Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #75121
Greaslife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Being a new blood I have reading all the topics you have posted in the bike specific thread . I have learned a lot it's much prepared thanks
Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #75122
gjcarving
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
So are we.

Oops, DR pic:

If I remember correctly from your other post and pictures of your bike, it looks like you have been busy this winter adding lots of goodies to your bike. Looks Great!
gjcarving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #75123
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Hey does anybody know which bike the MX-Rob FCR carb for the DR comes from? I need to order a new choke for mine because it won't stay engaged.

Thanks.

Rob
Check with Sudco or Carburetor Parts Warehouse

http://carbparts.com/
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #75124
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Speaking for myself and I'm sure for many, many others: we are very grateful for your efforts, also!

Lex
Hi Lex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarving View Post
If I remember correctly from your other post and pictures of your bike, it looks like you have been busy this winter adding lots of goodies to your bike. Looks Great!
Thanks, all dressed up and nowhere to go.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #75125
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Hey does anybody know which bike the MX-Rob FCR carb for the DR comes from? I need to order a new choke for mine because it won't stay engaged.

Thanks.

Rob
If your carburetor has a choke, it's not likely to be an FCR.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #75126
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #75127
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
If your carburetor has a choke, it's not likely to be an FCR.

Regards,

Derek
I disagree with a lot you have to say, but I kept my mouth shut, but this tops it. Do you really dyno bikes? Have you ever tuned a bike with an FCR on it?
Just about every bike I have ever been around with an FCR had a choke on it. My stock WR had a choke on it, and my DR with an FCR has a choke on it.

Added: I am sure you are going to chime in about the technical difference between a choke and an enricher circuit, but for the average person they are they same in the way they work to warm a cold bike up.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #75128
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,130
I looked up the price of a choke for the FCR in my Outlaw 525 and it was $100!!! So if that's the case off of all the variations of the FCR, maybe I can find another bike or something where I can get the thing cheaper. Otherwise I'll just keep dealing with it as it is. It's a mild annoyance is all.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #75129
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Stock Vacuum Petcock in the Acerbis 5.3

Using the stock vacuum petcock with the Acerbis isn't a 'bolt and go' option.

Stock Acerbis.

I suggest changing the order that I did this project. File the flat first, if you loose interest or decide this is too much trouble, you can still use the Acerbis petcock. Once the hole is ovaled, there's no goin' back.

If your tank has a raised boss on the surface like the Acerbis 5.3, you'll need to file it flat or the rectangular o-ring on the stock petcock won't seal. The o-ring isn't very 'fat' and won't seal over the four red circles shown below. You want to be real careful here, since the o-ring is so thin, if you nick the surface with a power tool, it won't seal.

I used a hand file, it took forever and I'm happy with the result. File til my fingers hurt, watch TV, file til my fingers hurt, watch TV................................................ .. I used single file strokes, making sure the file was flat to the surface every stroke.

Petcock hole elongated for the double tube stocker. Once you commit to this point, the Acerbis petcock o-ring won't seal anymore.

Stock petcock on the left, Acerbis on the right.

Where it's going to leak.

Original debris inside new tank doesn't matter since the filing to fit added more (And why you want to rinse out your new tank before you use it). A benefit to the neutral color; it was easy to see inside the tank, all surfaces. I used hot faucet water to rinse the tank, shook it up good and drained it, three times. To get the remaining droplets out, I rubber banded a paper towel to a dowel. The neutral color made the drops sparkle, easy to blot up.

Another difference, the stock petcock is 1" taller than the Acerbis. This might be a problem since the uphill loop is now 1" higher. Note: ignore the vacuum port, which is less than 1" (a bit misleading in the photo).

The uphill loop and potential vacuum lock. When the fuel level gets low, there isn't enough head pressure to overcome the air bubble in the loop. This means the bike quits running even though you can still see gas in the tank. It's a common problem on both the IMS and Safari aftermarket tanks, some work, some don't. I haven't heard anything on the Acerbis yet.

And: the vacuum petcock is thicker where it screws to the tank. I don't like the idea that there aren't threaded metal inserts in the tank, the mounting screws thread into the plastic. My point is, now the provided 2 screws are too short for a good secure bite in the plastic. OCD, maybe. The provided screws are 3/4", I bought a pair 1" long (size 12x1 SAE stainless is just a bit larger O.D. [.17mm] than the 5mm that were supplied).

Before:

Reason, low profile front tire:

After:

Quote:

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 03:15 PM
Old 03-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #75130
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I looked up the price of a choke for the FCR in my Outlaw 525 and it was $100!!! So if that's the case off of all the variations of the FCR, maybe I can find another bike or something where I can get the thing cheaper. Otherwise I'll just keep dealing with it as it is. It's a mild annoyance is all.

Rob
Is the carburetor you have an FCR or an FCRMX?

Regards,

Derek
Old 03-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #75131
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
I got my FCR MX off a YFZ 450 quad(straight body/slide) and it has choke knob and it evens works!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #75132
clfarren5944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
/QUOTE]
I decided to use the Acerbis supplied petcock because of the large weight difference between stock and Acerbis. They might have planned it that way so the screws into plastic would not present a problem.
Chris

clfarren5944 screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 08:00 PM
clfarren5944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #75133
NYTrainer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
My FCR41 has a choke.

BTW, the guy who is selling his original carb in the Flea Market who stated that the " The pumper was not worth the trouble to set up" does not know what he is missing!
I was lucky & bought mine from a very knowledgeable gentleman who sent it to me set-up & ready to go. A true bolt-on.

On the road the CV does OK, but off-road there is no comparison!

2004 DR650 Suzuki,1978 Yamaha XS750,
1981 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker,1981 Yamaha XV920 Chain-drive
1986 Yamaha YZ490-Vintage MX project, Yamaha TW200(Girl Friend's Ride) Yamaha TDM 850
NYTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #75134
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Chris:
You may be right.
Could you go back and edit out 11 of those photos? It's a bandwidth thing for some users.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #75135
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTrainer View Post
My FCR41 has a choke.
Unless someone did a really strange retrofit, your FCR41 has a cold start enrichment circuit.

A choke is closed when an engine is cold and opened when it is warm, whereas a fuel enrichment circuit is opened when the engine is cold and closed when it is warm. A choke works by restricting the air flow, whereas an enrichment circuit works by adding extra fuel. A choke requires a fast idle cam or something akin to it (or you have to hold the throttle open manually), whereas an enrichment circuit adds a little extra air simultaneously with the extra fuel, so the fast idle is already built in.

Regards,

Derek