Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #721
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineroot View Post
How the heck are we going to download GPS tracks in the Bay of LA etc.?
NORRA will have a computer setup on-site to download the tracks to your GPS. They may also provide a chip with the course on it. That detail is still to be worked out.

Quote:
Half of my crew are NOT running a roadbook setup, just line of sight and GPS on their bikes like last year.
Every year NORRA has been inching towards a true roadbook style rally. I think that trend will continue. I agree it would have been better for them to get this straight earlier. Like with all Baja racing, everyone has to adapt to the unexpected. If you don't want to purchase a fancy roadbook holder, do the GPS odometer and duct tape thing, or buy a tupperware box as many have done in other rally events, and tape it on. Here are a few photos of "budget" roadbook holders:

HogWild screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 08:25 AM
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #722
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahombre View Post
Dang, I was hoping the course would be released prior to the race. We were planning on having a couple chase crews staged. But now, where do we tell them to meet us? Especially a problem with limited and or no communication. The "fun" level for the chase crew just sunk a little. However the fun level and cost to ride a moto just went up, about 800.00 if you get a road book setup. I'm still gonna have fun. When the GPS track goes away somewhere along the peninsula, I'll stop and have a bite to eat and wait for someone to come along that looks like they might know what their doing and tag along in the dust. Easy....
your support truck will drop you at the Start Take Pics the can meet you all day on day one. Then has to go early on day two from LA Bay to get ahead of you for support thru out Day two, you will need 1 or 2 remote pits on day 2 depending on you fuel tank size.
Day three and four are support truck easy
Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #723
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
Roadbook Holder

http://www.raiddesigns.com/en/produc...ok-holder.html

I bought one of these manual roadbook holders for $70 deliverd to Boston. Took about a week to get it.

Not sure I'd want to be manually advancing the roadbook at the speeds you guys ride across the desert, though. But it's a possible solution for those not wanting to drop several hundred bucks on a motorized unit and mount.

Quote:
How the heck are we going to download GPS tracks in the Bay of LA etc.?

Is there internet there?

Half of my crew are NOT running a roadbook setup, just line of sight and GPS on their bikes like last year.

Seems a little late in the game to be changing the format.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #724
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Dang, I was hoping the course would be released prior to the race. We were planning on having a couple chase crews staged. But now, where do we tell them to meet us? Especially a problem with limited and or no communication. The "fun" level for the chase crew just sunk a little. However the fun level and cost to ride a moto just went up, about 800.00 if you get a road book setup. I'm still gonna have fun. When the GPS track goes away somewhere along the peninsula, I'll stop and have a bite to eat and wait for someone to come along that looks like they might know what their doing and tag along in the dust. Easy....
Ken said there will be a map that shows all the places the course meets the highway (generally the start and finish of each Special). I was told the rules don't allow crew support ON the Specials, so you have to do that at the highway anyway. So, your crew plan should not be affected by the changes.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #725
az45
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Wile there at it, the should get rid of bikes with single rear shocks, push button starters, water cooled engines and maybe even Camelbacks! Or maybe to make it easier, limit it to bikes built before 1967!

I drive a single seater and have no room for 8 pages of the roadbook taped to my dash or the time to buy, install or learn how to use a roll chart.

If the bike guys want to use roll charts only, they should. I don't think there's a car racer that would see any benefit.

photo 2811_zps459c803f.jpg
Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #726
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by az45 View Post
Wile there at it, the should get rid of bikes with single rear shocks, push button starters, water cooled engines and maybe even Camelbacks! Or maybe to make it easier, limit it to bikes built before 1967!

I drive a single seater and have no room for 8 pages of the roadbook taped to my dash or the time to buy, install or learn how to use a roll chart.
If the bike guys want to use roll charts only, they should. I don't think there's a car racer that would see any benefit.
You have tons of room!!!
Look in the middle of your steering wheel.

There are 33 bikes that you would get rid off????
and how many single seat cars??? 4 maybe...
I think the Bikes would win on this $$$$$$

Anyone!!! can go fast tracing a GPS track............
It takes skill to use a road book !!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #727
Idahombre
Likes easy girls!

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Ken said there will be a map that shows all the places the course meets the highway (generally the start and finish of each Special). I was told the rules don't allow crew support ON the Specials, so you have to do that at the highway anyway. So, your crew plan should not be affected by the changes.
I guess we might have to change our plans a little, no biggie. Whose ever had a plan that worked in Baja anyway??
I talked Anna Cody into pitting for me (nice change) She and a couple friends were leaving a few days ahead of us to enjoy some Baja and set up at a predetermined location. Hopefully I can get the highway crossing locations ahead of time, if not, then we'll just adapt. This is the type of stuff that makes racing in Baja so dang interesting, flying by the seat of your pants stuff.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #728
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:

Roadbooks are not a "bike" thing. In a proper rally, everyone uses the roadbook, including all the cars.

I see a nice spot for the roadbook on the lower half of the dash above your right leg, hanging down onto your leg. It's not perfect, but I think it it would work fine in the one affected course section.

This isn't a typical Baja race. It's a rally. NORRA wants to differentiate themselves and their events from all the others. The rally format is growing in popularity, and NORRA seems to be leaning that way. It isn't about what makes navigation easy. It's actually somewhat the opposite. It's an added challenge. A move away from the "Wussification” of off-road racing, going back towards its roots. Now you have to THINK about where you're going, more along the lines of the original Mexican 1000, where the course wasn't marked, and there was no such thing as a GPS.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #729
Idahombre
Likes easy girls!

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
your support truck will drop you at the Start Take Pics the can meet you all day on day one. Then has to go early on day two from LA Bay to get ahead of you for support thru out Day two, you will need 1 or 2 remote pits on day 2 depending on you fuel tank size.
Day three and four are support truck easy
We (#151,#208) decided to run the big tanks. I have the 6 gallon and my buddy has a 5 gallon. I'm thinking that should carry us through the remote sections. Plus we will have a couple gallon jugs in the chase in case we don't think we have enough fuel for the longer sections, depending on the course changes. Just strap on a gallon and go!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #730
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:

I tried to tell everyone what was coming when I posted these two things a couple of weeks ago, but nobody caught on...
If it was known, then why not just tell us? Why would they sit on the info until the last minute? I'm glad its in there, don't get me wrong, but why do it this way?
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #731
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I guess we might have to change our plans a little, no biggie. Whose ever had a plan that worked in Baja anyway??
I talked Anna Cody into pitting for me (nice change) She and a couple friends were leaving a few days ahead of us to enjoy some Baja and set up at a predetermined location. Hopefully I can get the highway crossing locations ahead of time, if not, then we'll just adapt. This is the type of stuff that makes racing in Baja so dang interesting, flying by the seat of your pants stuff.

she still can !!!!
dont sweat it !!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #732
az45
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I'm a bike guy too(own 7), I just also happen to race cars.

NORRA is already different than any other desert race, that's why I'm doing it.

If I'm looking at a road book and odometer, I'm not looking out for guys like you on bikes trying to figure out which way to go.

What happens when someone makes a wrong turn? The go backwards on the race course.

If you want to navigate with a road book, go for it! Dont worry about someone having an advantage by using GPS because you're not treating it as a race anyways.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #733
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm a bike guy too(own 7), I just also happen to race cars.

NORRA is already different than any other desert race, that's why I'm doing it.

If I'm looking at a road book and odometer, I'm not looking out for guys like you on bikes trying to figure out which way to go.

What happens when someone makes a wrong turn? The go backwards on the race course.

If you want to navigate with a road book, go for it! Dont worry about someone having an advantage by using GPS because you're not treating it as a race anyways.
If you are talking to me???
I am treating it as a race!!!!!

Dont sweat it ! just have a good time and be safe!!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #734
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Warning just a reminder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ICO rallys are set in KILOMETERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you must re set them to miles.....

in less the roadbooks are set up for both!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #735
Maineroot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
OK cool. I showed up last year with just a camel back and made it to the finish!

It's all part of the adventure, the unknown.

We will make it work for our team. Can't wait.

Quote:
NORRA will have a computer setup on-site to download the tracks to your GPS. They may also provide a chip with the course on it. That detail is still to be worked out.

Every year NORRA has been inching towards a true roadbook style rally. I think that trend will continue. I agree it would have been better for them to get this straight earlier. Like with all Baja racing, everyone has to adapt to the unexpected. If you don't want to purchase a fancy roadbook holder, do the GPS odometer and duct tape thing, or buy a tupperware box as many have done in other rally events, and tape it on. Here are a few photos of "budget" roadbook holders:

#34 MX1K
TEAM GREENWOOD: Kali Protectives, Hammer Nutrition
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages, Darco Boot, ATOMIC MOTO,
Klim Riding Gear, Flexx Bars, Seat Concepts Seats, CJ DESIGNS PEGS, FORMA
BOOTS, Tj's Cycle, Austin TX
Maineroot is offline   Reply With Quote