the right lobe in addition to the reserve. Here are a couple of pictures of the stock fuel valve. The brass tube is the fuel pickup for the normal on position. You will notice a crescent shaped hole at the base of the brass tube. This is the reserve fuel pickup.

One way to get all the fuel with out laying the bike over: is find a piece of fuel hose that will fit tightly over that brass straw. Fasten one end on the straw, weight the other end, and get it flipped over into the right hand lobe of the tank. Now the on position on the fuel valve will drain the right lobe of the tank. Reserve will get what's left in the left side. If you do this you might want to carry a bottle of spare fuel until you figure out what your range on reserve is, because it will likely be different than it was before. It will also be a good idea to put in an inline fuel filter, because you will no longer be able to use that filter screen shown beside the fuel valve in the pictures.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:37 AM   #35
uh72pilot
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
First off I like the Acerbis tank, So I think returning it and getting an Acerbis is a good idea.

Yes there is a reserve on the stock tank, it also has some trapped fuel in the right lobe in addition to the reserve. Here are a couple of pictures of the stock fuel valve. The brass tube is the fuel pickup for the normal on position. You will notice a crescent shaped hole at the base of the brass tube. This is the reserve fuel pickup.

One way to get all the fuel with out laying the bike over: is find a piece of fuel hose that will fit tightly over that brass straw. Fasten one end on the straw, weight the other end, and get it flipped over into the right hand lobe of the tank. Now the on position on the fuel valve will drain the right lobe of the tank. Reserve will get what's left in the left side. If you do this you might want to carry a bottle of spare fuel until you figure out what your range on reserve is, because it will likely be different than it was before. It will also be a good idea to put in an inline fuel filter, because you will no longer be able to use that filter screen shown beside the fuel valve in the pictures.

Walter
Thanks for the good info! I appreciate it. I'll probably go ahead and use the Clarke tank for now and see how it works. I got it online, so by the time I send it back and pay the restocking fee, I won't get that much back. If I hate it, I can always pick up the Acerbis tank later.