Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #16
snogoose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 2
Here is what my local dealer and I came up with as a solution to mount the Denali D2D's to my 2013 F800 GS. I was struggling with a location to mount them until I saw this thread. (thanks jengel451 for the link to a part number!)

I didn't like the mount from TT because of the location next to the headlights and in front of the turn signals. Not a big fan of having them on the forks, had tried another location and was about to put them on the outside of the fender when Charlie came along...

This set-up consists of the BMW bracket that Charlie refers to, the hinge mount that comes in the box with the Denali's and Twisted Throttles M6 Hinge mount (ordered separately). They are then placed together in an "H" pattern with a few extra washers to make it all fit snugly. So far it is working really well for me: rock solid with no bouncing lights at night and very easy to fine tune the alignment of the lights for aiming. Eventually I might just drill through the factory mount and remove one of the brackets to tidy it up, but I am going to ride this way for the time being.

Denali D2D lights from TT: $360
OEM Bracket from BMW: $135
TT M6 Hinge mount: $5
Labor and shop materials: $95
Total = $595

Still expensive, but it sounds like it is less than BMW's option and I have a high and low beam. Needless to say, I am a big believer in seeing and being seen.

snogoose screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 05:48 AM
snogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
cchoc OP
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by snogoose View Post
Here is what my local dealer and I came up with as a solution to mount the Denali D2D's to my 2013 F800 GS. I was struggling with a location to mount them until I saw this thread. (thanks jengel451 for the link to a part number!)

I didn't like the mount from TT because of the location next to the headlights and in front of the turn signals. Not a big fan of having them on the forks, had tried another location and was about to put them on the outside of the fender when Charlie came along...

This set-up consists of the BMW bracket that Charlie refers to, the hinge mount that comes in the box with the Denali's and Twisted Throttles M6 Hinge mount (ordered separately). They are then placed together in an "H" pattern with a few extra washers to make it all fit snugly. So far it is working really well for me: rock solid with no bouncing lights at night and very easy to fine tune the alignment of the lights for aiming. Eventually I might just drill through the factory mount and remove one of the brackets to tidy it up, but I am going to ride this way for the time being.

Total = $595

Still expensive, but it sounds like it is less than BMW's option and I have a high and low beam. Needless to say, I am a big believer in seeing and being seen.

Very cool, thanks for posting that.
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
SOMA Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessehere View Post
I like those mounts. I wonder if those brackets work on older f8s. What do the brackets bolt to? Do they bolt up to Metal or plastic parts in the beak?
I installed the mounts on my 2013 GS yesterday. They attach to the front panel carrier by using two existing bolts per bracket. I'll try to post some additional pictures when I get around to mounting my Denali D2s. Here are a few pics of the right side mounts:

I put a piece of the black BMW electrical tape on the front bracket (the edge was a little sharp).
SOMA Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #19
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 681
Thanks for the pictures! I gots me an idea!!
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:34 AM   #20
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMA Man View Post
I installed the mounts on my 2013 GS yesterday. They attach to the front panel carrier by using two existing bolts per bracket. I'll try to post some additional pictures when I get around to mounting my Denali D2s. Here are a few pics of the right side mounts:

I put a piece of the black BMW electrical tape on the front bracket (the edge was a little sharp).
That's the same spot where TT install their foglight LED converter thingies :o)
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:58 AM   #21
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
SOMA Man, thanks for the photos!

But you didn't happen to get some shots of the LEFT side as well, did you?

I've installed a Stebel Nautilus Compact air horn on the left side where the original horn was and I don't think it would fit if I installed that bracket.

If I understand correctly, on the left side you had to remove the stock horn (and bolt) as well as the bolt above it, and then bolt it back together with the horn back in place. I would have loved to see some photos showing how much space the bracket takes there. I know the bracket is flat where the bolts go, and that it then goes to being round. The question is for how far does it remain flat?

I was so pleased with my horn installation and I don't think there is any other place it might fit. I'd hate to have to break apart the horn to separate the compressor from the horn part as that's really quite a big job.
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #22
SOMA Man
Adventurer

Left Side Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
SOMA Man, thanks for the photos!

But you didn't happen to get some shots of the LEFT side as well, did you?

I've installed a Stebel Nautilus Compact air horn on the left side where the original horn was and I don't think it would fit if I installed that bracket.

If I understand correctly, on the left side you had to remove the stock horn (and bolt) as well as the bolt above it, and then bolt it back together with the horn back in place. I would have loved to see some photos showing how much space the bracket takes there. I know the bracket is flat where the bolts go, and that it then goes to being round. The question is for how far does it remain flat?

I was so pleased with my horn installation and I don't think there is any other place it might fit. I'd hate to have to break apart the horn to separate the compressor from the horn part as that's really quite a big job.
I hope these are okay. I took them with my crappy iPhone this morning, before heading to work. Yes, I had to remove the stock bolts/horn and then bolt it back together with the horn back in place. The bottom picture (not a great photo) may help shed some light on how far it remains flat. It remains relatively flat until the point where the upper support of bracket attaches to the tubular section. However, if you look at the fourth photo, you can tell the the tubes are angled slightly outward. I can take some measurements if it would be helpful. I'll see if I can snap a better photo when I get home from work. I wish that I could be more helpful, but I have not seen a Stebel Nautilus in person, although I was considering installing one at some point. Perhaps there is still enough room to mount it on the outside of the light mounting bracket or get creative with some spacers, if applicable?

Old 03-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #23
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Snogoose, is it possible for you to supply some more information about what you call the "TT M6 Hinge mount"?

I was at my dealer today and ordered the BMW bracket (CDN$177!!!!) and showed them your photos and post. They were unable to find what that Touratech part was. (And my dealer is Touratech Canada!)

Thanks for any further info you could provide.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snogoose View Post
Total = $595
Old 03-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #24
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

SOMA Man, those photos are great! Thanks so much for posting them. Isn't the iPhone camera incredible?

Did you have to take the panel off to take the photos or was it already/still off? I hope you didn't have to go through a lot of trouble, but really it was very helpful.

I've ordered that BMW bracket, but now will have to find another solution to my Stebel horn. I don't want to give up the horn OR the bracket. SIGH

I suspect I'm going to have to do some major surgery on the Stebel horn and I don't look forward to that task. I've done it before on another bike I had and it wasn't fun. I'll see if the second time around will be any easier. What I'm thinking of doing is separating the compressor from the horn/trumpet part and then placing the compressor somewhere else and the trumpet where the original horn was (if it fits). I would connect the two with a length of silicone tubing. On one bike I had, the compressor was way at the back under the cover by the brake light and the horn/trumpet was under the front fender. Quite a length of tubing involved but there was no noticeable delay when blowing the horn.

If you're interested in seeing what my current horn installation looks like, here's the thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870824

Thanks again!

Quote:
I hope these are okay. I took them with my crappy iPhone this morning, before heading to work. Yes, I had to remove the stock bolts/horn and then bolt it back together with the horn back in place. The bottom picture (not a great photo) may help shed some light on how far it remains flat. It remains relatively flat until the point where the upper support of bracket attaches to the tubular section. However, if you look at the fourth photo, you can tell the the tubes are angled slightly outward. I can take some measurements if it would be helpful. I'll see if I can snap a better photo when I get home from work. I wish that I could be more helpful, but I have not seen a Stebel Nautilus in person, although I was considering installing one at some point. Perhaps there is still enough room to mount it on the outside of the light mounting bracket or get creative with some spacers, if applicable?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #25
cchoc OP
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Snogoose, is it possible for you to supply some more information about what you call the "TT M6 Hinge mount"?

I was at my dealer today and ordered the BMW bracket (CDN$177!!!!) and showed them your photos and post. They were unable to find what that Touratech part was. (And my dealer is Touratech Canada!)

Thanks for any further info you could provide.

Cheers!
TT is Twisted Throttle, not Touratech.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denal...mm-bolt-single
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #26
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Charlie! We're going to have to do something to clarify which company we mean by "TT" as Touratech stuff is often called "TT" as well. And I suspect Touratech has been around longer than Twisted Throttle has been.

Darn that it's Twisted Throttle and not Touratech, as I had recently placed a fairly large order with them. Now ordering just one inexpensive item from Twisted Throttle is going to cost more for shipping than the product itself.

Gonna have to see if there's another source for something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchoc View Post
TT is Twisted Throttle, not Touratech.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denal...mm-bolt-single
Old 03-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #27
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Quote:

Darn that it's Twisted Throttle and not Touratech, as I had recently placed a fairly large order with them. Now ordering just one inexpensive item from Twisted Throttle is going to cost more for shipping than the product itself.

Gonna have to see if there's another source for something similar.
There are Canadian dealers that carry Twisted Throttle stuff. Dualsport Plus and A Vicious Cycle come immediately to mind. There are probably others.

Dyslexics untie!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #28
SOMA Man
Adventurer

Quote:
SOMA Man, those photos are great! Thanks so much for posting them. Isn't the iPhone camera incredible?

Did you have to take the panel off to take the photos or was it already/still off? I hope you didn't have to go through a lot of trouble, but really it was very helpful.

I've ordered that BMW bracket, but now will have to find another solution to my Stebel horn. I don't want to give up the horn OR the bracket. SIGH

I suspect I'm going to have to do some major surgery on the Stebel horn and I don't look forward to that task. I've done it before on another bike I had and it wasn't fun. I'll see if the second time around will be any easier. What I'm thinking of doing is separating the compressor from the horn/trumpet part and then placing the compressor somewhere else and the trumpet where the original horn was (if it fits). I would connect the two with a length of silicone tubing. On one bike I had, the compressor was way at the back under the cover by the brake light and the horn/trumpet was under the front fender. Quite a length of tubing involved but there was no noticeable delay when blowing the horn.

If you're interested in seeing what my current horn installation looks like, here's the thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870824

Thanks again!
Mtl_Biker,

I'm glad I could help out. Yeah, the iPhone camera is awesome. I am somewhat amazed that not a single manufacturer (Touratech, BDCW, Altrider, etc.) has developed a proper mounting system for aftermarket lights specifically for the 2013 F800GS. Fortunately, I did not have to remove the panel. I decided to install a set of Skene Photon Blasters and I still had a little work to do. They should do a decent job of helping me get noticed.

I checked out your thread about your current horn installation. It is a very informative and detailed write-up. Living in downtown San Francisco, I definitely need a more forceful horn. I'll make sure to keep tabs on your horn install. Based on how well your install goes, I will probably get a Stebel at some point in the not-too-distant future.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #29
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
We are getting the BMW Aux lights and new yoke switch installed as soon as few more parts come in...we decided on this set up because it looks integrated and the lights are indeed LED. Not cheap but we consider this a wedding present to ourselves. I am looking forward to having proper Aux lights for the dark fall and winter riding.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #30
omekim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
OEM Aux light behaviour

For those with the 2013 OEM Aux Lights -- how do they behave?

For example: Is the switch on the controls yoke a momentary rocker or a fixed toggle? (ie rocker up for on, return to center, rocker down for off). Do the lights only come on with the low beam? What happens when you switch to high beam? Do the aux lights come back on if you leave them on and remove/replace key and restart the bike?

Finally, besides getting the yoke, harness, lights and support brackets, do you know if the dealer had to go in and tweak the bike's computer to recognize the added lights?

I'm wondering about all the above because I'm wondering if I can leverage (hack?) the OEM setup for my own lights. I have already determined the pinout for the yoke wiring, but so far I can't get the bike to respond to me 'pressing' the buttons.

FYI the Left Hand yoke pinout (looking at the two connectors, not the yoke):

8pin (rounded on left)
Top: Horn, Right Signal, Hazard, High Beam
Bottom: Cancel, Left Signal, Common, Info

4pin (notch bottom right)
Aux Light Button1?, Aux Light Button2?, ABS, ESA

(I guess I have to read the directions on attaching an image next...)

omekim screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 03:54 PM
omekim is offline   Reply With Quote