Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #121
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Yeah, so that's the problem I originally set out to address.

It's always like this when it comes forum split time: guys who are active on the big forums are the ones who can handle the volume & like the variety, and they're here to weigh in.

Right and those active in the big threads feel that we're doing you a favor by keeping it all under one heading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis357 View Post
Exactly - the folks who are really active have no problems finding info as they invest the time and have seen all the content as the discussions grow.

I prefer content relevant to one bike to be in one place. Remember how a library used to work? You don't chop up a book and scatter it around the room, you keep it between the cover.

I'd actually condense the place a little more instead of spreading it out, but then I like to read the old RD condensed books.

A split along a 600cc mark makes no sense at all, what is this...1987?

Racing is clearly divided between 250, 450 and open class.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #122
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 704
Is it possible to add categories to the display options at the bottom of the forum page?

For example:

-how about an option to filter out all threads over 50 pages to use an earlier suggestion
-only show Honda related threads
-only show tire threads
...................etc.

You would need the thread originator to select the key words when submitting the head post. Don't let anyone submit a head post that didn't have at least one keyword, and just add in a general option for those that don't fit the given categories.

If folks don't change the display option, then they get Thumpers as we've come to know it. But if someone wants to filter on the content of the threads, then they would be able to do so.

I know, too many changes under the hood..........................right?

I must say that I'm not in favor of splitting just because many new users don't know how to use Google's advanced search feature. Which is why I suggested the FAQ link in the search box. I'm also not fond of how TT is setup and would prefer we don't go that route.

Splitting based upon usage/purpose does make some sense to me. But I like comparing the WR250R to the DR650 to any KTMs etc. So I don't see the displacement hard limits as being useful. But the dirty vs far vs prehistoric has merit.

What is a single cylinder adventure bike? Well, in my opinion its something that looks a lot like the hodgepodge we've already got here
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #123
zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Split it up
zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #124
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaskar View Post
Split it up
Agreed but how . . . made me think of this . . .

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 2014 Triumph Scrambler ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 2013 Yamaha WR250R ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 1983 Yamaha XT250 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Red Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #125
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
-how about an option to filter out all threads over 50 pages to use an earlier suggestion
Search can do that now. Don't enter anything in the search field and set replies to "At most" and whatever number of replies (1250 for 50 pages.)
All threads under 50 pages show up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
You would need the thread originator to select the key words when submitting the head post. Don't let anyone submit a head post that didn't have at least one keyword, and just add in a general option for those that don't fit the given categories.
In an ideal world, that would be the title.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #126
Echo1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
I think Baldy is right about setting up thumper subforums for at least for the four Japanese, BMW/KTM/Euro brands, and also keep the general discussion. It seems like virtually all the big/mega threads are Brand/Model specific anyway and these threads eventually contain so many different topics they get way too convoluted. The subforums would provide the opportunity for more brand/bike thread topics, which should reduce mega/convoluted threads.

The general discussion thread could still be the place for most of the good stuff like "What bike should I get", bike comparisons/discussions, and anything not specific to one brand/model.
Echo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #127
Echo1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post
Agreed but how . . . made me think of this . . .

Good one. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is a classic!
Echo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #128
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by rch10007 View Post
If there's a poll somewhere, I would think the split into 3 groups makes the most sense.

Small Thumpers
Big Thumpers
Smokers
I like this concept. Culling the two-strokes into their own sub-forum is a no brainer. I think the line between "Small" and "Big" should be 500cc.

The idea of Euro Singles and Asian Singles has merit also, and might be the simplest to implement.

I don't see the value of separating out the "megathreads" .

Another concept I'd throw out there would be to have a sub-forum for street legal singles and another for dirt only, realizing there would be some overlap on some models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rch10007 View Post
If the main forums were split into categories instead of bikes, I think that would be better:

Instead of a Bikes Section separated by types, have the Section split up by Engines, Suspension, Electrical, etc and THEN have the bikes section as a subforum from those so when folks are wanting specific info like fork swaps for a DR650, the search results from that section would be nothing but suspension related thread as opposed to a search now from a MegaThread that shows a damn post everytime someone mentions the search term and may or may not a valid return.

OR, vise versa...split the bikes section further into engines, electrical, etc...
That was my thinking when I laid the groundwork for the DR650SE Index [see the link in my sigline], and I continue to encourage the participation of everyone who wants to contribute and share their input.
But to create that many subforums and to sort and move the existing treads in all of Thumpers into them sounds like a daunting task to me.

However it's done, I hope we'll still see a model specific index thread stickied to the top as we have now ...
Old 03-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #129
djvx
Ride Safe!

Oddometer: 161
Mega Thumpers 500cc+
Thumpers 500cc-
2 Smokers

Im in Thumpers 95% of the time, hope the change isn't too sucky.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #130
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,181
I liked the idea of a split by displacement vs. mfr'r....but after thinking how I've used the Thumper forum over the years -- it's been split between dualsported dirtbikes and factory plated dualsports.

I think a split along those lines could have some value, as people shopping for a factory plated dualsport will be comparing like machines across different sizes and brands to see what might be the best fit.
WR250R vs. TE 310 and so forth.

There are also a fair number of folks dualsporting XR's and the like, who have a different set of features they'll be looking for a in a subforum.

That is a much smaller group though, and a "plate your own" subforum could stand alone.
The factory plated dualsports could be divided between the F650GS/640 Adventure/TR650 Terra type bikes that are more RTW and long sojourn oriented, and the 500EXC/TE449 'plated dirtbike' ones.

So now I'm just more confused
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #131
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Hahaha. So it seems one thing I haven't heard any dissent about is a smoker section. Should we get on with that and see how it goes while we debate the rest?

Details: Is it a subforum under Thumpers or a forum at the same level of Thumpers? In other words, is a ring-a-ding a thumper? And if not, why would people be able to find it under the Thumper banner?

And what should we name it?

Change Thumper to Single Cylinder then sub forums of Big Thump, Small Thump and Ring -a -ding -ding twist the throttle and listen to that bitch sing

On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...

kenny61 screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 10:41 PM
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #132
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo1 View Post
I think Baldy is right about setting up thumper subforums for at least for the four Japanese, BMW/KTM/Euro brands, and also keep the general discussion. It seems like virtually all the big/mega threads are Brand/Model specific anyway and these threads eventually contain so many different topics they get way too convoluted. The subforums would provide the opportunity for more brand/bike thread topics, which should reduce mega/convoluted threads.

The general discussion thread could still be the place for most of the good stuff like "What bike should I get", bike comparisons/discussions, and anything not specific to one brand/model.
I doubt many would check the "general discussion forum" anymore. Everyone would just go straight to their small subforums and never bother checking the general discussions. That is my fear, Thumpers now is very open, informative and FUN.

kyns screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 12:07 AM
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #133
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,455
Color coordinate it

Orange at the top and all the other colors to the bottom !!!!

J/K i vote Euro / Asian
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:43 AM   #134
NOroad
n00b

Oddometer: 5
500+
500-
Zweitakt
NOroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 AM   #135
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 653
change happens

Go ahead and change it to whatever you like Baldy

A year from now we won't be whinging about it, because we'll have grown to love it and newcomers won't know any different.....
Suzuki SV1000 - My road monster
KTM 640 LC4E - Adventure bike (project)
Young-Gun is online now   Reply With Quote