Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
mattlikesbikes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
GPS With Missed Call alert?

Anyone know of a GPS unit (pref. Garmin) that will display if you have a missed call?

When I am out on a ride I rarely hear my phone ring or feel it vibrate. It's in my chest pocket and would prefer to keep it there. But if I had some kinda of Bluetooth caller ID, hell even just a plinky red light, I'd be fine.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
Anyone know of a GPS unit (pref. Garmin) that will display if you have a missed call?

When I am out on a ride I rarely hear my phone ring or feel it vibrate. It's in my chest pocket and would prefer to keep it there. But if I had some kinda of Bluetooth caller ID, hell even just a plinky red light, I'd be fine.

Thanks
I'm not aware of any unit that will, but why don't you just get a headset intercom and you could answer the call if it's important enough to you? I answer calls on my Scala G4, and often people can't even tell I'm on a ride.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
bobbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:

Thanks
I have a garmin nuvi , it has bluetooth to my phone and acts like a speaker phone in my car, may need a headset or something for it to work , but it shows the call and text msg on the screen , hope this helps
bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
mattlikesbikes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
I have a garmin nuvi , it has bluetooth to my phone and acts like a speaker phone in my car, may need a headset or something for it to work , but it shows the call and text msg on the screen , hope this helps
This is a great start. I had looked at the Nuvi, but it says very little on the garmin site about the features.

I don't really want to take calls while I ride, thus I am staying away from temptation with a headset. But if the GPS wants to think it is a speakerphone and give me caller ID, that would be great.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
bobbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
This is a great start. I had looked at the Nuvi, but it says very little on the garmin site about the features.

I don't really want to take calls while I ride, thus I am staying away from temptation with a headset. But if the GPS wants to think it is a speakerphone and give me caller ID, that would be great.

ill figure out what nuvi i have today , its an older one , it plays mp3 and has an fm transmitter , worked great for what i have used it for , i bought a cheap waterproof mount off ebay and use it on my triumph
bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
What your Nuvi does depends on which phone it's paired with. Back when I had a POS Samsung phone, my 780 read and allowed me to reply via the keyboard to text messages, gave me a lot of the features the phone offered, but now that I have an iPhone, this same Nuvi 780 only gives me hands free phone features. Nothing else.

So test any gps units with your own phone.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
bhb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
What your Nuvi does depends on which phone it's paired with. Back when I had a POS Samsung phone, my 780 read and allowed me to reply via the keyboard to text messages, gave me a lot of the features the phone offered, but now that I have an iPhone, this same Nuvi 780 only gives me hands free phone features. Nothing else.

So test any gps units with your own phone.
Similar to in-dash OEM car nav systems. My cars nav allows for text message display, but iPhone doesn't support it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,453
last time I missed a cal it was on my phone

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:11 AM   #9
OkieTom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
My Zumo 665 will display the incoming call when paired to your phone, personally I would suggest a headset but if you just want to know when you have an incoming call it will do that without one.
OkieTom is offline   Reply With Quote