Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,738
Nice, have fun. I used to live in the Keys (Islamorada and Summerland Key).

If you like pizza, try to find No Name Pub. Get a Royal Pub Pizza and enjoy. One of my favorite places to eat in the Keys. Sorry I can't be more help with the camping, I usually stay at the state parks. I'll actually be down there around the end of March, but I'm camping at a state park.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #17
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien VFR View Post
I just made reservations for the 17th & 18th at Bahia Honda (waterfront site). I wanted to head down sooner but that was the first opening for a water front site at BH. In fact, my bike is fully loaded right now; just need an excuse to hit the road. Was thinking of heading to Daytona but funds are somewhat limited right now.
Awesome. It's addicting. Make your reservations for next year on the way out....you can always cancel them.....
brewmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #18
tiredofpushinpedals
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I'll 2nd Big Pine...

The wife and I have tent camped at the Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge, last year. The location is beautiful, some of the sites are right on the water and it's easy-on, easy-off of US 1, without the road noise really being a factor. The folks there are friendly, the washrooms are the best of any campsite I've ever stayed in and there's really Key Deer that roam around. Most of the sites are retired folks in RV's or Trailers, but you do get some families and such. Would definately recommend and am looking forward to getting back down there (we're in FTL) when we can.
tiredofpushinpedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #19
danh600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
I have never been to any of the private campgrounds. So I can't speak on those.

There are 3 state parks that are decent. None of them are cheap by state park standards. I think all are about 39 a night.

Bahia Honda, Long Key and Curry Hammock. The only problem is they stay full much of the season. You just have to go on the web site and hope you get lucky. You have better luck if you are only staying a day or two during the week. Weekends are really hard to find.
http://floridastateparks.reserveamer...mode=findOther

I got lucky a few months ago and found a saturday night open at Long Key. Pretty nice campsite. Close to the water and nice soft sand to put the tent on. A little close to the neighbors and a bit of road noise, but I would go back. You are just feet from the water.

Edit - I will add. This is South Florida. Summer time camping is not much fun in a tent. Nights don't cool off a whole lot and the bugs are pretty bad. I would spring for a hotel if you come during the hot months. There are some affordable motels in the middle keys.

danh600 screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 07:25 AM
danh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Shaping up to be awesome to camp down there this weekend....
Old 03-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #21
NDKRomany
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
camping

Just FYI for anyone in the future reading this.
The only decent place to camp in the keys is Bahia Honda state park and it will be full during the winter season.

Do NOT camp at Boyds!!!! It is a joke!!!! There is an airforce base within a stones throw and you will hear jets all day and night. There is NO sand to camp on. I hated Boyds so much I spent one night and left. In fact I didnt even like Key West and will never go back. It is not relaxing but dirty and noisy.

Bahia Honda is fantastic and worth staying at but honestly do not go past Honda state park unless you want a picture of the southern most point. I was very disapointed in the whole trip.

There are so many better places to visit in Florida besides the keys. Stay away from there in my opinion and this is coming from someone who lives in Florida.
NDKRomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #22
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDKRomany View Post
Just FYI for anyone in the future reading this.
The only decent place to camp in the keys is Bahia Honda state park and it will be full during the winter season.

Do NOT camp at Boyds!!!! It is a joke!!!! There is an airforce base within a stones throw and you will hear jets all day and night. There is NO sand to camp on. I hated Boyds so much I spent one night and left. In fact I didnt even like Key West and will never go back. It is not relaxing but dirty and noisy.

Bahia Honda is fantastic and worth staying at but honestly do not go past Honda state park unless you want a picture of the southern most point. I was very disapointed in the whole trip.

There are so many better places to visit in Florida besides the keys. Stay away from there in my opinion and this is coming from someone who lives in Florida.
+1.... The middle keys are the only ones worth the trip. You have to dive Key Largo at least once and see Jesus, as well as crawl home at least once from Sloppy Joes....but Marathon is where I prefer to fish and lobster out off....well that and a bud has a house down there I can use....
Old 03-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #23
Alien VFR OP
Space Jockey

Oddometer: 305
Bahia Honda was AWESOME!

2006 Buell XB12X Ulysses
Alien VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #24
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,738
Glad you enjoyed it! Pics look great. I'm flying in on Wednesday. I can't wait.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #25
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
i've been camping in side key west city limits for 15 years! Sigsbee's Point! I love key west, both night and day. A bicycle is all you need to get around. water toys like jet ski's, kayaks and kite boards make for a full day. sit in front of the tent and fish. unfortunately, not every one if Florida can do what i do.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #26
Tooslow
Banned

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
i've been camping in side key west city limits for 15 years! Sigsbee's Point! I love key west, both night and day. A bicycle is all you need to get around. water toys like jet ski's, kayaks and kite boards make for a full day. sit in front of the tent and fish. unfortunately, not every one if Florida can do what i do.

If tent camping is not allowed in KW proper. How do you get away with it?
Tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #27
danh600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooslow View Post
If tent camping is not allowed in KW proper. How do you get away with it?
My guess is he is active military.
danh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #28
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,599
Active or retired have access to Sigsbee on the north side of the city. They also have a do-it-yourself car wash, unique south of Mile Marker 50.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #29
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by danh600 View Post
My guess is he is active military.
yep, retired.
not only is there Sigsbees point, but also Trumbo point which is a 5 minute walk to KW marina.