User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #7891
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Safari Tank:

Rinse out new tank several times to clean out plastic shavings, mouse turds, and other crud before installing...

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:22 AM   #7892
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,095
I put an inline filter between the safari and the main tank...

I just finished changing the fuel pump in my bike as it died in my driveway two weeks ago... and set code 4long one short.
taking it apart.. don't forget to unplug the air box sensor, when removing the airbox, don't forget to remove the frame grnd before you flip up the main tank as they will break...
I found the fuel line was kinked from the dealer when he put the fuel line adapter on the main fuel tank...
I used the wiki690 web site http://ktm690.info/index.php/Main_Page for the recipe for the napa/ ca cycle pump... worked out wonderfully... not likely to kink again because of the rubber lines... vs plastic. I also found it was quite easy for the power lines to fall off the fuel pump when reinstalling so I put a zip tie right at the connections.. hopefully won't fall off...
dealer 400$ for fuel pump
ktm690.info recipe less than 200$ including shipping..

The bike is running again, but the bars got bent somehow last year, so the controls are all removed and the new bling is now on order for that...
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #7893
Bumpaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
I put an inline filter between the safari and the main tank...

I just finished changing the fuel pump in my bike as it died in my driveway two weeks ago... and set code 4long one short.
taking it apart.. don't forget to unplug the air box sensor, when removing the airbox, don't forget to remove the frame grnd before you flip up the main tank as they will break...
I found the fuel line was kinked from the dealer when he put the fuel line adapter on the main fuel tank...
I used the wiki690 web site http://ktm690.info/index.php/Main_Page for the recipe for the napa/ ca cycle pump... worked out wonderfully... not likely to kink again because of the rubber lines... vs plastic. I also found it was quite easy for the power lines to fall off the fuel pump when reinstalling so I put a zip tie right at the connections.. hopefully won't fall off...
dealer 400$ for fuel pump
ktm690.info recipe less than 200$ including shipping..

The bike is running again, but the bars got bent somehow last year, so the controls are all removed and the new bling is now on order for that...
May I ask what filter you used between the Safari and the main tank? Thanks
Bumpaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #7894
dunefreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I'm having an issue with coolant venting out of my overflow bottle tube. I already replaced the radiator cap and made sure the tank wasn't overfull. I seem to remember reading some guys were having this problem. Mine is a 2012 and has been doing this since new. Any ideas? I'm tired of coming home after a ride with coolant all over my right boot.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #7895
daveknievel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Mine did the same thing. But it wasn't coming out the hose. It was running down the hose because of a hole in my rad.
daveknievel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #7896
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 4,128
Anybody CONUS have a set of .56nm 485mm springs sitting around they would like to unload? Even .59nm would work for me.
I finally got to serously ride Ginger after the rework of my shock. I put the 1-5/8 Kouba link back on first. Just so I could freaking touch the ground at least with my toes. I've decided to order in a 1" Kouba Link to keep from trashing my pan and tank. This chunky boy hits really HARD.
Now the front needs a bit more spring to match up with the rear. My valving is great, just a bit more spring.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #7897
dunefreak
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveknievel View Post
Mine did the same thing. But it wasn't coming out the hose. It was running down the hose because of a hole in my rad.
I haven't seen any leaks. The radiator looks ok. It's like when the bike gets warm it just slowly vents and fills the overflow bottle up and then pisses some out the overflow tube.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #7898
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunefreak View Post
I haven't seen any leaks. The radiator looks ok. It's like when the bike gets warm it just slowly vents and fills the overflow bottle up and then pisses some out the overflow tube.
could be a bad radiator cap that is not holding the pressure. If this happens you will overflow more liquid. Bad radiator caps are more common than you might think.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #7899
dunefreak
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
could be a bad radiator cap that is not holding the pressure. If this happens you will overflow more liquid. Bad radiator caps are more common than you might think.
I just replaced it. It's brand new.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #7900
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,128
I wonder if you have a bad thermostat or bad thermostat connection?
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #7901
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,382
Quote:
Did it do this before you replaced the cap? Just checking....
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #7902
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:

Could be an air bubble in the system, bad rad cap as just suggested. There is a small bolt on the top left of the radiator...believe its a bleeder...make sure it is tight. Make sure your oil is not emulsifying.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 03-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #7903
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpaman View Post
May I ask what filter you used between the Safari and the main tank? Thanks

I just went to the local small engine shop and bought what ever inline filter he had... no special unit.. that part of the fuel system is just gravity feed...
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #7904
dunefreak
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
Did it do this before you replaced the cap? Just checking....
yes, it's been doing it since I bought it brand new. I always just thought it was the cap. Here's my original post....

Quote:
I'm having an issue with coolant venting out of my overflow bottle tube. I already replaced the radiator cap and made sure the tank wasn't overfull. I seem to remember reading some guys were having this problem. Mine is a 2012 and has been doing this since new. Any ideas? I'm tired of coming home after a ride with coolant all over my right boot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Could be an air bubble in the system, bad rad cap as just suggested. There is a small bolt on the top left of the radiator...believe its a bleeder...make sure it is tight. Make sure your oil is not emulsifying.
I was going to try that and bleed it out really good with that bleeder when I fill it up. I checked and the oil is good.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #7905
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
yes, it's been doing it since I bought it brand new. I always just thought it was the cap. Here's my original post....

I was going to try that and bleed it out really good with that bleeder when I fill it up. I checked and the oil is good.
The headgasket failed on my 2008 with 10,000 miles on it. I still have to fix it but it was burning the coolant. It is possibly...worst case scenario...that you have a pressure leak into the coolant which is causing it to leak out. The headgasket on my 98 Saab failed last fall in such a way that it was pressurizing the coolant.