Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #151
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Had my first really wet ride in mine today. 3 hours in the rain, 44 degrees, lots of mud, some fairly deep puddles. Inside my boots, my feet were warm and dry.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #152
xsf18cdf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Question Balance Oiled vs Aerostich Combat Touring

Narrowed down to these two. I'm and EX-motocrosser and my F800 is for touring/exploring/camping so I no longer need a Hi-Point like boot. Looking at comfort, protection and durability.

Thanks,

Gary
xsf18cdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #153
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsf18cdf View Post
Narrowed down to these two. I'm and EX-motocrosser and my F800 is for touring/exploring/camping so I no longer need a Hi-Point like boot. Looking at comfort, protection and durability.

Thanks,

Gary
Hi Gary.

Those two are quite different, thus it is somewhat hard to compare. The A-Stitch is a very minimalist boot with no reinforcements for safety / support, whereas the Midland has extensive protection inserts. Generally speaking, that F800 is a competent bike off-road, and with your background you can get into some fairly rugged terrain. I do not sell the Combats (Andy has earned my respect), but even if I did I would steer you toward a more protective boot than they are.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #154
keep it simple!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Balance vs Midland,also for me the great Q.
Not liking the hesitation of "which pair of boots will I put on?" I want a pair of do-it-alls.
I've 2 bikes (Duke and Freeride) so the boots should be:
- not too stiff on the road and for trialling
- stiff enough for the occassional MX track and XC
- good feeling on the sole (trial) but hard enough for abuse offroad
- enough protection offroad but supple enough for trial and road
- waterproof (but for the occassional 4hours race will my feet be too hot?)
So it's not easy. Maybe Mr.Brian has THE idea?
Another Q: i've read in this thread about goodyear welt construction. What are the + and - of this type soleconstruction vs the normal construction. Is it more waterproof? Is it possible to change the sole (with the sharp pegs on the ORbikes soles takes a lot of abuse...)
Looking forward for some answer.
Kind regards from a cold (-5°Celsius) and covered-with-snow Belgium!
keep it simple! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #155
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple! View Post
Balance vs Midland,also for me the great Q.
Not liking the hesitation of "which pair of boots will I put on?" I want a pair of do-it-alls.
I've 2 bikes (Duke and Freeride) so the boots should be:
- not too stiff on the road and for trialling
- stiff enough for the occassional MX track and XC
- good feeling on the sole (trial) but hard enough for abuse offroad
- enough protection offroad but supple enough for trial and road
- waterproof (but for the occassional 4hours race will my feet be too hot?)
So it's not easy. Maybe Mr.Brian has THE idea?
Another Q: i've read in this thread about goodyear welt construction. What are the + and - of this type soleconstruction vs the normal construction. Is it more waterproof? Is it possible to change the sole (with the sharp pegs on the ORbikes soles takes a lot of abuse...)
Looking forward for some answer.
Kind regards from a cold (-5°Celsius) and covered-with-snow Belgium!
Hello Mr. Keep It Simple!. Thank you for the most challenging question of the day....

A context statement....I am a bit cynical about "do it all" products. Types of riding vary greatly, and the type of equipment needed varies greatly with it. Product managers who proclaim things to "do it all" are usually...wrong.

There are a lot of very different needs...waterproof, road use, the feel of a trials boot, comfort over a 4 hour race, protection over a 4 hour race, etc. The most important criteria in your list is "occassional MX track and XC". For this, I do not think the Midlands are inappropriate. You may get suggestions for some ADV models, but really the only boot that has enough protection for off road racing is an MX boot. Period.

It is a good question. I have tried to parse it and make a suggestion for about a half hour, and keep coming to the same conclusion: that your needs require two pairs of boots. I would suggest a pair of MX boots for your more serious offroad days, and a dual sport boot for road, good sole feel, etc.

AFA the welt construction....they have an important extra component in the sole that adds rigidity, can be resoled. A working theory that I have is that the foot chamber is better shaped, because of one aspect of the production, although no actual production people have confirmed that. Just an observation I have.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 03-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #156
keep it simple!
Gnarly Adventurer

Thx for the answer.
Because it's always better too much protection than too less protection my choice will be between the GX1 or the G React.
Q: the traditional stitch on sole ( GOODYEAR WELT construction ) or new MOLDED WELT SOLE, can both types of soles be changed when used?

Louis
Old 03-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #157
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Quote:
Thx for the answer.
Because it's always better too much protection than too less protection my choice will be between the GX1 or the G React.
Q: the traditional stitch on sole ( GOODYEAR WELT construction ) or new MOLDED WELT SOLE, can both types of soles be changed when used?

Louis
Hello Louis.

Those are good choices. Note that only the welt construction can be resoled.

Buona Fortuna,

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #158
keep it simple!
Gnarly Adventurer

only the welt construction can be resoled.

Do you mean only the Goodyear welt construction (stitched) can be resoled?
Does that mean if i choose the molded welt sole (in Europe we have the GX 1 EV0 model available which I think is very light with it's molded welt sole) and the soles are used due to much standing on the pegs (i.e.trial) i must throw away the boots?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #159
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Quote:
only the welt construction can be resoled.

Do you mean only the Goodyear welt construction (stitched) can be resoled?
Does that mean if i choose the molded welt sole (in Europe we have the GX 1 EV0 model available which I think is very light with it's molded welt sole) and the soles are used due to much standing on the pegs (i.e.trial) i must throw away the boots?
Yes, that is what I mean. For reference, the phrase "molded welt sole" is oxymoronic, more marketing-speak that actual technique.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 03-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #160
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
There's a whole lot of great boots out there that they don't make in size 14, whatever euro size that is. Not sure cuz I don't live there.
Jake Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:43 AM   #161
keep it simple!
Gnarly Adventurer

The GX 1 -evo will be the ticket.
Choice is now: size 46 or 47? Had both sizes on my feet.
Shoe size is 46 with orthopedic insoles en thin socks.
I read gaernes are a little roomy, so Q is: will 46 be ok with orthopedic soles in place of the orginial insole + thicker socks
OR
should i take 47 with originale insole left in place + orthopedic soles + thicker socks. Or will this be too much sole?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #162
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,089
G-Midlands

Am I a genius or what ? First I called Brian & got the straight skinny on the new Gaerne -G-Midland boot,went through the whole routine yady-yada yada, went w/ Brians suggestion on fit, ordered and wallla!! boots arrived one day before scheduled delivery date.

Fit like a glove, no break in, felt like I had them for years. Took off on a loooong ride & experienced no problems in fact these boot felt as good if not better than my really old Penton Hi-Point boots of the seventys(best boot I ever owned by the way)

So if your on the fence about new boots give these a shot, I'm more impressed with these than I was with the SIDI Adv Rains & that is stretch cause SIDI are an impressive boot.

Thanks Brian for the excellent advise & making me a genius at boot selection, NOW --about those decals----

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #163
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,681
Can any Midland owners comment on comfort when standing for the large part of 3-4 hours rides?

I have a pair of Tech-3's, want to find a better dual-sport boot for general use but find myself standing most of the time when riding off-road.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #164
Deliverator
not a replicant

Oddometer: 79
You missed the title

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsf18cdf View Post

Thanks,

Gary
Gary was comparing the Aerostich (Sidi) Combat Touring Boot to the Gaern Balance Oiled, NOT to the G-Midland. They do seem to have a lot in common and I had the same question.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #165
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELSTAFF View Post
Am I a genius or what ? First I called Brian & got the straight skinny on the new Gaerne -G-Midland boot,went through the whole routine yady-yada yada, went w/ Brians suggestion on fit, ordered and wallla!! boots arrived one day before scheduled delivery date.

Fit like a glove, no break in, felt like I had them for years. Took off on a loooong ride & experienced no problems in fact these boot felt as good if not better than my really old Penton Hi-Point boots of the seventys(best boot I ever owned by the way)

So if your on the fence about new boots give these a shot, I'm more impressed with these than I was with the SIDI Adv Rains & that is stretch cause SIDI are an impressive boot.

Thanks Brian for the excellent advise & making me a genius at boot selection, NOW --about those decals----
Hey Jeff,

I wanted to "BUMP" this thread because Brian really is the Guru in fittings. He got me to try and wear a smaller helmet,(Arai XD4) and Viola... It fits like a glove and no headaches at all now! And at a smokin' price. I need to check out these boots.

A big thanks to Brian for all your help!!

Take care, Eric.

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote