Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
jconly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
'09 990 Cams in '07 - Who's done it?

Curious to know.

I'm wondering if anything additional would be required aside from bolting these in and loading up a different mapping with the timing change? Any changes to valve tolerances? Any other differences between these two generations of engines and FI that would warrant other modification?

I've been trying to get in touch with PowerTRIPP to get a custom map made for my 07 bike, but neither emails or voicemails have been returned. I figure my next best option is to use one of his already made maps for the newer bikes. Ideally though, I'd love to have him build me a custom map with the newer cams and the CPR filter.
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
种.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 267
I did it to my -06. Haven't yet rode it but it seems to idle ok with 2011 akramap values. Exhaust note sounds a bit different.

I adjusted valve clearances according to original specs.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
jconly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks.
Original specs for the 06/07 or the 2011?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,832
I would be interested to hear how these cams affect low/mid range torque.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconly View Post
Curious to know.

I'm wondering if anything additional would be required aside from bolting these in and loading up a different mapping with the timing change? Any changes to valve tolerances? Any other differences between these two generations of engines and FI that would warrant other modification?

I've been trying to get in touch with PowerTRIPP to get a custom map made for my 07 bike, but neither emails or voicemails have been returned. I figure my next best option is to use one of his already made maps for the newer bikes. Ideally though, I'd love to have him build me a custom map with the newer cams and the CPR filter.
I believe there is a small difference in the internal jet that's lubing the cams between these years. The jet is part of the cases but it can be modified to work.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconly View Post
Curious to know.

No mods needed except valve clearance of course. Map change may not be needed either. Depends on how bad your map is right now. Sometimes they help. Timing change is not needed. I've been running them for 5 years and still using ignition tables from 07 standard adventure.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
jconly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
No mods needed except valve clearance of course. Map change may not be needed either. Depends on how bad your map is right now. Sometimes they help. Timing change is not needed. I've been running them for 5 years and still using ignition tables from 07 standard adventure.
Thanks!

I actually had the chance to speak to the guys down at PowerTRIPP the other day. $350 for a custom map, not as bad as I was expecting.

Now it's just a matter of pulling the trigger.
Bike is currently in Florida, and needs a good bit of maintenance just to get her running again. Just a matter of coming up with the funds now for the cams and an upgraded air box situation in addition.

Just doesn't make sense to get a custom map made without going all the way.