Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #376
makinwaves
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,888
Hi everyone. I'm looking for information regarding the ferry between Panama and Colombia. I heard you can take a ferry now and am really interested. Where do I catch it and how much does it cost? So cool, can't wait! And can't believe they actually have a ferry running now!!! Thanks in advance for any info!!!
makinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #377
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Hey makinwaves, why don't you just read a little of this thrtead??
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #378
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
Charlie, I went back through the whole tread and counted 6 pictures of different boats in 385 posts, you know what they say "If it has pictures it must be TRUE".
2014 Ride Report: Ring of Ireland in 30 days
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #379
makinwaves
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:

Hey Charlie...I was just trying to be funny and stir the pot a little. This thread has been too funny to just let it die.

Cheers.
makinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #380
Nttra
I lost my OLD posts!

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
I don't think I would ride Central America if I wanted to tour South America. The border crossings are a PITA, it often takes less time to ride across the country than to cross the border! Since you have to ship the bike anyway, a better option might be to ship the bike directly to Colombia from Mexico or the US, then spend your time touring the bigger countries with fewer crossings. Or even fly down and buy a bike there.

I think the very same. I guess the economic costs and frustration going border crossing each country and the Darien Gap TWICE (since I somewhat expect to return home someday), outweigh shipping From point A to B.

That's why I decided to ship the bike, and myself from Miami straight to Colombia, and spend the savings on coffee and relaxing at the mountains and the beaches at that paradisaical country. From there I expect to head down all the way to Tierra de Fuego, take the due picture, and go back to Buenos Aires, and decide there where to go next.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #381
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nttra View Post
I think the very same. I guess the economic costs and frustration going border crossing each country and the Darien Gap TWICE (since I somewhat expect to return home someday), outweigh shipping From point A to B.

That's why I decided to ship the bike, and myself from Miami straight to Colombia. From there I expect to head down all the way to Tierra de Fuego, take the due picture, and go back to Buenos Aires,

IMHO skipping Mexico and Central America is a huge mistake !!! You have no idea what you would be missing .
If border crossings are frustrating or not ,depends exclusively on you and your attitude .
Then again if it's just about getting from A to B in order to take the "due picture" and get the hell out from there......
Old 03-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #382
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
IMHO skipping Mexico and Central America is a huge mistake !!! You have no idea what you would be missing .
If border crossings are frustrating or not ,depends exclusively on you and your attitude .
Then again if it's just about getting from A to B in order to take the "due picture" and get the hell out from there......
I couldn't agree more, borders are just part of the play, just allow yourself plenty of time so no stress and treat it as an excursion rather than a job.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #383
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 1,339
Don't skip it

You are making a huge mistake to skip Mexico and Central America!! We were over 10 weeks in Mexico and just scratched the surface. We only left because we have to eventually cross the Darrien. Guatemala' s riding /sights/people are amazing. El Salvador is tiny but awesone. Nicaragua and Ometepe are must see spots. We are currently in Costa Rica. We had originally planned a quick exit from Guatemala and thankfully we listened to GuateRider.

Sara

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #384
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,992
The only thing Central America and South America have in common is the language, and even that is a Barely.

Spending all your time in one country is like parking yourself in front of one entre at the smorgasboord. Go ahead and fill up on the tacos, but then you won't have any room for the ceviche or the parilla.

The cost of shipping from Panama to Colombia is the same as shipping from the US to Colombia.

If you want to spend a year riding Mexico, I really don't care. If you want to skip Central America, I really don't care. I mean, I don't begrudge you your version of adventure.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #385
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Plenty to see in Mexico and Central America, and no one's ever had time to see and do it all yet. You could easily spend years exploring, maybe longer.

On the other hand, there's a reason why most riders prefer South America and start piling on the superlatives as soon as they get on the road in Colombia. You'll see.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:16 AM   #386
Yappei
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
To each his own

Not a big deal to pass up anything - depends on your objectives, time available, whatever. However, after having ridden a large part of Latin America, Asia, and Europe the border crossings are part of the experience. Sometimes easy, sometimes frustrating - for example the border crossing between Costa Rica and Nicaragua or Argentina and Chile near Mendoza - depending on the day, time, and immigration officer the experience can vary dramatically. It's an attitude. As we say here in Costa Rica - Pura Vida.

This being said - I live in Costa Rica and I have had the opportunity to ride most roads in the country and I have to say the experience is incredible. There are places totally unbelievable and I would not pass for anything in any other country. Mountain passes, coastal roads, northern plains, small villages, extreme high end resorts, tent camping, off asphalt, on asphalt, the unexpected, all of it is here and I would have hated to miss it as part of my overall Latin American experience.

Triumph Tiger Explorer, Graphite, Jessie Luggage.
Yappei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #387
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Many Have Thoughts & Opinions

While I cannot give an opinion on shipping to Colombia I CAN speak a little to CA. I've just returned from a seven week adventure of Mexico & CA and did make it as far south as Yavisa, PAN. The border crossings were some quick and some slow, some easy and some hard. Some frustrating and some happy as a lark. I had to learn that they are just part of the adventure. One trip certainly does not an expert make but I am REALLY glad I did it and I WILL return. Time and desire need to be the riders choices.

Just one riders opinion,

ADV Fool
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #388
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
Plenty to see in Mexico and Central America, and no one's ever had time to see and do it all yet. You could easily spend years exploring, maybe longer.

Mark
My guess is Sjoerd Bakker is about the closest rider to seeing all of Mexico and Central america and its taken him 27 years of exploring!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #389
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
The only thing Central America and South America have in common is the language, and even that is a Barely.
Not quite true.
Most people in Central America speak Spanish?
Most people in South America speak Portuguese?

It is more than barely. Or should it be less than barely?

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #390
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Not quite true.
Most people in Central America speak Spanish?
Most people in South America speak Portuguese?

It is more than barely. Or should it be less than barely?
It's the accents and use of words that makes the Spanish completely different.

The Mexico spanish is completely fucking different from the Chile spanish. When I got to Chile I couldn't understand anybody. In Argentina it was a little better, but the people on the farms in remote places speak a spanish that I can't understand. My uncles's wife is from Argentina and she lives in Panama and often when she's talking all I can do is say to my uncle, Your wife is very beautiful but I have no fucking idea what she's saying.

Also there are millions and millions of Indians that don't speak Spanish at all, especially in Mexico, Guatemala, Ecuador, and Peru. It's not unusual for the Kuna, Embera, and Wounan of Panama to not speak Spanish. I can't speak to Bolivia or Brazil because I've never been there.