Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #196
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
That guy was Fred Tausch. I think his bike had 600,000 miles on it when he died. I had quite a few conversations with Fred at the New England rallies we attended. He was a brilliant man and our coversations often drew a crowd.
Fred Tausch. Thanks, that was the guy.

Enjoyed a lively and informative chat with him.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #197
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Met a guy while manning Airhead Central at the Trenton BMW National back in '02 who was famous for never having washed his R60/5 after 600+k miles, or some rediculous figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
That guy was Fred Tausch. I think his bike had 600,000 miles on it when he died. I had quite a few conversations with Fred at the New England rallies we attended. He was a brilliant man and our coversations often drew a crowd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Fred Tausch. Thanks, that was the guy.

Enjoyed a lively and informative chat with him.

Ah, I missed this first time around. I remember hearing about Fred before. He was legendary.

In a way, I'm the same. I wash my bike "once a year, whether it needs it or not", and sometimes let it go longer. Especially if there is a non-BMW event I'm going to. I like to leave the bike a bit grubby just to thumb my nose at the Harley-Chrome Crowd.

Gads, I am living up to my User Title...

--Bill
Old 03-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #198
Tin Woodman OP
Mike

Oddometer: 194
Just read Fred's eulogy by Jeff Stein. Fred was quite a cool guy it seems - personified the spirit of this forum. Very inspirational.

And he rode an R60/5!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #199
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Woodman View Post
Just read Fred's eulogy by Jeff Stein. Fred was quite a cool guy it seems - personified the spirit of this forum. Very inspirational.

And he rode an R60/5!
Link.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #200
Tin Woodman OP
Mike

Fred Tausch eulogy

From 2005 -

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69044
Old 03-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #201
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,019
I just read the eulogy. I'm only eight years late! The man exuded geniality.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #202
Tin Woodman OP
Mike

Houseoffubar is right

I'm still waiting for a couple of parts as I button up the engine. Doubt continues to creep into past repairs as I contemplate reinstalling the transmission. The PO cross-threaded the drain plug but there were still a few good threads - I was never really convinced of its long term viability, however. Houseoffubar's strongly worded condemnation on Tete's thread struck a responsive chord -

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=872845&page=2

This is what mine looks like -

I don't want to leave a ticking time bomb for the next owner. I agree with Houseoffubar and Plaka in that I should install a helicoil (or, I suppose, a Time Sert) with the drain hole down, flush with solvent, etc. Can you continue the explanation with more detail? Or should I simply have it done by a shop? I'm just concerned they will introduce debris into the tranny.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #203
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,019
Heli-Coil it now (or insert your favorite thread repair instead). If you're careful you can do it without pulling the gearbox apart.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #204
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,630
I would run a roll tap through it and see how it holds up a dozen or so times before it is installed. I might hold up just fine. First things first IMO. For a insert to really work right, you really need a different drain bolt with a wider head for a wider crush washer from there on out.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #205
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,586
Quote:
I'm still waiting for a couple of parts as I button up the engine. Doubt continues to creep into past repairs as I contemplate reinstalling the transmission. The PO cross-threaded the drain plug but there were still a few good threads - I was never really convinced of its long term viability, however. Houseoffubar's strongly worded condemnation on Tete's thread struck a responsive chord -

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=872845&page=2

This is what mine looks like -

I don't want to leave a ticking time bomb for the next owner. I agree with Houseoffubar and Plaka in that I should install a helicoil (or, I suppose, a Time Sert) with the drain hole down, flush with solvent, etc. Can you continue the explanation with more detail? Or should I simply have it done by a shop? I'm just concerned they will introduce debris into the tranny.
One game you can play if you have threads left is to fix it with pipe fittings.

Get the shortest 1/4 Pipe (1/4 NPT) brass nipple , a 1/4NPT brass coupler and a 1/4NPT brass plug. clean the nipple, the coupling and the hole in the tranny with brake cleaner spray. must be utterly clean. Put an LOT of red stud locker on the nipple and screw it into the hole and immediately put some red stud locker on the coupling and screw that onto the nipple. Let set up 24 hrs.

Drill a small hole through the brass plug where you put a wrench on it. This is for safety wire.

Now you can use the plug in the coupling as a drain. It's a taper thread so no gasket is needed. Safety wire it.

This will hurt the threads in the tranny slightly. Consider it a one way. It can be removed with heat but then you must do a thread repair.

You can screw a 1/4NPT nipple into good threads fully, I just did it by hand, it's a bit loose, thus the studlocker.

I can't explain doing a helicoil "hot" more than I have. I did a pair of posts on it. I'm pretty conservative thus working into fluid flow vs. drilling dry or with grease and trusting later flushing to remove the least possible chip.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #206
Lornce
Lost In Place

Have to agree with SS on this one. Run the correct tap through it first and see what kind of threads you end up with. Might be good enough to keep the plug sealed just fine.

Plaka's idea might be useful if you had a bullet hole in the bottom of your transmission...

Old 03-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #207
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Have to agree with SS on this one. Run the correct tap through it first and see what kind of threads you end up with. Might be good enough to keep the plug sealed just fine.

Plaka's idea might be useful if you had a bullet hole in the bottom of your transmission...

Actually the pitch is very close, the NPT is just a taper. I was screwing around with my oil pressure sender, same thread and a 1/4NPT will screw in the hole reasonably with some sealant/retaining compound. (I ended up making a custom fitting with the correct thread only to find I could have bought one cheap) Just don't tighten it so much you disturb the thread form in the aluminum.

This is a solid-will-last-forever kind of patch. Restore it to original when the tranny is in for other work.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #208
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,630
Quote:

An important part of my advise is using a roll tap, not a cutting tap. Good machine shop supply stores around here have them in stock.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #209
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
I'm still waiting for a couple of parts /snip
Stole this from Snowbum:

"NOTE: Rear drive drain plugs and crush washers are available in oversizes. The oversize 16 x 20 washer is 07-11-9-963-259; and the oversize plug is 11-13-0-007-162."

Guess what?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #210
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,772
Essentially doing a Heli Coil or other thread repair is two parts. First you drill the striped threads out with the correct oversize drill bit so the hole will be the needed size. Second the hole is threaded to accept the thread repair insert so the resultant threads are the original size. All this drilling and threading produces chips and debris that we don't want to be left in the transmission. The way to prevent the Aluminum debris form being left behind is to put heavy grease on the drill bit and the threading tap so the grease will catch the Aluminum bits. The bit or tap is used part way and cleaned off then more grease applied and used further.

The drain plug on a /5 four speed transmission is M14 x 1.5 Be careful when you buy the tools and parts for this because there is another thread often used that is different. It is m14 x 1.25 The one you want is M14 x 1.5

There are many brands of Heli Coil type repairs these days Some of these are a little cheaper and may come with the needed drill bit. If you buy the original Heli Coil brand the kit will not come with the drill bit. Get that extra. (this is what i usually do, I prefer the Heli Coil brand)

There are also other types of repairs. Some are called "Time Sert" or "Big Sert" These are also thread repairs and may have advantages sometimes but they are also extra work and not needed for this repair. Get the Heli Coil Kit for an M14 x 1.5 repair.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote