Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #1741
Valimagdon
Scooter Boy

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
I went to the Tokyo Motorcycle Show with my son yesterday and I had a chance to finally sit on a Sert. I gotta say that my 30" inseam is really stretchin' it for this bike. I'm comfortably on my tiptoes with the stock seat, but the scoop is not workin' for this kid. Which means that the high seat is a must. Not sure how well that'll work out.
You want a low aftermarket seat. The BMW high seat has the "cup". See my pictures from just a few posts ago. I like my SeatConcepts seat for it's comfort and flatness, but there's other brands that will do the same thing too. (Just not BMW)
--HC
Valimagdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #1742
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valimagdon View Post
You want a low aftermarket seat. The BMW high seat has the "cup". See my pictures from just a few posts ago. I like my SeatConcepts seat for it's comfort and flatness, but there's other brands that will do the same thing too. (Just not BMW)
I'm not sure about a lower seat. I think that might feel cramped over a few hours. I wouldn't mind something 1/2-3/4" higher as long as I could get rid of that darned scoop.

For whatever reason, a lot of makers think scooped seats are the way to go. There were very few bikes that I tried at the show that felt as though they'd be comfortable over a long day of riding. One LOOK at the F800GT and I was in love. One SIT on the F800GT and I was a single man once again.
Trane Francks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:48 AM   #1743
fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
change of topic:

can someone please be so kind and explain the YZ-fork swap?
did read 50 pages in this thread and got totally puzzled
with all the approaches and people removing their ABS
the link to some kit did not work

I would like different forks
because mine made that ugly klonking sound,
the local dealer said they did not know what was wrong,
but when they reassembed, the klonk was gone
and I am not happy with that

so please help me with a "fork swap for dummies"
and
yes, I would like to keep the ABS working
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #1744
alskee750
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiep View Post
change of topic:

and
You my friend have alot of reading to do...

Start here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399113

and here:

http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/ForkUpgrades.html

It's doable to save the abs as I've read it has been done. But most lose the ABS if they choose to keep the YZ brakes. There is alot of information out there just read and you'll find out what you need and decide what you want to do. Good luck.
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #1745
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDav View Post
Went to the dealer last night. He had a used Sert for me to test, so that was cool. But it was too high for me. Didn't even bother trying the 700/800. I wanted a thumper and that's what I got, G650GS, normal seat. Took her out this morning and all was good.
Thanks for all your info. One more question...eventually it's going fire-roading. You guys have a recommendation for a tire that's not too tame, but is still good for commuting? Also, if I get spoke rims at the next tire change, am I better off just getting BMW or is there cheaper but better rims out there for her? AND am I still welcome here or is there a G650GS specific owner's thread for me (wouldn't wanna step on any hardcore toes here). ;-)
Thanks again!
I just spooned on the Heidenau K60 Scout's due to all of the great reviews and Max sells them. Haven't ridden them yet, but I'm pretty excited
Old 03-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #1746
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I went to the Tokyo Motorcycle Show with my son yesterday and I had a chance to finally sit on a Sert. I gotta say that my 30" inseam is really stretchin' it for this bike. I'm comfortably on my tiptoes with the stock seat, but the scoop is not workin' for this kid. Which means that the high seat is a must. Not sure how well that'll work out.

All that said, I really liked how the bike felt with the notable exception of those rinky-dink little footpegs. WTH? Something wider would need to be bolted on ASAP before I'd feel happy standing up.
The best and cheapest option I found are the Long Distance footpegs with expanded rear from Touratech. If you are looking for stock peg to shifter/brake pedal distance than that is the one for you.
If you have small feet then the expanded front will work better I guess.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #1747
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
The best and cheapest option I found are the Long Distance footpegs with expanded rear from Touratech. If you are looking for stock peg to shifter/brake pedal distance than that is the one for you.
If you have small feet then the expanded front will work better I guess.
Thanks for the tip; I'll keep it in mind. I have US 10 1/2 sizing (or 11, depending on the footwear), so not exactly small. Expanded rear it is!

Cheers.
Trane Francks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #1748
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiep View Post
change of topic:

and

ok. basically .. go to e-bay and buy this shit.

when you get it it in the mail it will be all haggard and crappy. so, send them to HOH in oklahoma. spend around 500 or so. replace bearings in the hub, replace the pads, disc yadda yadda. shit wont fit right so you will have to cut plastic. ditch the 17" rear rim , replace with an 18", throw your abs in the trash. order non abs brake line and just like that easy as pie you are finished. ... well maybe not as easy as pie. . at least you had me to be the Sertao guinea pig trust me if you do this you will be like "holy shit this is awesome, its a completely different machine!"

prepare to spend a lot of money and plenty of garage time.
you should probably consider just sending your forks off to HOH and having them revalved and resprung. call and talk to them. they really know what they are doing. probably the cheapest and easiest way to get better offroad performance is to send your forks to HOH get them resprung and revalved, send your rear rim off to woody's and have an 18" rear rim laced to the stock hub.... then dont touch it.

just my 2 cents.... but that will never be as good as a full front end swap

you can see more pictures of the build by going here:

enduroearth.com

window licker
off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:32 AM   #1749
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Hey Swamp,
What about your engine? Any mod's for more power?
I see the new Husky Terra has 10 more ponies in that same 650.
Can we get them too?
I did just slip on the Leo Vince pipe, but I am not expecting much. It does sound better.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:34 AM   #1750
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the tip; I'll keep it in mind. I have US 10 1/2 sizing (or 11, depending on the footwear), so not exactly small. Expanded rear it is!

Cheers.

Definitely go for the expanded rear pegs.
In the picture on TT's site they look black. Mine came and are stainless, which I actually like better. I will have complete pics of the bike in a couple days.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #1751
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Hey Swamp,
What about your engine? Any mod's for more power?
I see the new Husky Terra has 10 more ponies in that same 650.
Can we get them too?
I did just slip on the Leo Vince pipe, but I am not expecting much. It does sound better.
Im not doing anything to my motor. I don't want to sacrifice reliability. Im happy with the power and how it is delivered. I done see myself needing anymore power for what this bike will be used for. Maybe you could tune it with a power commander...I think its fine the way it is.
off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #1752
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Definitely go for the expanded rear pegs.
In the picture on TT's site they look black. Mine came and are stainless, which I actually like better. I will have complete pics of the bike in a couple days.
Did they come with any sort of rubber insert to reduce the vibration on your feet during long stretches of slab? That's going to be a must for whatever pegs I end up with. I was looking at these...
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...f650gs-twin-08
...but I just noticed they noted that they do not fit the Dakar models. The mounts in the picture look similar to the Sertao's but it's hard to tell. Going to talk to someone at TwistedThrottle/SW-Motech and find out if they'll fit Serts.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #1753
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
Did they come with any sort of rubber insert to reduce the vibration on your feet during long stretches of slab? That's going to be a must for whatever pegs I end up with. I was looking at these...
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...f650gs-twin-08
...but I just noticed they noted that they do not fit the Dakar models. The mounts in the picture look similar to the Sertao's but it's hard to tell. Going to talk to someone at TwistedThrottle/SW-Motech and find out if they'll fit Serts.
The core of the peg looks identical to the stock pegs so I would think the rubber inserts would fit?
I can tell you this; I took the bike down the street today for just a minute and stood on the pegs the whole time. What a big difference! Never going back!

I have only experienced a slight vibration in the pegs around 65mph (something I don't do too often around here) and actually, the bike is still breaking in and I have noticed that the vibes are becomming less noticeable. You may only take real notice of the buzzing (the whole bike does it) if you are doing extended freeway time. And if that is what you're after than I think you may have the wrong bike:( I looked at the new F700GS bike today and I literally almost bought it on the spot. The only reason I didn't is family. I ride my sert alone, I ride my mtb and road bikes alone. I work alone (if you call it work:) so I try to spend every free minute raising my boys and kissing my wife.
Anyway, the F700 imop is a sweet little slab bike. cheap, nice power, cheap, BMW....... I likey!

kdennan screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 03:09 PM
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #1754
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
Im not doing anything to my motor. I don't want to sacrifice reliability. Im happy with the power and how it is delivered. I done see myself needing anymore power for what this bike will be used for. Maybe you could tune it with a power commander...I think its fine the way it is.
Yeah, I agree. My OCD ADD got the best of me
I never mod my engines more than the exhaust or jetting. I want rock reliable. Actually, I just went down the road a minute ago and I have to say that the bike feels stronger off the bottom with the Leo Vince for sure. And who cares?! It sounds awesome! I do love the stock power. I got carried away for a moment and almost forgot what I bought that bike for.
And besides, I have bigger fish to fry. Was it you that went to the dealer the other day and tried the scooter? I did today and I'm getting one for the wife (and me and the boys:) I never would have dreamed a scooter could be so fun to ride! What a flamer
Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #1755
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Battery

Seems that everyone is switching to the $63 scorpion battery, but has anyone tried the Shorai Lithium battery?

http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/lfx14l5-bs12.html

OK, so its $150, but its 6lbs lighter, which is roughly the same weight savings I'd get from the Leo exhaust.

Anyone?

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote