Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2011, 04:36 AM   #16
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,787
Order the DVD from the Bay and donate what you save from buying it from BMW to charity to feel better about it.
Seriously, the Haynes covers things pretty much as well as the DVD does and I have yet to find anything that would be considered a "gross error".
Does anyone have an example or two of the "gross errors"?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #17
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,169
I prefer the BMW manuals (or any manufacturer's) vs any DIY brand book. I am a very experienced mechanic and don't need the hand holding level of instruction that the DIY manuals provide. I also don't like when they fail to include a particular piece of information or a proceedure as they have deemed it beyond the ability of the home mechanic. I'll decide what's beyond me thank you, just give me the data. In fact, just give me the critical information, data and specs period.

I don't have an issue with the digital format of the BMW manual. I do have a computer in my shop (old desktop from the house that still works just fine). I print out the relevant sections for quick reference as I work, they get saved for the next time unless they are too soiled and smudged with oily dirty finger prints. The downside of buying the BMW manual, is they don't give you updates like the dealers get. But thats the same for a paper manual.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #18
MOBiWan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I wish the Hayes manual was in PDF format so I could put it on my iPad when I go out to the garage to work on the bike..

Mike
MOBiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #19
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,997
Bmw dvd

One problem with both the paper and the DVD is that when BMW changes stuff ... we don't have the latest news....

I know that, for example, the clutch parts have changed and can not be mixed, the torque spec. for the front brake rotor has changed ... some of the changes are important stuff..............

I have Rev. #4 of the BMW DVD.
Anybody have a newer version?
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #20
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,260
I bet you do have the clutch info. Go to the section: removing the clutch driver. 21 21 000. Then look at the preparatory work. Click on removing the pressure plate. There you have it and the reason I do not like this CD.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #21
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Order the DVD from the Bay and donate what you save from buying it from BMW to charity to feel better about it.
Seriously, the Haynes covers things pretty much as well as the DVD does and I have yet to find anything that would be considered a "gross error".
Does anyone have an example or two of the "gross errors"?

Check out the thread started about the manual about this time last year: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632285

These posts specifically are people who found errors, others comment it may be possible for torque values to be different between manuals.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....0&postcount=14
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....8&postcount=24
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=16

Also... a huge advantage to the BMW manual is the CAD drawings and exploded diagrams for the bike. Pictures in the Haynes manual don't do it for me (I have one for my SV650), low quality black and white pictures on crappy paper IMO.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #22
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblefish View Post
You can run the DVD on a mac if you use an emulator. I used Parallels with a copy of XP I think it was. There was a thread about it on here somewhere.
True, but I dn't want to pay for a PC OS on top of the DVD just so I can look at it. making the DVD incompatible with Mac is a typical BMW thing. One of the things I don't appreciate about the company.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #23
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post

Also... a huge advantage to the BMW manual is the CAD drawings and exploded diagrams for the bike. Pictures in the Haynes manual don't do it for me (I have one for my SV650), low quality black and white pictures on crappy paper IMO.
Leave you that. The pics in the Haynes Manual are indeed crap.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #24
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBiWan View Post
I wish the Hayes manual was in PDF format so I could put it on my iPad when I go out to the garage to work on the bike..
Do you already own the Haynes manual? If so, I might have a solution for you... PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I have Rev. #4 of the BMW DVD.
Anybody have a newer version?
I have the same version you do, but my brother has version 5. When he gets around to it he's going to rip an ISO for me so I'll have the most updated version...
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #25
mrmrva
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 30
If someone really wants he can print out BMW manual it just takes a lot of time to create good pdf from CD version.
mrmrva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #26
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
DVD manual

Has anyone used this dvd manual?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Motorcyc...70690747188%26
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #27
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
Has anyone used this dvd manual?
It looks like the real McCoy! On eBay UK I have seen some that also look legit going for less money.

Make sure it is the latest revision level !!

BMW does not provide any registration process nor updates to registered owners which is a shame.
AFAIK the latest revision level is SIX

With regards to the digitized PDF version that would seem difficult. The actual data is stored on the DVD in some compressed / proprietary format and when you go to print out a procedure it gets "customized" based on the installed options that you have installed. There does not seem to be an easy way to just "dump" it to a printer.
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #28
JRose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
I prefer the BMW manuals (or any manufacturer's) vs any DIY brand book. I am a very experienced mechanic and don't need the hand holding level of instruction that the DIY manuals provide. I also don't like when they fail to include a particular piece of information or a proceedure as they have deemed it beyond the ability of the home mechanic. I'll decide what's beyond me thank you, just give me the data. In fact, just give me the critical information, data and specs period.

I don't have an issue with the digital format of the BMW manual. I do have a computer in my shop (old desktop from the house that still works just fine). I print out the relevant sections for quick reference as I work, they get saved for the next time unless they are too soiled and smudged with oily dirty finger prints. The downside of buying the BMW manual, is they don't give you updates like the dealers get. But thats the same for a paper manual.

Hate to necropost, but I'm ordering a '13 F800GS and want to start boning up on my maintenance stuff.

I would rather have a legit manual, preferably from the factory. If the DVD is all that is available, I can make due, but with all the doo-dads and electronics, I would really prefer a factory manual with electrical flow charts and such. I prefer to do all work myself, as well as have an intimate knowledge of how the machine I carry miles off into nowhere-ville works, or doesn't work...
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #29
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,787
I haven't found schematics for the circuits on the factory manual disc, but the Haynes has them in the back.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #30
JRose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I haven't found schematics for the circuits on the factory manual disc, but the Haynes has them in the back.
I might check out the Haynes manual.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote