User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #34096
ManLee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
WR Buildup

Finally got the pic thing figured out thanks to Smug Mug so here's a report on what I've done to my WR since i picked it up last August.

Dealer Pickup

After a quick motoman style breakin and an oil change I take her for ride to pyramid pass near Greenwater WA.

Wolfman bags, racks, tankbag, GPS and Klim Jacket. Guess that makes me and adventure rider. Might as well go somewhere. Loaded up for a trip to Ellensburg WA via Naches Pass and Manashash Ridge with the return on the Umptanum portion of the WABDR.

Winter projects. First up hand warmers, gps, heated jacket, and cig lighter all wired to a relay and terminal block. Removed all the flapper gizmos to make room.

Cycra Handguards, hot grips , Montana 600 GPS and a charge port for my phone etc. The spot is the version that you use with your phone. Its a real POS. Wish I got the basic one with tracking. Maybe I'm just too dumb to figure it out.

Richochet Skid Plate and Flatland Racing rad guard. Already removed the skidplate. I couldn't stand the noise even though I sprayed it with sound deadening undercoating. I might get the plastic one from moose.

IMS 3 Gallon Tank.

Decide to make a set of liners for the wolfman bags. Got the idea from Big Dog's website. If you're interested in makeing a set go to his site and he's got the the model # and all the deminsions you need. I found it easiest to make cuts witha set of tin snips then I melted the edges smooth with a torch.

Not sure yet how useful the bag liners are but they do make it easier to hang the bags unloaded and it makes them look nice and full for photo opps.

Thought I'd do the same for the tail bag. Cut the bottom out of a rubbermaid tub and slit the sides so it will fold in a bit. Fits with room to spare on this medium bag. It might fit the small as well. This should keep any sharp objects from wearing a hole in the bottom of the bag. I might cut it down little shorter.

RK Chain, supersprox, sandman cover and rotopax installed.

All loaded and ready to go.

That pretty much somes up the last 8 months or so. Thanks to all who have posted here for all the ideas and inspiration. This is my first post here so let me know what I did wrong.
ManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #34097
NikkiC
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_day View Post
Reduced the preload to minimum on the shock (8.5in) and adjusted from there. Also adjusted the rebound and compression to full soft according to the manual. Still challenging for her to get on the bike, but once her weight is on it she can just touch her toes. I noticed that the front end feels much stiffer than the rear now. Next I will investigate softer fork springs. My wife suggested that she could also gain 30lbs to solve the problem...

She can also shop for some thick soled boots.

I am hell bent on the WR250 for her. We looked at a CRF230L, but she has a decent amount of experience riding street bikes, and is used to bikes that are much more capable. I think she would have been bored with it quickly.
Here's what I found on lowering the WR, I'm looking at the same thing and my hubby thought I was nuts but I've been doing my research! I WILL have one soon!

http://plushpuppymx.blogspot.com/201...nk-review.html

The "shortypants" thread also has lots of good info too.
NikkiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #34098
rsteiger
Bob

Oddometer: 170
WR250R GSXR Exhaust System

My WR250R GSXR exhaust system LIVES!

Had a GSXR can on my DR650 and I really like the sound and performance. The GSXR can weighs about as much as the aftermarket stuff and based on some dyno tests seems to flow better than most of the aftermarket cans on the DR.

So I had the can, got a Two Brothers midpipe, and gave it a shot. Much quieter than the DRD can I had on it and maybe as quiet as the stock pipe. I need to fab up a bracket to attach the can to the bike - I don't think that wire tie will last too long on the trail.

2001 GasGas XC250

rsteiger screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 03:24 AM
rsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #34099
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
lol what the hell was that sound?
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #34100
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
After a winter of many mods and too many hours in the garage, I finally got out for a shakedown ride today

Quick thoughts

- HDB mirrors are better than I expected
- G2 throttle tamer makes the bike a lot easier to ride
- Pro Grip 714's are comfy
Old 03-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #34101
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
lol what the hell was that sound?
Yeah - like I thought maybe a genie just popped out of the can or something.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #34102
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
no title?

Anybody lose a wrr lately? Why would a wrr not have a title? There's a WRR for sale here (Denver/Littleton) on craigslist without a title.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #34103
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
Anybody lose a wrr lately? Why would a wrr not have a title? There's a WRR for sale here (Denver/Littleton) on craigslist without a title.

LOL! Stolen, Un Paid Loan, WR250F miss listed, but my favorite is............ I traded some weed for it, and didn't get a title.
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #34104
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
Lien from the bank? Repo'd bike? Stolen?
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #34105
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Reduced the preload to minimum on the shock (8.5in) and adjusted from there. Also adjusted the rebound and compression to full soft according to the manual. Still challenging for her to get on the bike, but once her weight is on it she can just touch her toes. I noticed that the front end feels much stiffer than the rear now. Next I will investigate softer fork springs. My wife suggested that she could also gain 30lbs to solve the problem...

She can also shop for some thick soled boots.

I am hell bent on the WR250 for her. We looked at a CRF230L, but she has a decent amount of experience riding street bikes, and is used to bikes that are much more capable. I think she would have been bored with it quickly.
You are crashing into the laws of physics at a high rate of speed. Some riders just adapt to issues like this, some just can't.

The moderator on the WRR web board "shewolf" is about the same stature as your wife and has done everything possible to make the bike rideable for her. I would go there and see what she has to say, and maybe even pm her with questions. I'm sure she would be happy to help.

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/

The other option is to put her on an X model instead....... it's lower.......... but I know that isn't the easy way.

A set T-63 Michelins with a 110 on the rear will give you a little more.

KansasBob screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 06:00 PM
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #34106
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Having a short SO who is very vocal about this subject, let me warn you: You're treading on thin ice here.

You can only lower a WR so far and you may find your wife is never comfortable on it. Being the better dualsport is one thing, but if it scares her to ride it, it won't matter how well it performs off road.

You look at the crf250l?
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #34107
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 852
Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManLee View Post

Thought I'd do the same for the tail bag. Cut the bottom out of a rubbermaid tub and slit the sides so it will fold in a bit. Fits with room to spare on this medium bag. It might fit the small as well. This should keep any sharp objects from wearing a hole in the bottom of the bag. I might cut it down little shorter.

I'm liking this. I've yet to buy a rack for my WRR, but have the bag. I used a rollmat underneath it when on my KLR and had wondered how it would fit on a WRR, so thanks for sharing!

What was the rubbermaid tub you cut down? (wonder if i'll find the equivalent in Australia...)

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #34108
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
Step 1: Open beer

Step 2: Bolt on skid plate (4 bolts)

Step 3: Drink beer
Z@check I like the way you do things. It really is that simple Shep
Old 03-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #34109
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
My wife suggested that she could also gain 30lbs
You'll be a lot happier with soft springs.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #34110
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
You'll be a lot happier with soft springs.
Is replacing a spring on the shock difficult, like does it require a bunch of special tools? I may be in the same boat. Without the lowering linkage in (doing that tomorrow) I can only get about 2 & 1/2" of sag. I'm probably 5 or so threads from the top. Yamalink recommends a 10% heavier spring if you're at the top limit stock, so I'm assuming that means I'll need 10% less as I'm at the bottom (I weigh 155 pounds).
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote