Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #766
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
...I found them poorly-designed and generally bad ergonomically. Why use 2 hands for such a basic function as signaling turns/lanes changes when 1 will easily and efficiently get the job done? This is such a basic tenet of solid engineering...
That's exactly how I feel about them. Two switches where one does the job perfectly. Ironically the last person I debated this with was an otherwise very intelligent engineer

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #767
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Rocket View Post
It seems every other bike I've had the lights blink when they damn well feel like it.
Hey RR

First things first:

CONGRATUMAFUCKINGLATIONS!!

An awesome bike; I'm sure you'll enjoy getting to know her...

As for the turn signals...

Your comment above hits home.

Other bikes I've had w/ Japanese style signals often had me riding along blinking after I had stabbed the "off switch" and inadvertently moved the switch up/down enough to have it indicating when I had no intention of turning.

Obviously a dangerous situation.

I feel that the BMW and HD signal systems obviate this problem.

SUUM CUIQUE

*Disclaimer* I am all thumbs; I have similar problems texting...

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #768
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 807
Funny how polarizing the old-style BMW turn signal thing can be....

I thought they were the dumbest thing on the planet when I first bought my K1200S. But after growing accustomed to them, I can honestly say I missed them on my K1300S, and still do on my current bike. They were very positive-feeling and intuitive. Not the end of the world, but I always liked that BMW didn't cave to Japanese convention. I like quirky stuff. They aren't THAT hard to get used to...HD sells more street bikes in the states than anyone, and the "right-to-go-right" system seems to work for them.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #769
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,962
I've used both turn signal systems extensively.
Both work just fine.
Much ado about nothing.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #770
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Both work just fine.
Much ado about nothing.
Crap - that's what I was trying to say, but I used five times as many words and never got there.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #771
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
Crap - that's what I was trying to say, but I used five times as many words and never got there.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #772
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Both work just fine.
Much ado about nothing.
Glad they worked out for you. I just happen to hold the opinion I do for the reasons I stated. No ado, no nothing, just opinion.
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #773
Ricky Rocket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
No pictures?

I guess there must be a threshold before you can post pictures here; I tried to post one of my new bike, but no-go. Any idea how many posts before I can attach a picture?
Ricky Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #774
Daddyo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I've lived on a popular stretch of Rt 66 for many years, we see several hundreds of moto's go by every day in warm weather.
I realize it's not a legit statistical sample but it is my observation of I don't know how many hundreds of thousands of riders per year.
If you throw out the locals, and the organized tour groups you end up with a lot of people from other parts of AZ and a lot of out of state plates. I visit with these riders quite a bit at their stops.

And on Rt 66 we routinely see:
A small but steady stream of Gold Wing type big honkey tourers, usually in groups of 3 to 6 but sometimes solo, sorry I'm not familiar with the various models in that category.
A small number of sport bikes (out of state) with some baggage strapped on, a very small number but they're an every day sight.
A majority of out of state H-D's, weighted toward the Electra Glide/Road Glides but a lot of naked or semi naked H-D's with heavy baggage strapped on.
A steady but only maybe 15% (just educated guessing there) of assorted sport tourers.
A significant number (right behind H-D) of ADV/dual sport/enduros that are packed high with luggage.
An increasing number of scooters, including those with 2 front wheels closely spaced. The scooters seem to move along fine at highway speeds.
A small but growing number of trikes, Harleys, Gold Wings and Can-Ams. More trikes every year.
Then the various interesting oddballs from Honda 50's to old Knucklehead Harleys, vintage BMW's, Ural sidehacks, etc.

To my eye, the number of sport tourers have steadily decreased as the ADV/Dual sports have increased, dramatically. Lots and lots of large aluminum panniers go by every day.
My older brother has at least 3 sport tourers (BMW & Triumph) at any one time so somebody still likes them, but my sampling from my road has the ADV's rather quickly taking over the world : )

You mileage of course.....

I should add that I wave at any moto just because, and on my road most wave back. In the winter everybody waves back. All will usually visit with me at stops, regardless of what style they are a-sportin.

My take is ride what makes you smile and I'll visit with you given the chance, it's really that simple even tho I'm on a H-D. The wind produces grins regardless.

DO
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #775
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Rocket View Post
I guess there must be a threshold before you can post pictures here; I tried to post one of my new bike, but no-go. Any idea how many posts before I can attach a picture?
Do you have your photos uploaded to something like Photo bucket? Then, you grab the link, use the hyperlink button/icon when posting, preview to be sure, and hopefully all went well.

My only ride report | IBA member | AMA member
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #776
Daddyo
Gnarly Adventurer

If you read Cycle World/Motor Cyclist/etc, their road tests claim the better ADV rides handle almost as good on hyway as the sport tourers (and maybe the sport bikes in some cases) and are comfortable long term without cramped ergos.
That plus the popularity and large accessory selection of the ADV type rides means they must be encroaching on ST sales I'd think.
Add the ability to do dirt roads/easy tracks and the appeal broadens.

Who knows what the "next big thing'll be".
ADV is IN right now tho.
Accessory manufacturers must love it, a ST bike doesn't need a whole lot (I see a FEW custom seats, tank bags, taller windscreens and MAYBE exhaust but that's about it) but the bags, dry bags, hard bags, tank bags, exhausts, aux lights, racks, etc, etc, etc are rampant on the big dual sports I see. Must help the industry overall because ADV bikes sport a lot of add ons. That might be part of the attraction in the first place. People love to buy stuff for their bike.
And a full tilt accessorized ADV ride makes (some kind) of statement. How much stuff can you throw on a sport tourer (that's visible)? Humans looooove to bolt things on their moto : )

DO
Old 03-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #777
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

^ ^ ^

Street oriented tires have a lot do do with Cycle World's comment, right?

My only ride report | IBA member | AMA member
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #778
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,770
Often those ADV accessories trickle over the the sport-tour side of riding too. I browse the ADV manufacture sites and get ideas and try to see if I can use it and possibly get to to "fit" my bike. If not, I'll try to fabricate and duplicate it for my use. Sure, my fab skills are weak, but I gotta start some time. Sport-tour guys like the bolt on stuff too and unless you have a current model, you're out of luck on an older bike like my 03 Blackbird. Yeah, I can get some neat stuff but the money is on newer rides, not an old rocketship.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #779
Daddyo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocopter View Post
^ ^ ^

Street oriented tires have a lot do do with Cycle World's comment, right?

That.............. or advertising dollars??
I don't profess to know what lies behind the printed reviews. I guess we have to read with a cynical mind. The interwebs have moderated the "advertisers" influence to a degree. But the handling characteristics of some of the ADV (?) rides are pretty good from all that I hear (?!).
The horsepower numbers are certainly there, sometimes with added low end and mid range (a lot of people love low/midrange power on the commute or just bumming around for fun). That's enough to sell a lot of people.
Either way my take is strictly antecdotal evidence of ONE guys observations on ONE stretch of road road so take it or leave it.
I ride odd moto's configured in odd ways. So I'm biased but I don't see any end to ST bikes, but the big/high HP/good handling ADV's seem (to me) to be taking significant market share from the sport touring world.
If they can still do the same thing almost as good, plus a little more, like some level of dirt capability,(in a currently popular configuration with a ton of accessories available and if H-D has proven anything it's that accessories are popular with anyone owning a moto and having a small amount of discresionary income), then it makes sense in a mass market world.
ADV rides (in terms of $$$) are the all terrain equivilant of the H-D chrome craze ie I MUST add onto this blank canvas I now own! I must! I must!
All of this might not suite your or my tastes, but both in the end are good for the overall state of motorcycling as MORE riders (even if they are hobby type, part timer, the weather is great lets get out "the accessorized bike"), the more motorcycles registered the better chance we all have, legislatively and otherwise.

DO
Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #780
Daddyo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post
Often those ADV accessories trickle over the the sport-tour side of riding too. I browse the ADV manufacture sites and get ideas and try to see if I can use it and possibly get to to "fit" my bike. If not, I'll try to fabricate and duplicate it for my use. Sure, my fab skills are weak, but I gotta start some time. Sport-tour guys like the bolt on stuff too and unless you have a current model, you're out of luck on an older bike like my 03 Blackbird. Yeah, I can get some neat stuff but the money is on newer rides, not an old rocketship.

Well my ride has a lot of home made stuff on it, but we fabricate for a living.
I just don't see the large amount of stuff you can bolt on a large ADV type ride available for a ST ride.
A Sport Touring bike already has most of it from the factory. People like (it seems to me) to buy a ride, and then spend quite a bit of time/money customizing that ride to suite their wants/needs/image, and the ADV bikes allow that.

DO