Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #91
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
"Ummmm, I think i,ll have two all day gob stoppers, nah, actually make that a packet of jet planes and, no, I reckon snakes with some eskimo's, then again three lollipops for twenty cents............."

At this point the shop keeper kicks him fair up the arse.

No children were harmed in this episode
Padmei, are you using TriBoy's login again?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #92
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Padmei, are you using TriBoy's login again?
tehehe

I saw this this morning & for some reason thought it looked great. I can't explain why but te front fairing looked so good.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-575638746.htm

I saw one of those honda NC700s the other day. A bit unsual - some might say provocative?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:54 AM   #93
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-NZ View Post
Sounds like the dilemma I'm having...
Thought I wanted a 100% road bike... more I think about it..
Like the idea of a good touring bike that can wander down gravel roads
like Molesworth / Dansys pass etc..
most lightly going to be a Honda NC700 "this week"
The specs between the "S" & "X" versions is almost the same
Other than the "X" being 40mm taller seat & 25mm more ground clearance
over the "S" road version... prob the "S" with a set of 705s would be just
as good on gravel...

NC700X ===> http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_nc700x_2012.php

NC700S ===> http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_nc700s_2012.php

just need a buyer for the XR250... don't need 3 bikes to reg....

if you get to ride a 700 let me know what you think
I'm glad I'm not the only one with these difficult problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Must be something in the air, hours searching trade me and a KLR is all I can come up with too (no imagination or what?), but the mods I have done recently on mine have changed the bike a lot. Big front rotor means it now stops and the rejet and advancing the exhaust cam has made the motor come alive, and I can still dump it in a rocky creek a couple of times and ride home with no damage.
So road bike= Naaaaaa.
great minds think alike huh

or is it fools seldom differ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
"Ummmm, I think i,ll have two all day gob stoppers, nah, actually make that a packet of jet planes and, no, I reckon snakes with some eskimo's, then again three lollipops for twenty cents............."

At this point the shop keeper kicks him fair up the arse.

No children were harmed in this episode
well I suppose that was entirely called for...

you are still a complete prick though
Old 03-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #94
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
On just about every ride I ended up exploring some dirt roads
You don't need an adventure bike for dirt roads. All-rounders (that is, anything but a big-mutha tourer or a hyper-sprotsbike) are fine on dirt roads. At the time I had both the Trophy and the Tiger, I did more dirt on the Trophy, usually two-up with camping gear, than I did on the Tiger. That was purely because when we were touring I never let a dirt road put me off going to interesting places. It was fine, easily do the speed limit on a good dirt road. A naked would be better than a fully-faired in that regard, if only for the extra ground clearance. The belly-pan of the Trophy copped a few whacks on rock ledges and kerbs etc.

Yes, narrow 21" fronts are better, but they are not mandatory.

Quote:
another KLR

There are a few relatively low cost mods I can do to the klr to improve the power and braking of my existing bike so I might do those and see how it goes
At the risk of sounding boring, you can port those to a newer KLR for next to no cost when the time comes, too.

Quote:
can you mix radials and cross-plys on a motorbike?
Is the anakee or something similar going to offer an advantage on a low powered bike like the klr? The thing I most hate on the road is losing the front so I'm happy to spend the extra if there if a benefit.
You are not supposed to, but adventurers mix'n'match their tyres so much I don't think anyone would particularly notice.

Road riders often put a stickier tyre on the front (and indeed, within the same model, tyre manufacturers now do this) which means the back is going to let go first, causing a high-side. It also tends to dismiss the idea that you need rear traction to balance the bike and get you through any given turn.

Adventure riders often put a stickier tyre (for tarmac, that is, closer-pattern tread) on the rear which means the bike front-end steers better in the dirt and gets better mileage from the rear. This means on-road the front is going to let go first, causing a low-side. This also tends to dismiss the effects of rear-wheel steering, which I have learnt is very worthwhile off-tarmac.

Which would you rather have: high-side or low-side, hmmm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #95
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Dunno about on a KLR, but on the TT and DR I don't get any front end push or washing out with the 705 front.

Did with the Shinko 244 front...
Thanks Nordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
trade me search only thing is a tiger....expand the years abit and it becomes a bit more interesting ktm 990,few more tigers..
oooh theres a 955 tiger in Wellywood - I might see if I can have a look tonight seeing as I'm in town today. There is also a tidy tiger in Taupo I might have a look at. And there are also some transalps at the honda dealer in Pamly so thats nice and close too.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
You don't need an adventure bike for dirt roads. All-rounders (that is, anything but a big-mutha tourer or a hyper-sprotsbike) are fine on dirt roads. At the time I had both the Trophy and the Tiger, I did more dirt on the Trophy, usually two-up with camping gear, than I did on the Tiger. That was purely because when we were touring I never let a dirt road put me off going to interesting places. It was fine, easily do the speed limit on a good dirt road. A naked would be better than a fully-faired in that regard, if only for the extra ground clearance. The belly-pan of the Trophy copped a few whacks on rock ledges and kerbs etc.

Yes, narrow 21" fronts are better, but they are not mandatory.

At the risk of sounding boring, you can port those to a newer KLR for next to no cost when the time comes, too.

You are not supposed to, but adventurers mix'n'match their tyres so much I don't think anyone would particularly notice.

Road riders often put a stickier tyre on the front (and indeed, within the same model, tyre manufacturers now do this) which means the back is going to let go first, causing a high-side. It also tends to dismiss the idea that you need rear traction to balance the bike and get you through any given turn.

Adventure riders often put a stickier tyre (for tarmac, that is, closer-pattern tread) on the rear which means the bike front-end steers better in the dirt and gets better mileage from the rear. This means on-road the front is going to let go first, causing a low-side. This also tends to dismiss the effects of rear-wheel steering, which I have learnt is very worthwhile off-tarmac.

Which would you rather have: high-side or low-side, hmmm?
While I'm sure a big stable road bike is fine on smooth dirt, in hindsight (and contrary to my earlier waffle), I really want to retain the capability of going through places like the 42nd traverse or big river.

It seems that what is optimal for dirt (knobby front and milder rear) is the opposite of what you want on the seal.

I actually haven't found the cornering limits of the mt21 on the seal but heavy braking really destroys the knobs - the current tire has actually started ripping chunks off the back off the knobs. I should have done what Nordie suggested and rotated it half way through its life.

Actually what I really fancy right now is a strop over Takaka hill and a cruise up to cobb dam and then around to anatori. Might come down after easter if I can swing it - would any of you Nelson sods be interested?.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #96
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Actually what I really fancy right now is a strop over Takaka hill and a cruise up to cobb dam and then around to anatori. Might come down after easter if I can swing it - would any of you Nelson sods be interested?.
Yes...

Been wanting to get out to Anatori to the sand dunes...
Old 03-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #97
Manakau.KTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Hi Mark

Your problem with choice probably reflects the constant compromise that we all are faced with. When I'm on the tarseal with the KTM, I would rather be on the Guzzi and when I hit gravel on the Guzzi I think of the KTM. Surprisingly the old seventies bikes with their narrow tyres handle gravel ok. Clip ons aren't helpful though.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and may join you down South if work doesn't get in the way.

Cheers

Wayne
Manakau.KTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #98
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Current forecast is for rain from Sunday through next Thursday.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #99
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 802
Quote:

Yes this sod is, got some nice smooth tyres I wanna try out on the takaka hill (over knobblies) and have never been to anatori.

If your back wasn't so fcuked we could take you on one of those stupid NADS rides, but only as a prospect at this stage so don't get your hopes up.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #100
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Aorere Goldfields is (almost on the way)...
Old 03-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #101
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,333
i wouldn't mind doing Anatori again - it's a cool ride across all the causeways.

I may trailer trash with some some other mates with small dirtbikes & maybe see yous there.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #102
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
if you get to ride a 700 let me know what you think
I had a sit on a 700X recently, it was quite comfortable but the tank/storage was quite wide above the knees so I'm not sure how it would be to stand up.

They did look look nice as a gravel road bike.

Would it be concerning that really you are riding a dressed up scooter?

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:01 AM   #103
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
What you got against scooters? I used to ride Mandy's Gilera Runner to the Kiwi. Passed a lot of bigger bikes in the Gravel going into the site...

MarkS, I was becoming concerned for a bit there that you would limit yourself away from the 42nd & other gems by focussing in on a road bike. Don't think a Bandit would be comfortable mid 42nd or Big River. Good to see things swinging back to ADV bikes

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:22 AM   #104
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,300
Quote:
It seems that what is optimal for dirt (knobby front and milder rear) is the opposite of what you want on the seal.
I'm suggesting that it's not, because on the seal you want the front to let go first to low-side. And knobblies tend to let go slowly and recoverably - much more so than full street tyres.

Quote:
Would love to join you but can't for a good few weekends.

I'm currently on a lap of the mainland, started Friday week ago with a ride to the Mussel Inn and back. Rest of the trip has been mostly driving the van & trailer. I get back on Thursday arvo and then Friday morning head off on the bike to the annual trip to Sandhills Creek (next one north of the Anatori) for the Easter caving camp. Always up for more riding out there though! I could be persuaded to be the support wagon for an overnight at Trilobite Hut (on the Cobb Reservoir) because I've wanted to take my boy out there for ages.

The weekend after Easter is a club trail ride, which I am using to dial in the EXC's suspension - picked up the re-valved forks from DAS Moto today, with quite a list of instructions to get the chassis sorted. The weekend after is Rnd 1 of the cross-country series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #105
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Yes...

Been wanting to get out to Anatori to the sand dunes...
sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manakau.KTM View Post
Hi Mark

Your problem with choice probably reflects the constant compromise that we all are faced with. When I'm on the tarseal with the KTM, I would rather be on the Guzzi and when I hit gravel on the Guzzi I think of the KTM. Surprisingly the old seventies bikes with their narrow tyres handle gravel ok. Clip ons aren't helpful though.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and may join you down South if work doesn't get in the way.

Cheers

Wayne
would be great if you could join me Wayne - what would you bring? - the rockn'rolla or the paint shaker?

I haven't mentioned any of this to her indoors yet but I was vaguely thinking of a 4 day weekend - allowing 2 travel days and 2 fun days.

Quote:
Current forecast is for rain from Sunday through next Thursday.
I'll keep an eye on the forecast - I don't do rain unless there is no other alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Yes this sod is, got some nice smooth tyres I wanna try out on the takaka hill (over knobblies) and have never been to anatori.

If your back wasn't so fcuked we could take you on one of those stupid NADS rides, but only as a prospect at this stage so don't get your hopes up.
Going on a 'test back' trail ride on Friday. It would probably be ok if I didnt keep falling off all the time....

Anatori is a sweet ride

Quote:
Aorere Goldfields is (almost on the way)...
I think I'd need an mt21 front for that - I seem to recall some slippery clay downhills where I was merely the passenger last time...
(and James using his big to jump start a van...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
i wouldn't mind doing Anatori again - it's a cool ride across all the causeways.

I may trailer trash with some some other mates with small dirtbikes & maybe see yous there.
Those causeways are really awesome to ride across - best part of that ride I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
I had a sit on a 700X recently, it was quite comfortable but the tank/storage was quite wide above the knees so I'm not sure how it would be to stand up.

They did look look nice as a gravel road bike.

I'm secure in my manhood - if I can ride a klr in public I can ride a scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
What you got against scooters? I used to ride Mandy's Gilera Runner to the Kiwi. Passed a lot of bigger bikes in the Gravel going into the site...

MarkS, I was becoming concerned for a bit there that you would limit yourself away from the 42nd & other gems by focussing in on a road bike. Don't think a Bandit would be comfortable mid 42nd or Big River. Good to see things swinging back to ADV bikes
Its been an interesting process - in a way hurting my back has been a blessing in disguise as its forced me to get out on the klr again and I have had so much fun on those backroads in the Ashurst - Taihape - Wanganui triangle. Riding down the forgotten highway last Sunday was just the best riding ever - what a magic magic road

Talked to a nice couple at the Wanga pub who dont go further north than the pub because they don't want to ride their sport bikes on the 10km? of gravel - they miss out on the best part of the ride. They were also commenting on how poor the road surface was - I never noticed on the klr

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
I'm suggesting that it's not, because on the seal you want the front to let go first to low-side. And knobblies tend to let go slowly and recoverably - much more so than full street tyres.

Would love to join you but can't for a good few weekends.

I'm currently on a lap of the mainland, started Friday week ago with a ride to the Mussel Inn and back. Rest of the trip has been mostly driving the van & trailer. I get back on Thursday arvo and then Friday morning head off on the bike to the annual trip to Sandhills Creek (next one north of the Anatori) for the Easter caving camp. Always up for more riding out there though! I could be persuaded to be the support wagon for an overnight at Trilobite Hut (on the Cobb Reservoir) because I've wanted to take my boy out there for ages.

The weekend after Easter is a club trail ride, which I am using to dial in the EXC's suspension - picked up the re-valved forks from DAS Moto today, with quite a list of instructions to get the chassis sorted. The weekend after is Rnd 1 of the cross-country series.
At least you aren't suffering from boredom....
I'll prolly stick the new mt21 front I have sitting in the shed on at least that will give me a few more off road options. I need another front wheel so I can have a roady tire already mounted.

Well last night I rode another bandit (2007 1250 mint 25km $6k) it needed a new rear tire and the 'flat' bit in the middle of the wide 180/55 really really destroyed its handling - other than that it was a sweet bike and a bargain at $6k.

I also rode a 2003 955 tiger which was a bit tatty and had done 50km - the motor/gearbox were sweet and it felt very much like a klr with the engine it really needed. Once underway the extra weight disappears and the front brakes were great - pity the front tire went flat before I had a chance to go more than a few km.

I'd need to ride another one or two but its a definite contender

Its been a really interesting exercise trying all these bikes - really forced me to think hard about what I really want as opposed to what I think I want.

I'm really happy with the klr ergo's/comfort/handling/size/luggage capacity etc its really just the recent reliability (which may just be an expensive bad patch - which can be fixed with moola or a newer klr), brakes (which I think I can fix with a bigger disc etc) and the engine (which I can improve but it will never be an engine that I look forward to using).

cheers

Mark