Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #766
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
Here are some pics, but I'm trying this Shutterfly share site out so this might not work.
SW Motech engine guards from various angles. One pic shows what they look like after the bike takes a nap!
Also the headless Beemer pic shows the SW Motech pegs with the rubber on.

I'm testing out some Madstad windshields and will post pics and a review a little later.

I love my bike! 26k miles and counting......

http://09bmwg650gs.shutterfly.com/#%...%3dSHARE3SXXXX

hmm, says I can't post attachments so this link will have to work for now.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #767
guavadude
de-composer

ok trying smugmug.

The headless Beemer. Changing dash bulbs is a bitch. You can also see the SW Motech pegs.

Colorado!

Engine guards needs a little touch up paint. Bike needs a bath.

Testing out some Madstad shields. Review to come shortly.

I park wherever the hell I want to park because I'm a rebel and a gang of one.....uh, and no one else was there.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:05 AM   #768
mramosc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
The SW Motech guards are nowhere near your knees. Yes they protect the engine and upper faux tank plastic. They are easy to put on and are heavy duty. One major perk is that they stick out just far enough that I can rest my legs on them cruiser style without the need for highway pegs! They've saved the bike from being totaled so well worth the investment. Personally if I ever buy a new bike they will be the first thing I put on before I put gas in the tank.

I haven't seen the need for a beefier bash plate from the stock one that came on my '09. I ride with Anakee or Tourance tires so I'm not grinding away on boulders. If you are planning on going to full knobbies and are in hardcore terrain then yeah, beef everything up. The stock plate is fine for gravel roads.

If you haven't dropped the bike yet, chances are you will. The SWM engine guards let you pick it right back up. Also makes picking it up easier because it doesn't go all the way down.

I also highly recommend the new SW Motech pegs. They have removable rubber inserts for highway and are SO much better than stock. Wish I had done that long ago.
Thanks for the info.
I will definatelly need them, I already dropped my bike once, and I "plan" to drop it a lot of more times
I realize now that the crashbars I had seen in pictures, were a different version. Also SW-Motech but made (or targeted) for g650gs 2011 and newer. But well "dunc59" also posted some info and pictures for that version of bars.
They both look beffy, so assuming that both versions fit a 2012, now I gotta decide which one looks better.

mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:35 AM   #769
guavadude
de-composer

I'd call Twisted Throttle and make sure both can work. You might not have a choice. It looks like the with the newer version you won't be able to put your legs up on them if that matters to you.
You can always add hwy pegs if needed but the TT ones are $140...ouch.

At one naive point in my life I actually thought motorcycles would be a cheap way to travel!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #770
Sotz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
slowly adding bits, and sharing it with the group :)

first mods :)

another view

was looking at the Akrapovic slip on, but wasnt sure that it would be a proper fit (without additional work). Two Bros was an option, but that meant putting in an order and waiting (for about a month). Good thing, Leo Vince has a local dealer and he had one on stock

latest add-on. :) pretty happy about it. I also got the PIAA light mounts, but dont have proper lamps yet.

no issues on hard starts, except for the time that the battery went weak cause i forgot to put water LOLS.

Sotz screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 09:31 AM
Sotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #771
guavadude
de-composer

what engine bars and pan are those? That looks suhweet.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #772
mramosc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
what engine bars and pan are those? That looks suhweet.
Those were all Touratech, I initially thought I was going to get those for my bike because that's what most people seem to have, so they should be good, and they do look real nice. But I read some reviews and the fairing guards don't seem very strong, especially bcause the are attached only in the front, so the back of the guard is not supported at all. So Im not sure how much real protection to the bike those offer.
If anybody here has those, please share your opinion on the TT fairing crashbars.
mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #773
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Pics seem to be missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotz View Post
slowly adding bits, and sharing it with the group :)

first mods :)

another view

was looking at the Akrapovic slip on, but wasnt sure that it would be a proper fit (without additional work). Two Bros was an option, but that meant putting in an order and waiting (for about a month). Good thing, Leo Vince has a local dealer and he had one on stock

latest add-on. :) pretty happy about it. I also got the PIAA light mounts, but dont have proper lamps yet.

no issues on hard starts, except for the time that the battery went weak cause i forgot to put water LOLS.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #774
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Yeah me too... the only thing cheap is the MPG lol

Quote:
I'd call Twisted Throttle and make sure both can work. You might not have a choice. It looks like the with the newer version you won't be able to put your legs up on them if that matters to you.
You can always add hwy pegs if needed but the TT ones are $140...ouch.

At one naive point in my life I actually thought motorcycles would be a cheap way to travel!

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #775
xxwtfoverxx
Super Noooob

Oddometer: 1
hot start issue with the Sertao.....

I am a nooooooooob.

I am sure this topic has been talked about to adnausium, but hey.. I am a noob and can get away with it right. Here is the issue....

on short runs, less than 12 miles. The bike does not want to restart. Its new (or was, she is almost a year old now... my how time flies).

Anyway. Called to take it in for the 600 mile check (which I was over milage by about 300, great service advisor gave me a harsh talking too and honored the warranty) I told him about the issue and he said "ummmmm are you sure its not anything your doing? like leaving the parking lights on... that would do it" I told him no and gave him all of the information to the best of my knowledge. This of course was over the phone and heck, I dont blame him for the doubt. I am sure a few people try to claim "Bad Bike" all the time. Made the apt and left in the am for it. Stopped for gas.....http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/eekers.gif. wont start. Waited 30 mins and it barley starts, but made it to the dealership.
They put it on the BMW magic tell all computer and bang!!!!!! There is an issue. Seems that there is a decompression arm that opens and allows the engine to start at low idle.. well the arm, she dont open! This is a valid issue and a warranty item. I can put the part numbers down once I get them from my desk at work. Waiting on the call as the parts had to be ordered. It seems to be a all day repair and will be given a loaner bike for the time its in the shop.

Anyway, looking at making some tweeks to the bike when she is up and running. Bought an adapter to go from the odd euro plug to a weather proof usb, thinking about crash bars with highway pegs and just ordered the Wunderlich throttle lock. Any and all comments and advice is welcome...

KW
xxwtfoverxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #776
Sotz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
@studioe6 - seems odd. some of my friends see the pics, but some dont. lols...will repost pics later. :) im trying to figure out how to post thumbnails, so it doesnt look soooo big in the thread.

but the protection equipment i used is TT. pan guards, upper and lower crash guards. i also used bark busters hand guards cause i didnt want to buy risers and change brake lines. i also posted a pic of the leo vince slip on.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:51 AM   #777
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
What's the story on broken forks? Has it been fixed?

Was it only the 650 singles? Only the GS?

Please elaborate as these machines are catching my eye.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #778
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxwtfoverxx View Post
I am a nooooooooob.

I am sure this topic has been talked about to adnausium, but hey.. I am a noob and can get away with it right. Here is the issue....

on short runs, less than 12 miles. The bike does not want to restart.
KW
Welcome
Yup, talked about ad nauseum (either earlier in this thread or in the parallel Sertao thread - can't recall which - and on www.f650.co.uk
Lots of guys seem to be getting the fix, as you have

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #779
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
What's the story on broken forks? Has it been fixed?

Was it only the 650 singles? Only the GS?

Quite a few years ago there was a problem with forks fracturing on a few singles. BMW came out with a re-design that beefed up the axle support, no systemic problems since. I believe the fix applies to all fuel injected models but it's well over 5 years old now.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #780
bajafrenzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Quite a few years ago there was a problem with forks fracturing on a few singles. BMW came out with a re-design that beefed up the axle support, no systemic problems since. I believe the fix applies to all fuel injected models but it's well over 5 years old now.

Haven't heard this about all fuel injected models being fixed and searches I've done haven't shown this to be true. That being said, this is kicking the proverbial dead horse. Do a google search of broken forks advrider and threads dedicated to this topic will come up. Here's some help:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700385
I haven't had any issues with my GS.
2002 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
1986 KTM 125SX (RIP)
bajafrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote