Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #34111
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,262
Well these hand guards are seeming to be a little trickier then I thought they'd be???

Old 03-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #34112
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
Well these hand guards are seeming to be a little trickier then I thought they'd be???
I don't want to hear that - mine are on the way! Though I've upgraded the handlebars, hopefully I won't see what you're seeing.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #34113
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
I just bought an 08 with 13,000 km (~8000 miles).

For the roadworthy test the previous owner had to fit new fork seals ... i've only done about 600 kms and there's a touch of oil on the forks.

Looking at the guards there's plenty of rub marks, and the dust seals have been shaved by the compression. Worse still when I compress the forks just bouncing them in my shed I can see contact

Now I need to figure out if this is causing the hammering vibration feeling I get at 50 mph. (Tyre already changed and wheel rebalanced)

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:50 AM   #34114
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
Having a short SO who is very vocal about this subject, let me warn you: You're treading on thin ice here.

You can only lower a WR so far and you may find your wife is never comfortable on it. Being the better dualsport is one thing, but if it scares her to ride it, it won't matter how well it performs off road.

You look at the crf250l?
You're wise beyond your years.

XT 225/250.

Then move up if it's warranted.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:20 AM   #34115
dnsjo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Stock height questions

My seat height was lowered by the previous owner with a Corbin seat and stock adjustment, and is still at 36 inches. I have a Moose link ready to install to lower it a further 1.75. Don't know if this will work well or not, but I've ordered Tusk bar risers from Rocky Mountain ATV so I can drop the forks even further than the stock 18 mm allowed.
dnsjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:25 AM   #34116
rsteiger
Bob

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
lol what the hell was that sound?
LOL!!! I got a couple of messages on my Droid when I was recording that! What timing! I replaced the video with another one that I shot.
2001 GasGas XC250
rsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #34117
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,900
Flatlands Skid Plate vibes...

I put a Flatlands Racing skid plate on mine right after getting the bike 22K miles ago. It had harmonic vibes that were somewhat irritating to me. Next oil change while I had the plate off I reinstalled with 1-1/2" rubber washers placed between frame and the plate at the four bolt hole mount sites. No more vibes. Rubber washers were about 35 each at the local ACE hardware store.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #34118
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,511

Go Man! Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post

Old 03-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #34119
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I put a Flatlands Racing skid plate on mine right after getting the bike 22K miles ago. It had harmonic vibes that were somewhat irritating to me. Next oil change while I had the plate off I reinstalled with 1-1/2" rubber washers placed between frame and the plate at the four bolt hole mount sites. No more vibes. Rubber washers were about 35 each at the local ACE hardware store.

I can get some rubber gromets from work I think I might try those...
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #34120
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,511
Mt Mellum! That rattled my memory... I used to live in Maleny some years back for a few years... loved riding all the dirt and paved twisties on both sides of the range. Sunday brekkie at Maple 3 then for the day. Great riding area you have there to explore and enjoy on the WR.

Awe, man now I'm thinking fish and chips watching the surf for lunch or ...

Not the original poster, but Target in Maroochydore should have something equivalent to the fit the dimensions of your bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeksyOfOz View Post
I'm liking this. I've yet to buy a rack for my WRR, but have the bag. I used a rollmat underneath it when on my KLR and had wondered how it would fit on a WRR, so thanks for sharing!

What was the rubbermaid tub you cut down? (wonder if i'll find the equivalent in Australia...)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #34121
xy500
Loser

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by treybrad View Post
Keep us posted on what you find out -- my '08 is making a similar noise. I can't quite pinpoint it, but it's a high pitched squeal coming from somewhere in the lower end. If I give it a touch of throttle to increase the idle, it quiets down. Does yours do that? Been doing it for the last 500mi or so, I have right around 2,800mi on it, doesn't seem to get any worse, oil change didn't have any impact.

trey
Did you ever work this one out? i've got the same issue on a new to me wr250r with 11000km. I'm wondering how serious it is? I'm suspecting the water pump.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #34122
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
Also wedge a large grommet between the cases and the skidplate 'wings' on either side of the motor. Part of the resonance is there as well.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #34123
aj_day
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
You're wise beyond your years.
XT 225/250.
Then move up if it's warranted.
Everybody gets to do their research and make a choice. We already made ours - it's a WR250R. I know that starting with an XT225 or CRF230 is solid for smaller riders. She believes that she would outgrow those bikes too quickly. She has been through several street bikes, and is a very aggressive street bike rider with track experience. She read Lois on the Loose, and said she would kill me if I bought her an XT225. That's why we are still in love after 17 years... You may criticize my foolhardiness now, I am ready.

I know that there are other women riding these with similar stature. We are going to spend some money on springs and suspension tuning, and she is going to get a pair of Frey Daytona boots, that will give her a little extra height. She will also have a little learning to do, but I am sure it will not take long for her to get used to it. The Ducati she rides on the street has a 29.5in seat height, and she has become spoiled.

I think my next task will be sorting out the suspension for her weight. I am not aware of any suspension gurus in the Minneapolis area, so I may be taking it on myself. A good friend is a mountain bike suspension guru with some national chops, and I may enlist his help.

I would appreciate any recommendations on replacement springs and oil weights, etc... Racetech recommends .42 springs in the front and an 8.62 spring in the back. This sounds like a softer spring in the front (stock is .47) and a heavier spring in the back (stock is 7.7)? The rear feels very plush right now, and she is getting a little over 3 inches of sag (with yamalink installed). A heavier spring on the rear shock does not seem warranted, but she is getting very little sag at all in the front (@ 1in). Any one with experience have an opinion on Racetech's reccomendations?

aj_day screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 08:17 AM
aj_day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #34124
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,529
Question

When you kill the bike is it hard to restart? I have to turn the key off/on in order for it to restart. It seems like the fuel pump doesn't kick in unless I do that...
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #34125
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,704
When you drop it, the tip over sensor kills the bike and requires a key cycle to restart.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote