User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #16
bull600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Thanks Guys

Thanks for your kind thoughts and positive comments guys. It’s amazing to see the genuine level of concern from a group of people who are in a sense, ‘internet friends’. Although in most cases we haven’t met I feel like I know many of you through sharing our adventures together.

Although Paul’s ability to communicate is pretty well compromised now due to his condition, he still generally understands what people are saying to him. Although a bit of a techno noob at the best of times, Paul always derived great pleasure from reading the Ride Reports I wrote after our trips. He’d proudly email off the link to all his work colleagues to show them the sort of things he got up to. In fact he rang me at work one day, quite chuffed, to say that a guy at a city bike store had called him by his first name when he went in to get some parts. When he asked how he knew his name he said that he’d recognised him from his exploits on ADVrider!

After his operation and before he became paralysed a few mates and I loaded up the swags and took him on a trip in the 4x4 down to the South East, that followed a trip we did on the bikes a few years ago (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701052).

He was pretty quiet for most of the trip and when he did talk it was to say how fantastic it was to be out in the bush. Then at one point while looking out the window he piped up and said “you know whatever happens, whether I’ve a got a few months or a few years, I’ve had a bloody good life. We’ve done a lot of shit in our lives guys, so many trips! Some people just sit on their arses their whole life and do nothing. We’ve done so much stuff!” and then he was quiet again. It was typical Paul..

This gets to the crux of what many of you have said in your responses, both in this thread and through PM. That is - keep getting out there and enjoying what you like doing, because you never know what life can throw at you!

Cheers
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #17
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,408
Bull, you are a mate in the best Aussie sense of the word, truly uplifting!
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 AM   #18
ECKS-Man
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Thanks for sharing your ride with us. All the best to Paul. You blokes are lucky to have each other!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #19
bull600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
RIP Paul

See update at the end of Post 1

Cheers
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #20
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,264
My sincere condolences mate. You two were quite a pair of adventurers. Glad Paul could say he'd had a hell of a good life. Your ride reports leave no doubt about that fact.
Rest In Peace, Paul. I'm sure you have an eternity of memories to enjoy.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #21
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 371
What a fabulous report, I felt I was on my DR with you guys, bloody well put together.
Can't add to the other replies except to say ... my heart sank.
Thanks so much for posting, it would have been difficult in a way but, also a closure I guess.
Condolences to you, Pauls' family & friends and to the ADV family at large ... we have lost a brother.

R.I.P. Paul

french horn screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 03:02 AM
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #22
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Bull600, Paul was a lucky man to have you and many others as friends. You honor him with this story of your fun times. He travelled in good company. My sympathies for the loss of your friend and fellow rider.
Rutabaga is online now   Reply With Quote