Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #91
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post

"Have you been in Mexico too long when you salivate every time you see a goat?"

Uh....that question about drooling when you see a goat????

I think that your intentions regarding your activity with the goat will determine the answer.....

You can always explain to the judge that you were simply trying to help the goat over the fence
hahaha, always dangerous to post anything about goats and sheep. My intentions are honorable
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #92
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Monkey Pants

If you guys see some of these monkey pants in a 3XL Tall ............ get them for me. You know I'm "good for it".

Chabon, I'm enjoying the music. Really enjoyed the guitar duo a lot.

Mike, I noticed your hat a few pages back .............. Soy El Jefe, huh? Es verdad?

Over the last 30 years I've spent several months in many different parts of Mexico. I'm always amazed at the children. They are typically so well behaved, inquisitive, open, engaging, and very kind to, and respectful of, each other. Of course a lot of that charm disappears with the onset of puberty ............ but it's really nice while it lasts.

Nice job on the story and ride report amigos. Thank you so much!

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
The ladies cookin us breakfast over wood fire the next morning
Old 03-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #93
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabon View Post
hahaha, always dangerous to post anything about goats and sheep. My intentions are honorable
Well, you were riding with folks from Wyoming and Idaho.....

This stage of the ride is about Burts Shortcut to Batopilas, and it turned out to be a great shortcut. But first you gotta climb the hills. It's a wash over the 55 mile day, 10.290 ft ascent and 10.300 descent. Not a quick ride either.

I'm only throwing this one in for my wife who thinks I look "muy malo macho".....

I managed to get ahead a few times to document the riders.....

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #94
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

The views are tremendous and the countryside is stunning, photos don't do it justice. With the elevation changes, you move from microclimate to microclimate, first time I've seen the cactus with the pines. And each hillside is its own grouping of plants. Hard to imagine building a life and home but it's here for those folks.....

Not a lot of water but it must be enough....

A bridge to somewhere......and traffic to boot.......

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #95
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Next thing you know, we're climbing again....it's not just one canyon, it's a bunch of them.......

And then we're onto a hill top community that has another coffee break stop, as well as the backyard shortcut down the canyon to Batopilas....

If you drop me, it will be your ending you big gringo.....

Dusty days ride.......

Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #96
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

I had to be pretty well balanced to get this next set of photos....and I should be charging Beto, Miguel, Gregorio and Chabon for making them look like such daredevil riders....tight, steep hairpins....

Such concentration, such flair......

And the scenery doesn't suck either.......

There isn't any wildlife beyond an occasional squirrel and the birds, anything on the hoof belongs to some ranchero....and the water crossings were wimpy in this dry season.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #97
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Batopilas must be just around this next corner.......no?

.....Yup, it's just down there.......

At least his memorial got a great view.....

Does Burt even know how to frown.......

Old 03-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #98
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,495
Great job Ken, thanks for staring and keeping this going, although you failed to mention how the overloaded DR supplied parts and tools to repair the mighty KTM. Great fun gregg
805gregg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #99
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Warning, items in your view might seem closer than they really are....

Bridges? We don't need no stinking bridges.....

Fresh concrete with a nice truck rut in one side of it....these are vados to keep the road from a total washout during the rainy season.

Daddy, can we stop for icecream?

Gotta get to Juanitas son, there's Tecate to cool us down there.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #100
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
Great job Ken, thanks for staring and keeping this going, although you failed to mention how the overloaded DR supplied parts and tools to repair the mighty KTM. Great fun gregg
Read back a few pages to El Fuerte....I did give you credit....but you forgot to bring the FI pump and shim set I needed to keep that mighty 690 on the dirt. I wasn't going to tell them how I needed a jump start every morning since it doesn't have a kicker.....
Old 03-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #101
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

The Tecate Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Read back a few pages to El Fuerte....I did give you credit....but you forgot to bring the FI pump and shim set I needed to keep that mighty 690 on the dirt. I wasn't going to tell them how I needed a jump start every morning since it doesn't have a kicker.....

Yea, but the worst part was replacing the crankshaft at each 300 mile oil change interval!

I thinks it was in La Lajitas that Ken and I decided that we should get the Mexican Homeland Security to work to our benefit. They had a far reaching hand held radio network and passed information down the road to each town as we approached.

IMGP2343.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

After the meager supplies in La Lajitas we figured that the possibility existed that the next hamlet we stopped at might not have enough Tecate or Chickens to feed our human engines. We quietly let one of the english speaking guys know that we needed massive supplies of cold tecate and hot chicken supplied upstream of us. That night I heard a convoy of SUV's heading down the road, I knew we would be okay from here on out.

The same english speaking guy offered to take us to a local's only waterfall, but we bugged out of town early in the morning and stood him up. Maybe next time.....
There is a small town about 6 miles past La Lajitas, if I were to do this route again the town has a hotel, tiendas, restaurant, and reportedly internet.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #102
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

More tracks

Having trouble making google maps cooperate with embedded maps with kml tracks so here are some links that should work.

El Fuerte to La Lajitas (multiple pages, click on next when map opens to see more of the track)

La Lajitas to Morelos

chabon screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 07:58 PM
Old 03-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #103
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Quote:
Yea, but the worst part was replacing the crankshaft at each 300 mile oil change interval!

I thinks it was in La Lajitas that Ken and I decided that we should get the Mexican Homeland Security to work to our benefit. They had a far reaching hand held radio network and passed information down the road to each town as we approached.

After the meager supplies in La Lajitas we figured that the possibility existed that the next hamlet we stopped at might not have enough Tecate or Chickens to feed our human engines. We quietly let one of the english speaking guys know that we needed massive supplies of cold tecate and hot chicken supplied upstream of us. That night I heard a convoy of SUV's heading down the road, I knew we would be okay from here on out.

The same english speaking guy offered to take us to a local's only waterfall, but we bugged out of town early in the morning and stood him up. Maybe next time.....
There is a small town about 6 miles past La Lajitas, if I were to do this route again the town has a hotel, tiendas, restaurant, and reportedly internet.
........every time I changed the oil, I had to rebuild the top end....POS race bike.....who would think of it as a dual-sport.....or me a mechanic......

No videos available of the Land of Gorch, gotta buy the DVD, the Volcano always asked for payment in terms of chickens.....that'll be 3 chickens for an answer to your question.....long belch........like me after 4 Tecates.... BTW, who slipped in the Coke can ringer......vende usted tequila?

I would love to see the waterfall but it was the dry season....another reason for an early November repeat.....

Quote:
Having trouble making google maps cooperate with embedded maps with kml tracks so here are some links that should work.

El Fuerte to La Lajitas (multiple pages, click on next when map opens to see more of the track)

La Lajitas to Morelos
Dude, you should be charging for that content.......I tried to do something like it and failed miserably.......I think I need to call Homeland Security to get your computer skills sanctioned.....and I will mess with your links.......if I can........

The Walrus screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 08:17 PM
Old 03-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #104
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

One other item on tonights list....did I ever say thanks for bringing that "amigo" liter of Tequila across the border?

It's currently being put to good use!

And since nobody has objected to the insertion of a little music, this one is going out to my wife.......

Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #105
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Toilet seat and hot water, living the dream.

On to Batopilas, Burt knows a shortcut

IMGP2371.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2374.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Time for cookies and coffee. Bought more water and got ready for what was a rough trail last time Burt took it.

IMGP2380.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Guess they fixed it, pretty good shape!

IMGP2383.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Are we that big or is that church just small?

IMGP2387.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Batopilas just up the river and around the bend. Beer blinders are on!

IMGP2389.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Sure glad they put in a new bridge

IMGP2392.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Lots of new concrete road at the mission at Satevo

IMGP2395.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Required photo of Juanita'a Hotel courtyard

IMGP2397.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Redevelopment is happening. Getting ready for the new paved road and all the tourists to come.

IMGP2401.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2404.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2405.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

New Hotel

IMGP2408.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

WTF?

IMGP2409.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2411.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

New museum in town. Guide was practicing his english on us. Interesting stop, recommended.

IMGP2414.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2415.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Learned that Batopilas was the second city to get electricity in Mexico, right behind Mexico city. Had to do with the mining operations I would imagine

IMGP2416.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Some more independent study for you students out there...
http://www.calnative.com/stories/n_bato.htm

Carolina's for some dinner.

IMGP2421.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2423.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Will be heading to Urique tomorrow.....

Here is todays elevation graph

morelos to batopilas elevation graph by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr