Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #1681
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,515
I love the way people within the Ducati circles talk about one another. It reminds me of the aviation community (the good parts). There are names that you can say to almost anyone in the aviation industry, and they will know who you are talking about. The Ducati people are that way, and I like that a lot. Shows passion, loyalty and community. This is just one of the things that will draw people in, and keep them in.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #1682
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Shows passion, loyalty and community. This is just one of the things that will draw people in, and keep them in.
And exactly what ADV is all about too, thus why hardcore DS ADV guys can appreciate the adventures of an Italian Supermodel as much as the adventures in the Sibirsky Extreme rr's, so keep it coming Anti.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #1683
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Finally finished reading your ride report and the entire thread! I'm so happy post-adventure you have found success and recognition. Truly deserved.

Thanks for taking the exhaustive time to write a report while ON the journey. I'm not sure if I'd have the discipline to do that.

If you wrote a book, I'd buy it.

Thanks,

John
The KTM is the kind of bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant. It's the kind of bike that, from the moment you light the fire, you know is downright nasty and makes you want to meet in the Burger King bathroom and lick its butthole.
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #1684
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJohn View Post
If you wrote a book, I'd buy it.
He did; its in his signature
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #1685
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpod999 View Post
I don't know why, but seeing you refer to your Panigale as the base model seems very comical to me.
I laughed out loud at this one. Progress demands everything current become obsolete.

DCRider: Being accepted on ADV has been a 'holy shit' moment for me since day one. ADV riders are the most hardcore of the hardcore. I really thought I might be told to get the hell off the forum for starting a Superbike-related R/R. Another example of how ya never learn unless you experiment and take risks.

Hey John--as RxZ stated, yes, I've got a book out there....but it's a coffee-table style book (you can preview the whole thing on Blurb). I've been working on a novel, too. The beginning and the end (and a lot of random scenes in the middle) are finished. Still going to be months before it's anywhere near completion.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #1686
3B43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Meeting in Pittsburg...PA, or CA? Too bad, was looking forward to swapping stories and track time.
3B43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #1687
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Yeah I guess I meant more of a novel. Glad it's in the works
The KTM is the kind of bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant. It's the kind of bike that, from the moment you light the fire, you know is downright nasty and makes you want to meet in the Burger King bathroom and lick its butthole.
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #1688
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
I do think that your "Fuck it" attitude was a learned behavior, right?
There are a lot of outside influences that can shape one, was it one for you?
Spill the beans!
I know, I personally had lots of outside influences that made me miss some great opportunities, personal demons which took a few years to get over, human losses that shaped me, and little ones that make me more cautious......still I probably wouldn't change 99% of it, because it makes me who I am. I say 99% only because to me there is no absolute in life. Well maybe in math.lol
First off, forgive me for replying to a post from page 48, but I'm just working my way through this RR (EPIC is the word) and this topic is one that is dear to my heart.

AH's "sweat equity" observations are spot on the money, contingent upon an individual being able to become self-aware enough to overcome limiting programming, e.g., "You'll never amount to anything", etc. We all really do have equal opportunity to rise to our individual peak performance, but limitations are programmed into us along our development that can impede our ability to achieve our peak.

Personally, I think the meditative "in the moment" aspect of riding is entirely conducive to arriving at such self-awareness and helping oneself to overcome limiting thinking. Opportunities aren't granted by life -- that is disempowering and itself limiting thinking. Opportunities are created by right thought and right action creating synchronicity and serendipity in our daily experience. The choices we make (programmed or self-aware) along our journey define the life we create for ourselves.

In becoming self-aware and striving to patiently overcome our demons, we bootstrap serendipity to deliver unto us opportunities that will necessarily change our lives. We may not be Einsteins, but we each have the capacity to rise to our ultimate potential. It is up to each of us to step up and take on that challenge.

~~~~~

Thanks for an epic and inspiring RR. Back to page 48 I go.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #1689
eightangrybears
Daily adventurer

Oddometer: 31
no offense

I just spent the last few days (at work) reading this whole report...start to finish. It's really pretty fantastic. Your ability to get up and go is something I strive for. Your attitude towards new people and experiences is one that everyone should strive for. The world would be a much better place.

I have to say, though, trust7's comments nearly ruined this whole report for me (I hope you are still reading). If you read through this whole report, you can tell that our hero, the AntiHero, has a truly positive attitude towards people. He, aside from one occurrence in Detroit (not to say that book's cover isn't exactly what it's like inside), played it cool all the time, not judging or worrying about being judged by others. I know you want to get your piece in there (trust7) about you being right about whatever blah blah blah, but in essence, you are wrong. You were a membership away from being one of those people that posts racist insults on youtube videos for no reason. Why does anyone care about your point in all of this? Maybe PM antihero next time because all it did was try to make you look better at being a person than Dennis, which is exactly the kind of point you were trying to make (but in reverse). Let him think what he wants. Let us think what we want (I think that's the point Dennis is trying to make). As long as you are true to yourself, FTW, right? That doesn't mean that douchebags aren't still douchebags, but I think trusting yourself is key, not trying to persuade others to believe like you...sure, you may be right about all the blah blah that you wrote (I think 2 of your posts outworded 60 pages of Dennis') but why write it? It was the largest distraction from the whole story in the 113 pages so far and it was AFTER the trip. Just PM him next time and let us read what people really want to read in ride reports...THE REPORT!!!
1991 Kawasaki KLR 650
1981 Kawasaki 440 LTD
eightangrybears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #1690
eightangrybears
Daily adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Kriega gear

I also would love to put my two cents in about Kriega...awesome gear and awesome folks. I live in New Orleans (what seems like aside from the track day with ducati and DV, your favorite picture taking spot) and went on a trip recently. Michael at Britkit was amazing. I asked him on a wednesday if I could get a bag (US-30) A) at a discount and B) by that friday. He basically said "Absolutely", called the manufacturer (or distributor) in atlanta, hooked up free shipping and sent me a bunch of stickers to toss on the bike, too. The gear was flawless and awesome and I am not surprised at all that he/they sent you gear. I was almost shocked you DIDN'T have the R-20 or R-30 for the trip...seems like that would have been super handy.

Dennis, your trip was awesome, your words are profound, your photos are intense and beautiful and your journey (mental and physical) was inspiring all around. If I had half the courage and enthusiasm you do, I would be twice the person I want to be. Thanks for the ride and hope to see more in the future!

PS...I am an artist also (I certainly live in the right city for it). I would love to talk art trade because I had the inkling when you got back to LA that the pieces you took pictures of were yours and that was totally confirmed by the storage picture with all the canvases in there (looks a lot like my storage locker minus a brand new ducati). I would love to do a great one of the bike or the bike and you somewhere. Check out my stuff if you feel like it (www.eightangrybears.com) and PM me if you are interested.

Thanks again for the great RR
1991 Kawasaki KLR 650
1981 Kawasaki 440 LTD
eightangrybears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #1691
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Trane Francks: "In becoming self-aware and striving to patiently overcome our demons, we bootstrap serendipity to deliver unto us opportunities that will necessarily change our lives. We may not be Einsteins, but we each have the capacity to rise to our ultimate potential. It is up to each of us to step up and take on that challenge."
Perfectly stated. Thanks for the contribution. (Jealous--I wish I was still on page 48, too--enjoy the rest of the ride!)

eightangrybears: I always enjoy a slight bit of satisfaction when I hear someone read the whole ride report at work. Though I do really love the company I work for and feel I owe them a lot, I know we're the exception.

Really enjoyed perusing your artwork. And yes--your suspicion was correct. Those paintings you've seen were mine. I missed them a great deal while I was gone--and miss them even now, as they're all still in storage. I left a few pieces in spots around the country, but not all were exactly legal. A couple are even cleverly hidden in pics I posted. Sneaky sneaky. >)

Sending PM.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #1692
BenZvan
N7

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
I left a few pieces in spots around the country, but not all were exactly legal. A couple are even cleverly hidden in pics I posted. Sneaky sneaky. >)
And now I go back and look at all the pictures again...
BenZvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #1693
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,500
I’ve done it. I have completely read your new millennium episodes of “Then Came Bronson" in just four evenings.
Did the Houston show end up on the cutting room floor? LOL
Agree: "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go".
So, the latest please, how do I obtain your autographed printed book?
Thanks for all your effort!

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 AM   #1694
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenZvan View Post
I guess my point was that the guy wearing a full racing suit is maybe just being practical since he knows he's not any good at riding (though trying to do a stoppie on a public street is pretty dumb (but then people do dumb things)). And that the fat guy in a ninja suit knows he's not a ninja but he's being honest with the world in shouting out his love of all things ninja.
I really like the way you stated that. Well and truly said, sir.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:48 AM   #1695
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trust7 View Post
Though I can tell you dressing up as some character at a Game convention, GENCON or otherwise is no facet of weakness or lack of commitment, if you doubt me on this try to make yourself do it sometime, I have been going to GENCON 10 years or more and still never have been able to make myself do it. That act takes guts the likes of which you can't imagine.
I hear what you're sayin', but I don't get it. You decided that dressing up for an occasion is difficult exactly why? Playing a role for an audience (and/or yourself) is only as difficult as we decide it is. My take: If you truly accept your love for the genre, then dressing up as a character and going to an event in that persona is not only easy, it's joyful. (I fronted my blues band as a monk in full kimono and hakama one year, staying in-role for ~6 hours straight to the point it prompted people to ask my best friend whether I was really a monk. It was a riot.)

Not that I'm a gamer, but I see absolutely no difference to being totally in the moment and enjoying your moment as Darth Whomever at a CON versus the same "fuck it" that spurs one to get on a postie bike and ride around the world. Acceptance and self-awareness. When you know the role you're playing and fully immerse yourself in it, the experience can be very self-illuminating; after all, one cannot play a role well without tapping into elements of foundational truth along the way.