Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #1846
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I hope the Tech 3 team enjoyed their air time last year. I guess that's what you get when you sign a rider for a motogp seat 18 months in advance. The list is quite long on riders who would have been better for that seat. JMO.
Smith is about as fast as Bradl was last year at this stage. That's what I get from comparing the times. Given him half a season to get up to speed, and don't compare him with Marquez, who is a total alien.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #1847
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Smith is about as fast as Bradl was last year at this stage. That's what I get from comparing the times. Given him half a season to get up to speed, and don't compare him with Marquez, who is a total alien.
If Smith is on par with Bradl last season a lot of people will be eating their words. Bradl was impressive last year, I would love to see Smith be the same. He seems pretty humble, happy to be there, and willing to learn.
Not a fan of Brits per say, but other than Crutchlow they are all humble, but confident. I really like Redding, and Kent. Crutchlow is likable for other reasons.
I reread this, I meant being a fan fo Brits because they are British, just like I don't root for Americans because they have the same passport as me.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #1848
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,165
A Crutchlow interview that has appeared in several guises. Insightful and interesting to read, to say the least.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2013/...chposttest.htm
Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #1849
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post

I was thinking more along the lines of Paul Espargo or Scott Redding at least from the moto2 guys. Personally I would have loved to see RdP on that bike. Given that Bradl was on a Honda and Smith on a Yamaha I don't think the comparison is totally accurate. The Yamaha is a year old for the most part with a lot of data in the team on set up whereas the Honda was new. Anyway maybe I am rushing judgement or, just wanted to see someone else on that bike but I'll be surprised in Smith gets a top 5 in a normal race.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #1850
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of Paul Espargo or Scott Redding at least from the moto2 guys. Personally I would have loved to see RdP on that bike. Given that Bradl was on a Honda and Smith on a Yamaha I don't think the comparison is totally accurate. The Yamaha is a year old for the most part with a lot of data in the team on set up whereas the Honda was new. Anyway maybe I am rushing judgement or, just wanted to see someone else on that bike but I'll be surprised in Smith gets a top 5 in a normal race.
I think 1.6 seconds back as a pure rookie on a satellite bike isn't too bad at all.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #1851
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
I think 1.6 seconds back as a pure rookie on a satellite bike isn't too bad at all.
Time will tell. Of course before the season started last year I also that Spies was going to given JLo a run for his money on more than one occasion.

My biggest hope for this year is that everyone stays healthy.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #1852
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
My biggest hope for this year is that everyone stays healthy.
I can agree with that!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #1853
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,271
Quote:
He didn't make much of a splash in moto2, dunno why he rates such a good ride. Iannone would have been much more effective on that bike. Or Redding. Shit, there's gotta be a dozen names with better credentials in the paddock, and yet he gets it.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #1854
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,150
Quote:
It's about a second better than Nick was as a rookie, on a works Honda and Michelins . . .

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #1855
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
He didn't make much of a splash in moto2, dunno why he rates such a good ride. Iannone would have been much more effective on that bike. Or Redding. Shit, there's gotta be a dozen names with better credentials in the paddock, and yet he gets it.
Shitty bike is the reason given for his moto2 performance.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #1856
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,385
Quote:
Well, shitty bike has worked well enough as an excuse in the top class ...

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #1857
tinhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
The Showa suspension has shown well in testing, I'm picking Bautista to finish ahead of Bradl on a consistent basis.
tinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #1858
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Quote:
Exactly. Anyone paying attention knows his Moto 2 bike was a dog.

Tech 3 probably can't afford anywhere near what Ducati is paying Ianonne (whose own performances were pretty dodgy last year, mostly due to an under performing bike, we all know he is very fast).

What has Redding done? He shows a lot of promise and bursts of speed. His results are not spectacular. 6 podiums and 0 wins in Moto 2.

Espargaro will be very good when he moves to Moto GP, if there is a good bike available for him. He will prove his mettle this season with the whole world expecting him to win the Moto 2 title. He was awesome last season.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #1859
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:

What has Redding done? He shows a lot of promise and bursts of speed. His results are not spectacular. 6 podiums and 0 wins in Moto 2.

Espargaro will be very good when he moves to Moto GP, if there is a good bike available for him. He will prove his mettle this season with the whole world expecting him to win the Moto 2 title. He was awesome last season.
Obviously not saying he's in the same class as MM but Redding has gone toe-toe with MM and come out on top. Same with Espargo. I was the last person to give praise to redding prior to last season but for me at least, he showed he's got some sack battling with MM. (not to be confused with him showing me his sack). The guy definitely seems to suffer at the end of races. Maybe his size has something to do with that?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #1860
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
It's about a second better than Nick was as a rookie, on a works Honda and Michelins . . .
Please.