Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
new tires for my scooter, advice?

HI,

I now I should know better about asking this question, what tire to get? how ever I am a noob at tires for scooters, for DP I know what I like and brands and such.

So I am closing on having to replace the rear tire and since yesterday I had a OOOOSHIIT moment with the front I figure I would replace both at the same time. Since my Beat goes 40-45 mph tops, there is no need for track oriented tires, but I would like something that last and has good grip even in wet (here is where I had my moment).

So please comment, and yes I know Cortez you said these tires where crap on wet stuff, I just don't ride when it is raining but a broken tube spill a lot of water on that curve and I almost lost the front.

Gracias

Damasovi

BTW i need 10" tires
Old 03-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,328
i favor the kenda k761s for a good all around tyre
Old 03-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,438
How about posting what you ve got beat? 50cc Brand , tire size it's got on it and then we can help.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 506
Vee Rubber makes a decent tire at a good price, but I'm not sure if they are sold in Mexico.
Any of the Euro brands should be fine, but they tend to wear out quicker than the Asian ones. Kenda is a good tire that combines long wear and good road adhesion in slick conditions.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
I'm running Michelin S1's in 3.50-10 and am very happy with them. I bought them after reading a lot of good reviews.

They weren't cheap, but I don't believe in going cheap on the part of the scooter that separates me from the pavement.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,949
Michelin.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
thanks everybody, I will be buying tires in the USA as it is much cheaper and no problem to go there and back..

I saw this Pireli, what do you think?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...oter-Tire.aspx

They look cheap and I have confidence in the brand. I will also look into Michelins, and I do not mind to pay a little more for better tires since I know they can be the differences between me and the road, and they will last 1 to 2 years (not many miles on a city scooter)

One more question, I think (I need to read the manual or tires) that the size I need are 3.00 r10 would a 120-90r10 fit? I saw the kendas and like the design for more off road... but I worry about how they fit.

Thanks

Damasovi
Old 03-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 590
re: Pirelli...

I just bought a Pirelli GTS24 to replace the OE tire (same) on my Vespa. Very sticky and good handling tires. I got 4k out of the rear which I don't think is too bad on a scoot like this. $60. @Motorcycle Superstore.
I like Pirellis generally, and have had good luck with them on many different kinds of bikes.
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
I bought Reggaes for one scooter and Boppers for the other. Both by Michelin. So far I have only used the Reggaes, and like them very much for their grip on irregular surfaces. Good prices and so far I am very happy. The guy in Germany who recommended them said the Boppers are a great street tire, they really stick. When mud season ends, I will try them out. I live 2.5 miles from pavement.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,512
I tried four different brands on my Vino 125, couldn't tell much difference. The wide whitewalls, which it appears you cannot get any more, wore the fastest. Apparently Genuine had them made especially for the Buddy Internationals (they were tubeless, and the same size as the Vino) but I can't find them anymore. Despite the fact that EVERYBODY seems to hate them, I have had good luck with Cheng Shin tires. I have a set of the cheapest ones on my XT225 right now, with several thousand off road/dirt road miles on them, and they are holding up very well. I have 2 more sets stored in black plastic bags in the closet for use when those wear out, as I got them on closeout, and don't think the make them anymore.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
I use Kenda A413. Seems to be a decent tire, good price, lots of sizes.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post

One more question, I think (I need to read the manual or tires) that the size I need are 3.00 r10 would a 120-90r10 fit? I saw the kendas and like the design for more off road... but I worry about how they fit.

Thanks

Damasovi
No. The 120/90-10 is for the Longcase Ruckus/Zuma style motors. A 90/90-10 will fit fine. If you can get a 3.5-10 to fit without rubbing, that would be the cheapest and best solution as far as options. Usually the biggest you can stuff into something that will take a 3.5-10 is a 100/90-10. European tire brands don't tend to last as long as the Asian brands, that's why a lot of people go for the expensive ones once and then return to Kenda or Vee Rubber.

Motovista screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 08:55 AM
Motovista is offline   Reply With Quote