1 - under 325lbs...

2 - over 325lbs....

3 - smokers.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:07 AM   #138
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,115
Now that I have finished my beer, I like the cross brand flavour of thumpers, we have 650GS owners fitting YZ or WP forks and similar with the 650X and there is much to learn from each other, similar is occurring with the other brands and models

There is enough notice from other BMW types to the goings on here, the big twin GS owners on advrider are the most active users of WP spreadsheets and notes I put on line to assist people swapping forks on the 650's (Hello there unholy Unioners)

Where there is a difference is between the longer distance big pig riders/info and the single track piglet screamers (no disrespect intended) so the capacity split would work and make info more accessible according to the type of riding, love the old smokers, they deserve their own place

Now that is enough, time for another beer

WayneC1 screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 05:12 AM
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #139
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
As far as I am concerned, the problem with the Thumper forum are the megathreads. They are filling up the first page, displacing all new and "small" threads, and are a major pain in the ass to find anything in.

We have all that technology to subdivide stuff into sub forums, yet we pack all info concerning my beloved 640 ADV into one thread without any organization whatsoever. True, there is Meat Popsicle's super TOC for the LC4 ADV (Thanks for that!), but search is not that useful: You find the question, but maybe a relevant reply is 10 pages later?

-> Create a sub forum when you see a mega thread forming. That way information stays organized without spamming the general thumper forum too much, keeping it interesting and still diverse!

Why divide it up before it is needed? Divide when the need appears. A 690 adventure being announced? Create the 690 adv sub forum (or rather use the then existing LC4 690 sub forum I guess). Lots of new threads specific for any other bike? Create a sub forum for that. Of course the decision when to create a sub forum will be somewhat arbitrary, but that way the general Thumper forum will stay interesting.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #140
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I liked the idea of a split by displacement vs. mfr'r....but after thinking how I've used the Thumper forum over the years -- it's been split between dualsported dirtbikes and factory plated dualsports.
So now I'm just more confused
Generally, I like the idea. I'd been thinking along these lines but not liking putting XCW into one forum, and the exact same bike as an EXC into the other.

Pro for displacement split is that there's no doubt, it's easy and clear. Con are the models that don't fit use with displacement- for example, in my mind an XT250 belongs more with KLR/ DR/ etc than with light KTM/ Husky, even though it shares displacement with the later.

Pro for "factory plate" is that XT250 stays with its real family. Con is that EXC gets divided from XCW.

Pro for weight is that generally, like stays with like. Con is that people may not know what their bike weighs, or what the bike they are interested in weighs, and there's more room for confusication.

On balance, after considering those options (and more), I came to the conclusion that the clarity of CC division outweighs the downside of orphans caught on the wrong side of the fence.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #141
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,773
Two strokes arent thumpers,they dont need to be in with cam/valve beasts.

The 250 thumper fanatics are they're own subset of loonies,they of the high revving low horsepower buzz bombs.

Probably the simplest way would be below 450 and above.
No perfect solution.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #142
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,115
Big Pigs - Porkers
Little Pigs - Piglets
Smoked Pig

Resistance is Futile
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #143
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,810
I am starting to think it is time to change the name to singles just so the "it ain't a Thumper types" will give it a rest. With my friends there are two strokes mixed in with Thumpers on about every ride. So this is where two strokes fit whether or not it offends the name sensitive.

Weight doesn't make much sense to me because Japanese 250's weigh more than big bore KTM dual sports but are an entirely different type of motorcycle. If you set weight high enough to clear Japanese 250's you capture all of the EXC's along with LC4E's and probably the 690 Enduro.

But, every time I ride in a group displacement is how things naturally get sorted out. Little bikes can't hang with big bikes in the open and big bikes can't hang with little bikes in the snot. When we hit the road for mountain paved twisties the little guys tend to stick with the offroad program. When the little guys hit the AA loop the big boys either cringe and suck up the hell or take the bailout loop.

If we have to do it, displacement seems like the way to go. But, to me, the split needs to be 600+ or you end up capturing big bore EXC's and TE's with Japanese and Euro long range dual sports.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #144
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post

Pro for "factory plate" is that XT250 stays with its real family. Con is that EXC gets divided from XCW.

That proves something to me, I know what an XT250 is even though I don't have one, but I have zero clue what an EXC or an XCW is...put the KTM's as a subforum under Orange Crush...ya'll are a club anyways.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #145
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Brands sub-forum, and models sub-sub

L
That's how they do it on Thumper Talk. I'm OK with it, but almost never go there.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #146
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,730
+1 for Ned's use of the word confusication.

This thread has it!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #147
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Delete all the damn mega threads. Enough is enough, an end has to be put to this.
Sub forum questions about bikes the son of a bitch doesn't even own.
And just delete threads that are clearly a bunch of crap. " can I put 1979 Yz125 forks on my DR? My cousin bent the DR forks when he crashed into a culvert, and my uncle has these primo forks behind his barn"
Plus, just ban a dumbass for doing something stupid like that. All these threads explaining how to swap an oil seal from onemodel KTM to it's distant relative- stupid idiots! who gives a fuck you scrounge for o-rings? You need to tell the whole world about the dime you made? Ban him. Or give him access to the KLR's only.

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #148
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
That proves something to me, I know what an XT250 is even though I don't have one, but I have zero clue what an EXC or an XCW is...
Same here.

To me the Europeans are exotics. No dealers in half this state. I don't see European dealers in many other rural areas either when I do see Japanese-brand dealers.

I'm sure there are European dealers in many rural areas that are more prosperous or near cities.

There's no need for me to know what an EXC is because they just aren't around here.

I'd really prefer East/West split but will appreciate ADV however it's organized.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #149
rch10007
Dotted Quad Ranger

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
Delete all the damn mega threads. Enough is enough, an end has to be put to this.
Sub forum questions about bikes the son of a bitch doesn't even own.
And just delete threads that are clearly a bunch of crap. " can I put 1979 Yz125 forks on my DR? My cousin bent the DR forks when he crashed into a culvert, and my uncle has these primo forks behind his barn"
Plus, just ban a dumbass for doing something stupid like that. All these threads explaining how to swap an oil seal from onemodel KTM to it's distant relative- stupid idiots! who gives a fuck you scrounge for o-rings? You need to tell the whole world about the dime you made? Ban him. Or give him access to the KLR's only.

...speaking of useless posts inside a thread.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #150
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,543
Air cooled
Liquid cooled
Two-strokes
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote