Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #16
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,864
There's nothing like the satisfaction of working on your own bike and thinking about how to spend the cash you saved. Shiny tools, more farkles, another case of cheer....

OTOH, as a BMW Tech (briefly) I've seen many customers bikes which have sufferred greatly in their owners hands. A husband and wife team came in with their GS's for service one day. Hubby was bragging about all the service he'd done to them. I took him aside and whispered "Are you trying to kill your wife?" Then explained what loose parts and forgotten steps I found.

Bottom line, wrenching things is fun and a great way to learn but maybe your bike is not the best way to learn the basics if you're inexperienced. Know your limitations and get help if needed. Or at the very least, only work on your own bike.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #17
990 OP
Krap To Maintain

Oddometer: 191
I know what you mean, I suffer from mechanical dyslexia or as my mate puts it "fix it till its broken". I like taking my bike to the KTM agent because he is a mate of mine, and he lets me stand and watch as her strips and assembles my bike. I always read the forum on certain procedures so I can tell him what to do IE the ABS sensor when he changed my front tyre but as far as working on my bike its " strip and a half a turn back"

14 BMW GS 1200 LC
13 KTM 1190 Adv
08 KTM 990 Adv
990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
nomadb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Thumb 10.000km service, my experience

Well here is my experience;
The bike was serviced last year at the dealer for 1.000km service.
AT 8.500 km the service sign came up, be cause it was over a year.
I have tried setting an appointment with the local BMW but I was not able to reach at their service department. Later on I was told they had a problem with the phones.

On the youtube I have found the link for the oil change and the air filter change. Literaly it is so easy on F800GS, I decided to do it my self.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O39K0BPDzk

Only hassle was to get the oil filter out. I couldn't locate ant special tools for it. So I have done it with a good old pipe wrench.
I have used a castrol 10-40W 3 litres was put in. (cost 40USD)
I have changed the crusher washer (cost 1 USD)
I have preferred to use the BMW oil filter (23USD)
The air filter was in good condition so I did not change it.
The whole cost so far is 64USD.

I was carefull while putting the new oil filter. First oiled the gasket of the new filter. I have went as far as I can with hands. Than turned it with the wrench around 3/4 of a turn. This should be enough. (I would have preferred the K&N but it was not available).

I will get the brake fluids done professionally. My thrusty mechanic should be able to do that.

And I need to set the service interval on the ODO. For which you need a special tool from this guys. 300USD, No, Thanks!
http://www.gs911usa.com/
nomadb is offline   Reply With Quote