ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #7516
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,995
All Heli-Coiled?

You must be a ham fisted mechanic.











































__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #7517
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Royal Club's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
All Heli-Coiled?

You must be a ham fisted mechanic.












































Well.. yeah.. no.. maybe..

P.O. Stripped half of them.. other half just were waiting to be stripped so I coil'd them in advance.
__________________
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #7518
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
deejay_xr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post

You must be a ham fisted mechanic.
I like that expression, hamfisted

English makes me smile sometimes



Carry on
__________________
'87 XR600R, 17's and fully black
deejay_xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #7519
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,995
I try...
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #7520
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Rifle, Colorado
Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
I'll bite. I think that they were all Showa (?) and 43mm...but up to 1991 were just dampening forks (appreantly not great) whereas 91 onwards they used cartridge style (a lot better?). I know this doesnt help you IDing the forks but there you go!

I assume someone wouldnt have put the older (shitter) XR forks on a TT. Out of interest, have you ever seen/heard of the TT600 Belgardas? I was soooo close to buying one, they look sick and pimped as shit. Full Ohlins,braided lines, brembo brakes etc, all made in Italy.



Cheers,

John

Thanks John. They are non cartridge forks. I swapped to the XR forks for the front disc brake. The TT came with a drum brake front end. I'm guessing 88-90 was the model year because of the red fork boots. Honda switched to blue boots in 91. The Belgarda never came to the U.S. Even the TT/XT Yamahas never were as popular as the XR/XL Hondas. Aftermarket Yamaha TT parts are VERY hard to find here. Thanks again, Kelly.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #7521
zipper2680
couch traveller
 
zipper2680's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Portugal
Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
zipper, your je piston is 20k old? and still works well? is this the one you are using right now

and is it a true 10.8.1? or less? you know that wiseco and je conspiracy and less comp ratio than posted etc...deal

thanks

Hey!

The piston is a 10.8 :1 JE and has 20.000 kms on it and still working without problems. The box mentioned the comp ratio but i also shaved the cylinder top 1mm. So the actual compression ratio is even higher. Had 0.6mm clearance.


__________________
94 XR600R
2000 Transalp 650
zipper2680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #7522
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Royal Club's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 392
Just got back from my mates place, I'm diggin my new headlight!!

Its got pretty good lighting compared to the old 30/35watt light.. Too bad it aims upwards and lights up trees and such

gotta aim it down a bit and reconnect the wires, I think the highbeam is now working for the lowbeam
__________________
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #7523
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Captain115's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Brisbane, Straya
Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
Just got back from my mates place, I'm diggin my new headlight!!

Its got pretty good lighting compared to the old 30/35watt light.. Too bad it aims upwards and lights up trees and such

gotta aim it down a bit and reconnect the wires, I think the highbeam is now working for the lowbeam
Ohhh more info?

Also I only have a 3 (or 4/5 can't remember) pole stator. Does this mean I won't ever be able to draw enough power for axillary lights, GPS devices etc?

Thanks,

John

EDIT

Here's the update list...please feel free to amend or suggest! Thanks RoostMaster for the tensioner spring idea:

Wiseco 98MM (1mm O/S) 11:1 piston kit $155.14 USD
OEM Honda Cam $122.88 USD
4x OEM Rockers $140.48 USD
Cam Chain $77.04 USD
Cam Tensioner Spring $3.86 USD
M3 Gear $82.97 USD
C2 Gear $81.32 USD
Gearshift Reset Spring $2.28 USD
Cosmetic 98mm Top End Gasket Kit $31.91 USD
Cosmetic Bottom End Gasket Kit $38.13 USD
Clutch Side Oil seal $1.86 USD
Countershaft Oil seal $3.96 USD
Kickstarter Oil Seal $2.93 USD
Bikemaster Steel Magnetic Oil Drain plug $7.85 USD
3x HiFlo Oil Filter $6.90 USD

Captain115 screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 09:22 PM
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:40 AM   #7524
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Royal Club's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
Ohhh more info?

Also I only have a 3 (or 4/5 can't remember) pole stator. Does this mean I won't ever be able to draw enough power for axillary lights, GPS devices etc?

Thanks,

John

EDIT

Here's the update list...please feel free to amend or suggest! Thanks RoostMaster for the tensioner spring idea:

Wiseco 98MM (1mm O/S) 11:1 piston kit $155.14 USD
OEM Honda Cam $122.88 USD
4x OEM Rockers $140.48 USD
Cam Chain $77.04 USD
Cam Tensioner Spring $3.86 USD
M3 Gear $82.97 USD
C2 Gear $81.32 USD
Gearshift Reset Spring $2.28 USD
Cosmetic 98mm Top End Gasket Kit $31.91 USD
Cosmetic Bottom End Gasket Kit $38.13 USD
Clutch Side Oil seal $1.86 USD
Countershaft Oil seal $3.96 USD
Kickstarter Oil Seal $2.93 USD
Bikemaster Steel Magnetic Oil Drain plug $7.85 USD
3x HiFlo Oil Filter $6.90 USD



Ufo Ghibli halogen (I think bikebandit still has them in stock.)
50/55w halogen bulb.

as for stator I wouldn't know. I have a European spec stator (aftermarket though) so I think the lighting coils are more/powerfull?
__________________
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #7525
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
deejay_xr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
M3 Gear $82.97 USD
C2 Gear $81.32 USD
Does this mean 'main shaft, 3rd gear' & 'countershaft, 2nd gear' ?

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to swap the gears as a pair when you replace one, because although the other gear of the pair may not look damaged, it may already have some abnormal wear from rubbing on a damaged gear.
An analogy would be replacing your sprockets and not your chain.

I am not sure just HOW crucial this is though, depends on how badly the bad gears are worn too of course ....
__________________
'87 XR600R, 17's and fully black
deejay_xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #7526
LandsVW
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LandsVW's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Tri City, Oregon
Oddometer: 257
Question suspension setup questions for 1986 X600R

I've got my bike up and running. Wanted to just get it back to at least factory settings so I can play with the suspension settings a bit. I have done some amount of research and can't find anything 86 specific. I will change the front fork oil. I've normally used ATF for front fork oil. What is the amount?
Is there a setting on the front forks? And finally, what are the stock settings on the rear suspension? I just want to get it back to baseline so I can work from there.

thanks,

L
__________________
"BRAAAAAP. Wait, no, I mean - Thump Thump Thump Thump Thump."

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835547
LandsVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #7527
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Captain115's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Brisbane, Straya
Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay_xr View Post
Does this mean 'main shaft, 3rd gear' & 'countershaft, 2nd gear' ?

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to swap the gears as a pair when you replace one, because although the other gear of the pair may not look damaged, it may already have some abnormal wear from rubbing on a damaged gear.
An analogy would be replacing your sprockets and not your chain.

I am not sure just HOW crucial this is though, depends on how badly the bad gears are worn too of course ....
Yep, good pickup deejay. I'm actually getting another three gears from Steve, these two were just ones that he didn't have any spares of...so OEM Honda it is. You would think they're made of gold for the price, 1 new gear = 2 cartons of quality beer.

Thats a lot of beer I'm missing out on . Luckily Steve is saving me money with the other gears!

Thanks man,

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #7528
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Captain115's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Brisbane, Straya
Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post


Ufo Ghibli halogen (I think bikebandit still has them in stock.)
50/55w halogen bulb.

as for stator I wouldn't know. I have a European spec stator (aftermarket though) so I think the lighting coils are more/powerfull?
Thanks for that Royal, I've been wanting to see if I could run a brighter light than the 35W one. Might grab that bulb you mention.

Also, sweet looking XR!

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #7529
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
deejay_xr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
Yep, good pickup deejay. I'm actually getting another three gears from Steve, these two were just ones that he didn't have any spares of...so OEM Honda it is. You would think they're made of gold for the price, 1 new gear = 2 cartons of quality beer.

Thats a lot of beer I'm missing out on . Luckily Steve is saving me money with the other gears!

Thanks man,

John
Yes rebuilding an engine is f*ing murder on your wallet

Great to hear you got some help from Steve
__________________
'87 XR600R, 17's and fully black
deejay_xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #7530
Mybrainheadache
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Ohio
Oddometer: 65
USD Fork Cnversion Complete - For Sale

Hey all...I just listed a complete like new 2003 CR Front End along with Wheel and stuff including a never used set of Emig Clamps Top and Bottom....For Sale in the Flea Mkt....get into the 90's on that thing !
Mybrainheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014