Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #75106
pzs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Thumpers to Split .. DR to be moved to back water?

I dont really understand, all I know is I log onto adv and learn about DR's, if this is going to be lost due to stuff I don't understand I will spend more time on DRRIDERS site, if DRRIDERS site grows that will keep me happy. I love ADV so I guess they will do what is nessesary, maybe it is time I payed a donation to ADV keep the DR thread and all other threads going, or maybe ADV loose all the non bike thread/forums...which I equally enjoy, but stay true to bike related info only, I can go anywhere and search for bulls#*t stuff, if doesn't need to be on a bike forum, loose it , I hate to say it..but if this is going to help keep the DR thread going, loose Jo MAMA,
pzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #75107
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
When I installed the steel braided lines on my bike I had trouble getting the air out of the lines I went to Harbor fright and got a brake bleeder that hooked up to my air compresser for about $20. bucks and it sucked all the air out fast money well spent. Paul

I have a brake bleeder but never one that hooked to a compressor. Which is that? Sounds good, i could spill a lot more fluid with a compressor .
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #75108
Otis357
Dirty Hippie

Oddometer: 413
Thanks for the great responses on my DR\exhaust question. I just placed an order with Jesse last week for some parts, and guess I will be calling him back to talk about the airbox mod and jetting kits too.

Im sure its in here somewhere, but how do you keep water and crap out of the airbox if you cut a giant hole in it?? We've been known to cross a few pretty deep water holes in our riding so I assume a small hole on the bottom to drain any water is a good idea too?

Really enjoy working on the bike, but carbs are one of those parts that have always mystified me. Not all that comfortable poking around in the more sensitive parts of the bike..... guess I better read up a little more before attempting this one.

Cheers...
Otis357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #75109
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis357 View Post
Thanks for the great responses on my DR\exhaust question. I just placed an order with Jesse last week for some parts, and guess I will be calling him back to talk about the airbox mod and jetting kits too.

Im sure its in here somewhere, but how do you keep water and crap out of the airbox if you cut a giant hole in it?? We've been known to cross a few pretty deep water holes in our riding so I assume a small hole on the bottom to drain any water is a good idea too?

Really enjoy working on the bike, but carbs are one of those parts that have always mystified me. Not all that comfortable poking around in the more sensitive parts of the bike..... guess I better read up a little more before attempting this one.

Cheers...
I run with the side off of mine, instead of having cut the top ... deep water can stall it.

I don't know about the cut-tops, but on mine the best I could do was to tip the bike to the left a little after stalling it and being a hair above the airbox's bottom in the water.

I think that if true deep-water crossing are in your future, not only should you consider leaving the airbox the way it is, but you may also think about a way to create a higher snorkel, and to use some water-resistant electrical goop to protect wire connections.

The thing about a DR650, IMHO, is that it's a heavy off-road bike, so I was finding myself in deep water - with drop-offs - and if the bike had stalled at its deepest I would have had to leave the bike submerged and out there since I didn't have any riders with me who could help recover it if lost.

It just isn't a lightweight enough bike for me to consider such water crossings again without being with other riders, and even then I'd probably choose a lighter dual sport if that were our focus.

Example of the trip I am referring to: This one got hairy and did stall the bike, but was far from the deepest I took the bike. The deepest was really only about 10 feet across, but it dropped off like a MF'er. In any of the four major water crossings I did I was wishing I had left the airbox stock.

their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #75110
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Thumb bleeder

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-f...der-92924.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
I have a brake bleeder but never one that hooked to a compressor. Which is that? Sounds good, i could spill a lot more fluid with a compressor .
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #75111
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzajohnson View Post
Yes granted. Anything is an improvement on the stock choke setup and getting damaged wasn't a consideration or concern for me when changing it. I was talking about the stock choke cable setup being dodgy because the cable goes tight and slack when you turn the handlebars. I was kind of wishing that I had purchased the case mounted one once I had fitted the direct to carby one and especially when I realised how fiddly it is to operate. Luckily I live in a warm climate and only have to use the choke first up in the mornings only and not leave on for long. Bike is warm enough to ride once I have my riding gear on and I am ready to mount the bike, so I can switch it off before I ride.
I had the carb mounted one. As stated earlier its somewhat a pia to reach. I tossed it and got the PC case mounted one and never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #75112
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
I had the carb mounted one. As stated earlier its somewhat a pia to reach. I tossed it and got the PC case mounted one and never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the case mounted one, which I liked, but now it doesn't want to stay out when I'm warming the bike. Is there something I need to adjust? Thanks
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #75113
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 575
I installed the case mounted one a few months ago and it never would stay out, had to hold it out with my hand until bike warmed up, ready a problem. Have not contacted Procycle about this problem but the previous one I bought from them stayed activated until pushed in. Not holding its self in out position is a PITA.

TraveGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
I have the case mounted one, which I liked, but now it doesn't want to stay out when I'm warming the bike. Is there something I need to adjust? Thanks
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #75114
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,943
Quote:

Cheers...
All you'll ever need to know about your carb.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=bst40

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #75115
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
I'm sure its in here somewhere, but how do you keep water and crap out of the airbox if you cut a giant hole in it?? We've been known to cross a few pretty deep water holes in our riding so I assume a small hole on the bottom to drain any water is a good idea too?
How deep is deep?
The hole is on the top so only about 3mm lower than with the snorkel.

There is already a drain tube on the airbox.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #75116
Otis357
Dirty Hippie

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
How deep is deep?
The hole is on the top so only about 3mm lower than with the snorkel.

There is already a drain tube on the airbox.
Definitely wouldn't ride anything that deeper than the snorkel... not intentionally anyway. Was considering more in regards to water splashing or being pushed up by the motion of the bike. Probably less of a worry than I originally thought....

ER70S - Thanks for the carb link that will keep me reading for awhile.

Otis357 screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 12:46 PM
Otis357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #75117
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,543
Quote:
Definitely wouldn't ride anything that deeper than the snorkel... not intentionally anyway. Was considering more in regards to water splashing or being pushed up by the motion of the bike. Probably less of a worry than I originally thought....

Actually, with the side of the airbox off the water being pushed was a major issue, so I had to ride extra slow. Not sure about with the top off.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #75118
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,943
Quote:

I should add: the BST bible was started by a KTM rider, there are differences between the two; so don't freak when something doesn't match.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #75119
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
I installed the case mounted one a few months ago and it never would stay out, had to hold it out with my hand until bike warmed up, ready a problem. Have not contacted Procycle about this problem but the previous one I bought from them stayed activated until pushed in. Not holding its self in out position is a PITA.

TraveGuy
There's an adjustment under the rubber boot right at the 90degree bend. I bet that will fix it. I've had other bikes with non-sticking Choke knobs and it's generally a matter of adjustment.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #75120
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Kickstand

Anyone have a non-shortened kickstand they are willing to part with?
If so, please pm me.
Thanks
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote