ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
mattlikesbikes OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 194
GPS With Missed Call alert?

Anyone know of a GPS unit (pref. Garmin) that will display if you have a missed call?

When I am out on a ride I rarely hear my phone ring or feel it vibrate. It's in my chest pocket and would prefer to keep it there. But if I had some kinda of Bluetooth caller ID, hell even just a plinky red light, I'd be fine.

Thanks
__________________
2009 F 650 GS - Lava Orange
mattlikesbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
Anyone know of a GPS unit (pref. Garmin) that will display if you have a missed call?

When I am out on a ride I rarely hear my phone ring or feel it vibrate. It's in my chest pocket and would prefer to keep it there. But if I had some kinda of Bluetooth caller ID, hell even just a plinky red light, I'd be fine.

Thanks
I'm not aware of any unit that will, but why don't you just get a headset intercom and you could answer the call if it's important enough to you? I answer calls on my Scala G4, and often people can't even tell I'm on a ride.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
bobbo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: wisconsin
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
Anyone know of a GPS unit (pref. Garmin) that will display if you have a missed call?

When I am out on a ride I rarely hear my phone ring or feel it vibrate. It's in my chest pocket and would prefer to keep it there. But if I had some kinda of Bluetooth caller ID, hell even just a plinky red light, I'd be fine.

Thanks
I have a garmin nuvi , it has bluetooth to my phone and acts like a speaker phone in my car, may need a headset or something for it to work , but it shows the call and text msg on the screen , hope this helps
bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
mattlikesbikes OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
I have a garmin nuvi , it has bluetooth to my phone and acts like a speaker phone in my car, may need a headset or something for it to work , but it shows the call and text msg on the screen , hope this helps
This is a great start. I had looked at the Nuvi, but it says very little on the garmin site about the features.

I don't really want to take calls while I ride, thus I am staying away from temptation with a headset. But if the GPS wants to think it is a speakerphone and give me caller ID, that would be great.
__________________
2009 F 650 GS - Lava Orange
mattlikesbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
bobbo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: wisconsin
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
This is a great start. I had looked at the Nuvi, but it says very little on the garmin site about the features.

I don't really want to take calls while I ride, thus I am staying away from temptation with a headset. But if the GPS wants to think it is a speakerphone and give me caller ID, that would be great.

ill figure out what nuvi i have today , its an older one , it plays mp3 and has an fm transmitter , worked great for what i have used it for , i bought a cheap waterproof mount off ebay and use it on my triumph
bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
I have a garmin nuvi , it has bluetooth to my phone and acts like a speaker phone in my car, may need a headset or something for it to work , but it shows the call and text msg on the screen , hope this helps
What your Nuvi does depends on which phone it's paired with. Back when I had a POS Samsung phone, my 780 read and allowed me to reply via the keyboard to text messages, gave me a lot of the features the phone offered, but now that I have an iPhone, this same Nuvi 780 only gives me hands free phone features. Nothing else.

So test any gps units with your own phone.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
bhb
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SLC, UT / SoCal / Ketchum, ID
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
What your Nuvi does depends on which phone it's paired with. Back when I had a POS Samsung phone, my 780 read and allowed me to reply via the keyboard to text messages, gave me a lot of the features the phone offered, but now that I have an iPhone, this same Nuvi 780 only gives me hands free phone features. Nothing else.

So test any gps units with your own phone.
Similar to in-dash OEM car nav systems. My cars nav allows for text message display, but iPhone doesn't support it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2013 BMW 650GS Sertão‎
2004 BMW 1150RT
bhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
kenny61
Crazy Idiot
 
kenny61's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Romaniacs 2019
Oddometer: 24,453
last time I missed a cal it was on my phone



































__________________
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:11 AM   #9
OkieTom
Studly Adventurer
 
OkieTom's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Eastern Oklahoma
Oddometer: 632
My Zumo 665 will display the incoming call when paired to your phone, personally I would suggest a headset but if you just want to know when you have an incoming call it will do that without one.
__________________
"If you have to ask,
You wouldn't understand"
2005 1200GS "The Big Red Pig"
OkieTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014