ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #46
fjfilips
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Survived

Jerry,
Thanks for taking a chance and offering to lead a ride to the Advrider group. Had a lot of fun, especially on the morning singletrack. I haven't had a chance to ride out there, so was very happy to make the trip for a guided tour.

Had one bit of trouble on the ride. My XR650R throttle pull cable snapped about an hour into the day. Took the tank off on the side of the trail. Tried to use the throttle push cable as the pull cable at the grip, but the cables were keyed to only fit in the correct way. Thought for a minute, and then swapped the cables down at the carb. Now my good "push" cable was instead opening the throttle, and the carb spring was closing the throttle.

I am now operational, except that the throttle grip is now working in the reverse direction! Rolling the throttle open now slows the bike and rolling the throttle closed now kicks the beast into orbit = Total and Complete Mindf**k. 25 years of ingrained habit turned completely inside out and upside down. I don't think I have had to think that hard on a motorcycle for decades, nearly every corner I had to do a complete analysis of the situation to figure out what the heck I had to do next. Screwing up on the straights wasn't any drama, the bike would die when I went to wack the throttle "open". But screwing up coming into a corner a bit hot and grapping brakes and rolling the throttle "closed" per instinct lead to more than a few pucker moments where the bike all of a sudden wanted to loft the front wheel up the side (or over the side) of a mountain... Man, my head HURT from trying to concentrate. Unlike the rest of this experienced group, I do not ride a race pace to begin with so this really slowed down my day.

On one nasty steep uphill jeep trail the rear tire slide down into a rut, and my instinct rolled "off" the throttle so I could recover. Now in my Total and Complete Mindf**k motorcycle control system, can you work out what a XR650R tractor engine is commanded to do with my hand on the throttle, the front wheel lofting up into the air, and my butt sliding off the seat?

Have you ever seen a motorcycle execute a full 180 flip in mid-air and execute an unassisted 3 point landing? After the bike cleanly exited from between my legs pinned at full throttle, leaving my standing neatly in the middle of the trail, I got a great vantage point!

Walked away with a hangnail, bent fatbar, broken $14 mirror but the XR650R beast (with Edelbrock carb) still started on the first kick!

Man I need to get out and ride more...

Frank

PS, yes, I got the tools back
fjfilips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #47
Kali Trailrider OP
PLATED X2

Oddometer: 459
Wow Frank that is quite a story....

This is what I saw coming up the Jeep trail...

You about to pick up your bike slide-out marks all over the place and a broken mirror laying in the dirt..!!

Riding sweep can be fun..!!

Great riding with you all...!!!!!
Kali Trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #48
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Sorry!

So bummed I missed this ride. Been wanting to ride that area for a while and missed a golden op.Glad all had a good time, hope to be along next time. Ended up spending all week in San Felipe (HELL HOLE). Great result with sons Colton 2nd and Ian 3rd! Again, sorry to stand you up.
radbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #49
CoronaWR426
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey, sorry for the thread resurrection, but do you have directions for that ride? I've been riding on hixon for a while and haven't found a way to make it to anza and then to idyllwild. Or maybe bext time you ride there, let me know, me and a buddy would love to joint in. We're advance level riders.
CoronaWR426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #50
rollinalong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 6
If you're on a plated bike you can scoot up Bautista after hixon/allesandro, and catch the dirt road heading north towards Thomas Mtn. From Thomas Mtn you can either bounce down into garner valley, or head west on Rouse Ridge back towards Hemet. From Hemet either head back to Bautista, or up Bee canyon to Idyllwild. Not sure of all the FS road numbers.
rollinalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #51
Kali Trailrider OP
PLATED X2

Oddometer: 459
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaWR426 View Post
Hey, sorry for the thread resurrection, but do you have directions for that ride? I've been riding on hixon for a while and haven't found a way to make it to anza and then to idyllwild. Or maybe bext time you ride there, let me know, me and a buddy would love to joint in. We're advance level riders.
The key to making a fun loop out of it is to be plated.
We usaully (for the most part) start at the bottom of Hixion and head up and around to Alesandro. Down Alesandro (unplated rides we turn around and go back up Alesandro and back to the trucks) right at Bautista canyon (bautista canyon road legally links hemet to Anza) to 6s18 and up Thomas mountain down 6s13 by lake Hemet turn left at Hwy 74 and head into Idyllwild for lunch and gas.
from there you have a lot of options maybe go through Pine Cove to Bee canyon down and around.
I like this ride because there are a lot of off shoots to get you other places you might want to go. Some off them are talked about earlier in this thread.

But I am not telling.

The loop I just posted is plenty for one day for most people and if you are not plated riding up Alesandro will be a workout for most people. On top of the other trails getting there and back.

but It is close to my house and I go out there a lot. shoot me a PM and maybe we can set something up.

Kali Trailrider screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 10:53 AM
Kali Trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #52
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,404
PM me on these Jerry. Just found it...
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #53
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223