Old 03-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #76
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
and I like lazy motors.

Buell ulysses xt is the answer Mark.

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Ducatijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #77
Underground
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
140/80 Mark
I'd like one of the older model VFR750's for a road bike they go for ever and you can pick up a mint one for real cheap.....but then I have a thing for old Hondas
Dommie by sea http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843646
Underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:43 AM   #78
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,644
Humble pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegs View Post
620 Multistrada - does everything you want to do and even fits the price range though not quite the 2007 deadline. But I am biased.

(Apologies if already mentioned)
I don't think they've been mentioned but aren't they pretty rare in NZ?. A 1000S (flash suspension) Multistrada sold for $6200-$6300 in Kapiti a week or two ago. Problem was it had 45k km and was a bit tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
The old tigers are cool but as you say are overpriced - May reflect the owners age- needing to cash in their investments for retirement
Triumph triples certainly hold their value - certainly any low km ones seems to be outside my budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart-nz View Post
Belt drive on gravel
I heard somewhere that's not a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Big Dave went on the XB12??? ride in Oz and it was on a lot of gravel and dirt and no blet problems on any of the bikes.
For the small amount of gravel I'm envisioning I don't think it would be a problem. Buell's are not an option simply because they are orphans

Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
I spose you gonna claim it was an Australian who split the atom.

Pretty sure my next bike will be a road bike, probarbly regret it but, meh.

Quite like the big gsx1400 type naked ones.

Marks, what about a Bonnie?
I like recent triumph twins but good low k ones are at the top of my budget and they have horrible rear suspension stock (well the scrambler I rode did) and need prolly a grand or so spent sorting the suspension out.

There is certainly strong appeal to the big UJM's - honest what you see is what you get bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatijim View Post
Buell ulysses xt is the answer Mark.

once upon a time it would have been. I've always wanted to try one but its irrelevant now as I'd never buy an orphan unless it was a real bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground View Post
140/80 Mark
I'd like one of the older model VFR750's for a road bike they go for ever and you can pick up a mint one for real cheap.....but then I have a thing for old Hondas
Thanks for the tire size - I'll order one for the klr (130/80). I rode that neat road between Mangaweka and Kimbolton today that I chased you on a year or two ago and the bald E09 would randomly walk sideways at the worst possible moments scaring the crap out of me - no more rides on that tire....

I think a v-four is the ultimate engine configuration - from a sound point of view - never ridden one. I'd really like to own a sport tourer but the reality is my back and knees would complain and would limit my riding too much.

I rode around 750km today on the klr and the upright seating position is what made it possible and fun.

I rode 2 bandits - 1 in Hastings and 1 in Napier - both from dealers. The hastings bike was an 07 with 30k km for $6.5k but had stuffed tires and quite bad alloy corrosion in odd places - like something corrosive had got on it. The other one is and 08 with 15k km for $8.5 and was like new.

I was really impressed by the motor - super smooth and will pull from 2000 quite happily in 6th. Runs out of puff about 8000rpm but its such a nice engine to use it doesn't matter - powerful without being crazy fast. Handling was fine and I really enjoyed riding both bikes. I'll mull it over tomorrow but we may have a winner.

The nicer bike was at Procycles in Napier and I walked into the dealership and saw a big row of Harley's and Triumphs and looked at the guys both with long hair and beards etc and thought - here we go - fecking harley guys. I was completely wrong - they were really nice guys and seemed really straight forward to deal with.

The shop owner offered to show me some good roads to try the bandit out on - which was very decent of him - feck his vrod was LOUD and he didn't hang around either.

On the way home from Napier I went over to Taihape and then down to Mangaweka. The road from Mangaweka to Kimbolton is the best road in the world - no question. From kimbolton I went north to Apiti then followed the Pohangina Valley East road down to Ashurst - this is the second best road in the world. Awesome awesome riding - what a buzz.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #79
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,414
The bandits not a bad choice Mark, talk to Hitcher (on KB) about his experience with one, he's in our age / riding demographic, worth listening too and not far from you. Bandits are a bit slack in suspension but emulators and a decent rear shock will help a lot, the stock gear is rooted by 20kms. You may have to look at the seat as well, suzuki have never done a decent seat IMHO.

Good luck with the purchasing.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #80
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,604
Nice work, theres nothing like the thought of a new (to you) bike to put a smile on ya dial . Will have to check out those roads some time. Route 52 from (Herbertville to Masterton) is another cracker.

Did a small amount of gravel yesterday and man was it thick on top! made keeping in a straight line interesting and as for my now slick K60 rear, eek !
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #81
stegs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
[QUOTE=Mark_S;20959469]I don't think they've been mentioned but aren't they pretty rare in NZ?. A 1000S (flash suspension) Multistrada sold for $6200-$6300 in Kapiti a week or two ago. Problem was it had 45k km and was a bit tired.

I have done around 150k between 2 620s-- about 110 on the first and around 40 (obviously) on the current.

Only bike problem has been a dodgy dash on the first at about 25000. Replaced under warranty. I would still have the first one if I hadn't kept throwing it down the road.
stegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:48 AM   #82
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
I spose you gonna claim it was an Australian who split the atom.
Nah, it was an Aussie that split the pav, remember?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #83
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
Nah, it was an Aussie that split the pav, remember?
Aussies are too greedy. They'd keep it all for themselves.

bart-nz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #84
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer: 290
Don't worry bout the imagined 'orphan' status....their following worldwide is immense( hence the prices) and there are so many aftermarket parts being offered.
Everywhere both here and all round the US, I was welcomed at any HD dealer and never have had issues with their supply of parts.
When they dry up, other suppliers will take over I am expecting.

V good bikes for relaxed adventuring.

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Ducatijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #85
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,644
update

Since I hurt my back about 6-8 weeks ago I have had to largely steer clear of the trail and trials bikes and have been using the klr quite a bit - at least 3000km or so and I've discovered that despite my initial waffle I'm not really over adventure bikes.

On just about every ride I ended up exploring some dirt roads and on Saturday ended up popping through the 42nd on my way to Taumarnaui and on Sunday ended up exploring a really neat trail that I found on my way down to have a cup of tea at the Whanga pub.

So even though I really liked the Bandit a pure road bike isnt an option.

So in the 7-10k price range that leaves the following as yet unridden contenders:

tdm900
tiger 955
transalp 700

or

another KLR

There are a few relatively low cost mods I can do to the klr to improve the power and braking of my existing bike so I might do those and see how it goes while I wait for local versions of the above 3 bikes to appear on tardme. It is quite possible though that I may simply end up buying another low km klr - that would be my third - I may have a problem...

Tire question:
This weekend I put a 1000k or so on the new shinko 705 rear and was very happy with it. The front mt21 is now stuffed - I could just whack on a Shinko ($107) on the front or I could put on a flash radial like an Anakee 2 ($160)?

can you mix radials and cross-plys on a motorbike?
Is the anakee or something similar going to offer an advantage on a low powered bike like the klr? The thing I most hate on the road is losing the front so I'm happy to spend the extra if there if a benefit.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #86
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,112
Dunno about on a KLR, but on the TT and DR I don't get any front end push or washing out with the 705 front.

Did with the Shinko 244 front...
Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #87
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Sounds like the dilemma I'm having...
Thought I wanted a 100% road bike... more I think about it..
Like the idea of a good touring bike that can wander down gravel roads
like Molesworth / Dansys pass etc..
most lightly going to be a Honda NC700 "this week"
The specs between the "S" & "X" versions is almost the same
Other than the "X" being 40mm taller seat & 25mm more ground clearance
over the "S" road version... prob the "S" with a set of 705s would be just
as good on gravel...

NC700X ===> http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_nc700x_2012.php

NC700S ===> http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_nc700s_2012.php

just need a buyer for the XR250... don't need 3 bikes to reg....

Pete-NZ screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 10:38 PM
Pete-NZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #88
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Since I hurt my back about 6-8 weeks ago I have had to largely steer clear of the trail and trials bikes and have been using the klr quite a bit - at least 3000km or so and I've discovered that despite my initial waffle I'm not really over adventure bikes.

On just about every ride I ended up exploring some dirt roads and on Saturday ended up popping through the 42nd on my way to Taumarnaui and on Sunday ended up exploring a really neat trail that I found on my way down to have a cup of tea at the Whanga pub.

So in the 7-10k price range that leaves the following as yet unridden contenders:

tdm900
tiger 955
transalp 700

or

another KLR

There are a few relatively low cost mods I can do to the klr to improve the power and braking of my existing bike so I might do those and see how it goes while I wait for local versions of the above 3 bikes to appear on tardme. It is quite possible though that I may simply end up buying another low km klr - that would be my third - I may have a problem...

Tire question:
This weekend I put a 1000k or so on the new shinko 705 rear and was very happy with it. The front mt21 is now stuffed - I could just whack on a Shinko ($107) on the front or I could put on a flash radial like an Anakee 2 ($160)?

can you mix radials and cross-plys on a motorbike?
Is the anakee or something similar going to offer an advantage on a low powered bike like the klr? The thing I most hate on the road is losing the front so I'm happy to spend the extra if there if a benefit.
Must be something in the air, hours searching trade me and a KLR is all I can come up with too (no imagination or what?), but the mods I have done recently on mine have changed the bike a lot. Big front rotor means it now stops and the rejet and advancing the exhaust cam has made the motor come alive, and I can still dump it in a rocky creek a couple of times and ride home with no damage.
So road bike= Naaaaaa.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #89
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Mark S in a candy store............

"Ummmm, I think i,ll have two all day gob stoppers, nah, actually make that a packet of jet planes and, no, I reckon snakes with some eskimo's, then again three lollipops for twenty cents............."

At this point the shop keeper kicks him fair up the arse.

No children were harmed in this episode
Old 03-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #90
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
trade me search only thing is a tiger....expand the years abit and it becomes a bit more interesting ktm 990,few more tigers..