Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #61
Retics OP
n00b

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by freyke View Post
I've only had one aftermarket seat on my 2011 GS - a Sargent low with a Alaska Leather sheepskin on top. This is an awsome combination and works well for me :)
Any problems with the leather?
Retics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:50 AM   #62
freyke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retics View Post
http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/s...-Deluxe/Detail

No problems as the sheepskin is natrually water resistant - it just runs off on most cases... I commute most days so it's not like I've never observed its performance in foul weather.
freyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #63
navsnipe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retics View Post
I have an Alaska leather sheepskin as well. If it's raining I usually take it off since it gets a little swampy once soaked. Just shake/ring it out and no problems.

It works really nice on hot days to give some space between you and the vinyl of the seat. I had kept it on my last 3 bikes, except rain, all the time. It made my stock GS seat tolerable on a 1700 mile ride last July.

In my experience the sheepskin pad with a good seat is a great combination.
navsnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #64
freyke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
I keep a "the absorber"

Just dab up any moisture on the sheepkin - it's dry as a bone in a jiffy.
freyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #65
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
sent you a pm
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #66
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,717
Sargent
Old 03-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #67
Botch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
I have a Tall Top Saddlery seat on my Yamaha FZ-6, like it a lot. TS makes their seats "to-order" and it took a long time to get (from France; it did go through Le Mans.... )
However, I'm a bit impatient to do some long rides on my new '09 Boxer, so I just ordered the "Comfort Seat - High End Actively Breathing" seat from Touratech; they had one in stock and it should be here in a week or so.
I'll let you guys know how it works.
Botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #68
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by navsnipe View Post
Sounds like they are honoring orders up to and including the 17th. Give them a call, that's what I did. Since my order was already shipped they credited my credit card. As others have already said here they have great customer service.
I must be the exception, no discount for me. Got my 2nd confirmation today and my bill went UP $35.
I working Nights so I can't call. I had to send an email to ask why. Hope it's an error or oversight, Not impressed!

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #69
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
My new-to-me 2004 GSA had a Corbin, and was missing the stock seat. I did 750 miles in that seat in a day and a half, and I have to say I have mixed feelings. My rear was usually pretty comfortable on the seat, but I didn't like how low the seat was (and I'm only 5'10") as it made my knees bend more than I liked. I'm going to get lowered pegs and see how much that helps. I also like to be able to move around on the seat and the prominent dish for the rider kept me stuck in one spot.

Since I never carry a pillion, I think I'm just going to replace it with a stock seat if I can find one. Maybe keep the Corbin around in case it grows on me more.

Geof
Old 03-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #70
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
My new-to-me 2004 GSA had a Corbin, and was missing the stock seat. I did 750 miles in that seat in a day and a half, and I have to say I have mixed feelings. My rear was usually pretty comfortable on the seat, but I didn't like how low the seat was (and I'm only 5'10") as it made my knees bend more than I liked. I'm going to get lowered pegs and see how much that helps. I also like to be able to move around on the seat and the prominent dish for the rider kept me stuck in one spot.

Since I never carry a pillion, I think I'm just going to replace it with a stock seat if I can find one. Maybe keep the Corbin around in case it grows on me more.

Geof
IMHO The Corbin on the 1100/1150 is THE best seat for comfort! I hated the weight of the seat pan (fiberglass, really?), but the seat was great!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #71
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,210
I must be a hard ass, I'm still running the stock seat with an Airvent cushion. At 86K, it's starting to show some cracking around the edges so I was thinking of the Seat Concepts and recover it myself. Put one on my DR and it seems good enough.

I had some issues with my Goldwing stock seat so tried different seats, ended up with a bead rider on the OEM. Trouble with seats is, what is comfortable to one is pure posterior torture to another. The only thing our asses have in common is they are all cracked down the middle. To find the one for you, you must experiment and that takes time and money.

Taking someone else's recommendation on seats ranks right up there with asking what oil should I use.
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #72
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Skies View Post
I must be a hard ass, I'm still running the stock seat with an Airvent cushion. At 86K, it's starting to show some cracking around the edges so I was thinking of the Seat Concepts and recover it myself. Put one on my DR and it seems good enough.

I had some issues with my Goldwing stock seat so tried different seats, ended up with a bead rider on the OEM. Trouble with seats is, what is comfortable to one is pure posterior torture to another. The only thing our asses have in common is they are all cracked down the middle. To find the one for you, you must experiment and that takes time and money.

Taking someone else's recommendation on seats ranks right up there with asking what oil should I use.
There is some truth to that, but hearing what people like and why, combined with similar hights/weights and riding styles could help narrow the search.

BTW The SC seat is pretty good, and easy to install!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote