Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #1246
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
That's what I get for trying to answer from memory. So it ends before the battery. I was right about venting to air though.
Close enough.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #1247
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
It doesn't connect to anything. It vents to air and is routed inside the outer frame back past the battery. It ends just past the battery.
Interesting that CARB allows anything that vents fuel to go to the atmosphere. I would not have expected that.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #1248
rockscrambler
rock climber

Oddometer: 4
thanks again guys
rockscrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #1249
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
This one:

Goes here: Pay attention, the photos will mislead you. The 1st pic shows the hose goes to the left, the second shows the hose comes in from the left (backwards).

That's how my 640 Enduro is set up.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #1250
Bullettwo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Thanks Laramie! I have only one question; can I substitute wine for the beer? I'm thinking that margheritas and carburetor work might not be a good match.
Bullettwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #1251
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Unless I misunderstood rockscrambler's post, he had already identified the petcock vacuum line.

Regards,

Derek

P.S.: What's "205d" mean?

its some long story of a guy telling a story the second time.. ior something along those lines...long story short. you answer a quesion just before someone else has or post something that seems new but someone has beaten you to the punch...

By the way Derek thank you so much for the racing support I will be working on the bike for the next month and will update you!
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #1252
Sane
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hello mates! I got Aprilia Pegaso,1994.,with two BST 33 carbs,and i am wondering,is this the right way to set float heigts??

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...hlight=jetting

Any sudgestions on how to properly clean an adjust these carbs?

Much obliged
Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #1253
clicheche
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! wicked thread, but i need help with the state of my carb!

got the carb completely disassembled, and i took notes as to what seemed to be missing in comparison to the bst-40 bible.

i have no washer on the needle, aside from the white plastic one. the needle has only one ring for the snap ring to pop into, thus only offering one height.

i have no float weight on my float, just some clip assembly.
i have no needle valve, period. space was empty.

the idle jet is marked at 42.5, will need to increase to 47.5 with the airbox mod and new jet?
the main jet was marked with, from what i can tell, -782M(some box thing)Y-5
the o-ring for the main jet looks like there are 3 gouges out of them, though i am not certain. should this o ring be super smooth?

well there you have it. i have my bike inoperable, though i am nearing some measure of resolution with its fuel delivery system.
here's hoping i can get this carb in a happier state.

thanks a boatload for the info in this community everyone. its been cool

ps: i live at a really high elevation, do i want less gas/more gas to air ratio?
and furthermore, if i do the airbox mod, (allowing more air intake, nothing huge, just probly 600-800% bigger than the stock snorkel hole) would i want more fuel to air ratio regardless?
clicheche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #1254
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicheche View Post
got the carb completely disassembled, and i took notes as to what seemed to be missing in comparison to the bst-40 bible.

i have no washer on the needle, aside from the white plastic one. the needle has only one ring for the snap ring to pop into, thus only offering one height.

the idle jet is marked at 42.5, will need to increase to 47.5 with the airbox mod and new jet?
the o-ring for the main jet looks like there are 3 gouges out of them, though i am not certain. should this o ring be super smooth?

well there you have it. i have my bike inoperable, though i am nearing some measure of resolution with its fuel delivery system.

ps: i live at a really high elevation, do i want less gas/more gas to air ratio?
and furthermore, if i do the airbox mod, (allowing more air intake, nothing huge, just probly 600-800% bigger than the stock snorkel hole) would i want more fuel to air ratio regardless?
If you open the airbox you change the pressure and will need to open the exhaust. What exhaust are you running?
What bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #1255
clicheche
Adventurer

not sure what exhaust i'm running.
'07 suzuki dr650
Old 04-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #1256
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The bible starts off with a KTM carb, also a BST-40. As you've found there are some differences.

Quote:
Correct.

Quote:
It's hiding in here.

Quote:
No, stay with the 42.5
Quote:
Stock is a 140 and should be stamped on the jet. 150, 160 are common for a jet kit.
Quote:
Some one else will have to help here. The main jet doesn't have an o-ring.

Quote:

Hang in there, we'll get you through this.

Quote:
Technically, you want the same ratio. Since we have less air at altitude, we need smaller jets.
Quote:
How high? I live and ride at 6000+ feet. My DR runs better with a 135MJ here.

Don't worry about your exhaust for now, it's the least of the issues.

Quote:
Old 04-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #1257
clicheche
Adventurer

just realized today it was a ktm carb!

noticed the hiding float weight. makes sense
leaving the fuel screw at 42.5 is fine for idling?
i noticed the stamp on the nut for the main jet, not on the jet itself. 140 it was.

the washer i said was for the main jet, was definitely for the jet slide support (white plastic piece), not the jet itself

i live @ 3500 feet above sea level.

i only cut out about 150% more of the initial air intake opening. did you do an air box mod?

any opinion on the premise of a k&n air filter for more air? would it help with the thinner air at high elevation?

i threw on one tiny washer against the needle spacer in the carb... hope it won't be too much of an issue. and i drilled out the slide for the slide suction to respond faster to throttle.

also put together this manual choke, as my cable was seized inside the carb.

everything's put back together, next up is the direct power to the headlight, and i'm about done for this year. changed the plugs as well.
the bike only had 12xxxkms on it. the plugs were black. not oily black, but burnt black... sign of being too rich right?

the largest exhaust hose from the carburetor, is it required to be that long? can i move it out of the way? for more air flow to the air box? i saw a post where someone moved it out of that area at any rate...

thanks a ton for the response, it gave me the go ahead to just check it out and go ahead. i had problems with it stalling and it had trouble starting from time to time. usually cold starts as usual. we'll see how it goes this year!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #1258
clicheche
Adventurer

petcock?

what is the petcock vacuum line for?
reason i ask, is i don't have a line coming out of the top of the carb... this a bad thing?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #1259
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
just realized today it was a ktm carb!

Quote:
leaving the fuel screw at 42.5 is fine for idling?
The 42.5 is stamped on the pilot jet. And, yes, the DR is happy with 42.5 in most applications. The fuel screw goes here (and isn't stamped with anything):

Quote:
i noticed the stamp on the nut for the main jet, not on the jet itself. 140 it was.
The 140 is stamped directly on the jet.

Quote:
the washer i said was for the main jet, was definitely for the jet slide support (white plastic piece), not the jet itself
I think you're talking about this o-ring. Look closely in the pic you can see the bumps that indent the o-ring. I just align the indents with the bumps.

Quote:
i live @ 3500 feet above sea level.
I have to leave the state to get that LOW.

Quote:
i only cut out about 150% more of the initial air intake opening. did you do an air box mod?
I cut a second hole in the top of my airbox, it's about the same size as the snorkel hole (and my snorkel is out).

Quote:
any opinion on the premise of a k&n air filter for more air? would it help with the thinner air at high elevation?
I'm not a k&n fan. The k&n flows more air, it also flows more dust.

Quote:
i threw on one tiny washer against the needle spacer in the carb... hope it won't be too much of an issue. and i drilled out the slide for the slide suction to respond faster to throttle.
You put the washer between the e-clip and the white plastic washer, right? In this gap (and then slid together). Derek will be along in a minute to tell you that you shouldn't have drilled the slide.

Quote:
changed the plugs as well.
the bike only had 12xxxkms on it. the plugs were black. not oily black, but burnt black... sign of being too rich right?
Edited to correct terminology:
Yes, but your choke cold start enrichment plunger was stuck, correct?

Quote:
the largest exhaust hose from the carburetor, is it required to be that long? can i move it out of the way? for more air flow to the air box? i saw a post where someone moved it out of that area at any rate...
I'm not a Suzuki engineer, I leave those things alone. My second airbox hole is behind that filter.

Quote:
what is the petcock vacuum line for?
reason i ask, is i don't have a line coming out of the top of the carb... this a bad thing?
It's what opens the stock petcock to let gas flow. Does your petcock look exactly like this?

If it does, the little hose goes here:

Quote:
thanks a ton for the response, it gave me the go ahead to just check it out and go ahead. we'll see how it goes this year!
You're welcome, have fun, ride safe.

Quote:

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 02:06 PM
Old 04-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #1260
clicheche
Adventurer

wicked thorough! unreal. thanks a trillion.

so shit. drilled the slide, hopefully it isn't the end of the world. i can always gung it up with some goop or something. why should one not drill it out? aside from the fact that suzuki engineers are much more inclined to know what the hell they're doing than me.

i did not place the washer between the white spacer washer and the snap ring. it's on the outside of the white spacer washer. i saw it that way on the bst-40 bible thread and thought that was the way to do it!

does this mean i'm taking it all apart again?