Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #75106
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,131
Hey does anybody know which bike the MX-Rob FCR carb for the DR comes from? I need to order a new choke for mine because it won't stay engaged.

Thanks.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320 For Sale!
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #75107
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Hey does anybody know which bike the MX-Rob FCR carb for the DR comes from? I need to order a new choke for mine because it won't stay engaged.

Thanks.

Rob
I believe the FCR Carbs come from several bikes ... but mostly Yamaha 450 MX or some 450 Quad. I think it's a FCR 39 ? I have a WR250F with (I think) a FCR 39 on it. If not a 39 then maybe one number down? Dunno. But several bikes use the FCR's ... ask Rob, he will know more.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #75108
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
I see some new blood here, amidst the regulars, so I thought mention the DR650SE Index. There's a link in my sigline, and in the Bike Specific Index thread that's stickied at the top of the Thumpers page. It's meant to be a resource for information about our favorite dualsport- sort of a file cabinet. I'd also like to re-invite everyone who has an experience, a link or a write-up they'd like to share to please add to our knowlege. And I'd like to sincerely thank everyone who's taken the time to contribute to what we have so far.
It would be nothing without the time and effort you've put into it, and I'm most grateful. ...
So are we.

Oops, DR pic:

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 10:33 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #75109
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:

Thanks.

Rob
YFZ450 quad.

Any 39mm FCR choke should work though.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #75110
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:

Thanks.

Rob
If I recall, Robs FCR of choice is off the YFZ 450 Quad "04-09"....not the YZF MX bike.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:34 AM   #75111
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
I see some new blood here, amidst the regulars, so I thought mention the DR650SE Index. There's a link in my sigline, and in the Bike Specific Index thread that's stickied at the top of the Thumpers page. It's meant to be a resource for information about our favorite dualsport- sort of a file cabinet. I'd also like to re-invite everyone who has an experience, a link or a write-up they'd like to share to please add to our knowlege. And I'd like to sincerely thank everyone who's taken the time to contribute to what we have so far. It would be nothing without the time and effort you've put into it, and I'm most grateful ...
Speaking for myself and I'm sure for many, many others: we are very grateful for your efforts, also!

Lex
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #75112
Greaslife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Being a new blood I have reading all the topics you have posted in the bike specific thread . I have learned a lot it's much prepared thanks
Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #75113
gjcarving
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
So are we.

Oops, DR pic:

If I remember correctly from your other post and pictures of your bike, it looks like you have been busy this winter adding lots of goodies to your bike. Looks Great!
gjcarving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #75114
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,852
Quote:

Thanks.

Rob
Check with Sudco or Carburetor Parts Warehouse

http://carbparts.com/
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #75115
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Speaking for myself and I'm sure for many, many others: we are very grateful for your efforts, also!

Lex
Hi Lex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarving View Post
If I remember correctly from your other post and pictures of your bike, it looks like you have been busy this winter adding lots of goodies to your bike. Looks Great!
Thanks, all dressed up and nowhere to go.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #75116
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:

Thanks.

Rob
If your carburetor has a choke, it's not likely to be an FCR.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #75117
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #75118
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
If your carburetor has a choke, it's not likely to be an FCR.

Regards,

Derek
I disagree with a lot you have to say, but I kept my mouth shut, but this tops it. Do you really dyno bikes? Have you ever tuned a bike with an FCR on it?
Just about every bike I have ever been around with an FCR had a choke on it. My stock WR had a choke on it, and my DR with an FCR has a choke on it.

Added: I am sure you are going to chime in about the technical difference between a choke and an enricher circuit, but for the average person they are they same in the way they work to warm a cold bike up.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #75119
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,131
I looked up the price of a choke for the FCR in my Outlaw 525 and it was $100!!! So if that's the case off of all the variations of the FCR, maybe I can find another bike or something where I can get the thing cheaper. Otherwise I'll just keep dealing with it as it is. It's a mild annoyance is all.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320 For Sale!
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #75120
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Stock Vacuum Petcock in the Acerbis 5.3

Using the stock vacuum petcock with the Acerbis isn't a 'bolt and go' option.

Stock Acerbis.

I suggest changing the order that I did this project. File the flat first, if you loose interest or decide this is too much trouble, you can still use the Acerbis petcock. Once the hole is ovaled, there's no goin' back.

If your tank has a raised boss on the surface like the Acerbis 5.3, you'll need to file it flat or the rectangular o-ring on the stock petcock won't seal. The o-ring isn't very 'fat' and won't seal over the four red circles shown below. You want to be real careful here, since the o-ring is so thin, if you nick the surface with a power tool, it won't seal.

I used a hand file, it took forever and I'm happy with the result. File til my fingers hurt, watch TV, file til my fingers hurt, watch TV................................................ .. I used single file strokes, making sure the file was flat to the surface every stroke.

Petcock hole elongated for the double tube stocker. Once you commit to this point, the Acerbis petcock o-ring won't seal anymore.

Stock petcock on the left, Acerbis on the right.

Where it's going to leak.

Original debris inside new tank doesn't matter since the filing to fit added more (And why you want to rinse out your new tank before you use it). A benefit to the neutral color; it was easy to see inside the tank, all surfaces. I used hot faucet water to rinse the tank, shook it up good and drained it, three times. To get the remaining droplets out, I rubber banded a paper towel to a dowel. The neutral color made the drops sparkle, easy to blot up.

Another difference, the stock petcock is 1" taller than the Acerbis. This might be a problem since the uphill loop is now 1" higher. Note: ignore the vacuum port, which is less than 1" (a bit misleading in the photo).

The uphill loop and potential vacuum lock. When the fuel level gets low, there isn't enough head pressure to overcome the air bubble in the loop. This means the bike quits running even though you can still see gas in the tank. It's a common problem on both the IMS and Safari aftermarket tanks, some work, some don't. I haven't heard anything on the Acerbis yet.

And: the vacuum petcock is thicker where it screws to the tank. I don't like the idea that there aren't threaded metal inserts in the tank, the mounting screws thread into the plastic. My point is, now the provided 2 screws are too short for a good secure bite in the plastic. OCD, maybe. The provided screws are 3/4", I bought a pair 1" long (size 12x1 SAE stainless is just a bit larger O.D. [.17mm] than the 5mm that were supplied).

Before:

Reason, low profile front tire:

After:

Quote:

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 03:15 PM